Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Those are great links. Thank you. HTML seems to be involved with both, so it's still a bit confusing, at least to me.

Programming is the underlying structure, so while I always designed my sales and academic pages with from-scratch html (not CSS, which I need to learn), I wonder if the web programming is necessary. I just don't know.
HTML just provides content a structure. It's a markup language that provides organization so you can create visual effects (bulleted lists, paragraphs, etc). HTML is used heavily by both, web designers and web developers.

CSS adds on presentation (visual formatting). You cannot make a good website without knowing CSS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 10:54 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know what the default is Gungir but I have WHM server and simply select America/New York and set it in the php.ini. Not sure if PHP inherits it from server config but I would imagine it would. I only have one application that uses time and that defaults to America/New york, if you are logged in/register you can switch to your personal time zone.
Nope default is timezone agnostic.

Makes sense, because as a web based language, you just need to provide UTC to a client and then apply any TZ adjustment, whereas using local time you need to switch time to UTC first then local time

i.e France is UTC +1 last Sunday in Oct to last Sunday in March, UTC +2 the rest of the year, EDT is UTC-5 first Sunday in Nov to second Sunday in March EST UTC-4 the rest of the year. So French client with Eastern Standard/Daylight needs to figure out EST/EDT then offset France time based on figuring out whether its daylight savings, or standard, more complexity more room for error. Using UTC for everything you just need to figure out offset from your destination.

That is if you want to present local time on the client synched to the server.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Makes sense, because as a web based language, you just need to provide UTC to a client and then apply any TZ adjustment, whereas using local time you need to switch time to UTC first then local time

i.e France is UTC +1 last Sunday in Oct to last Sunday in March, UTC +2 the rest of the year, EDT is UTC-5 first Sunday in Nov to second Sunday in March EST UTC-4 the rest of the year. So French client with Eastern Standard/Daylight needs to figure out EST/EDT then offset France time based on figuring out whether its daylight savings, or standard, more complexity more room for error. Using UTC for everything you just need to figure out offset from your destination.

That is if you want to present local time on the client synched to the server.
I would hope the default is UTC. Anything else would be ludicrous.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

As far as I know Gungir the server syncs to some time server UTC. Setting the configuration to America/New York give me the correct time for myself for example in server logs. UTC doesn't do me any good once written to the log.

Same thing with a PHP script, any time defaults to America/New York. If the user is logged in or registering they can select their personal time zone.

Quote:
This would require JS, yes? I see there is time tag for HTML but I don't see any example to adjust based on the users system time.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I would hope the default is UTC. Anything else would be ludicrous.

I think you are missing the point, why would I want UTC in log file?

--edit---

That may make sense if multiple people from multiple time zones are looking at them but certainly not if they are all on same time zone.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I think you are missing the point, why would I want UTC in log file?
Why wouldn't you want UTC in a log file? Splunk (and alternatives), NewRelic (or DataDog and alternatives) rely on UTC timestamps to track log data and agent data.

I haven't used the PHP NewRelic agent myself... primarily because I stopped using PHP over a decade ago. But I understand that there's legacy applications still using PHP and there's good support for it in Splunk, etc. Maybe using a specified timezone is the PHP way, but if so, that's an exception in the web application space.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
That may make sense if multiple people from multiple time zones are looking at them but certainly not if they are all on same time zone.
You can specify your preferred timezone in Splunk so that all sources (application logs, cloudwatch, cloudfront logs) will be matched up and converted in your views. You don't even have to worry about it in your log queries.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Why wouldn't you want UTC in a log file?

For starters if I'm in WHM/Cpanel you can view the last 200 lines of raw log, same thing if I want to grab the tail end with SSH. If I'm doing anything extensive with the entire log I'm using Notepad++. e.g Search for IP and bookmark the line, remove unbookmed lines which gives me all activity from same IP.

Same thing with email alerts with logs or whatever else I have gong on....

Old 12-14-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm inquiring in order to understand what these associate degree programs are about, and if (b) would be useful for ecommerce purposes.
Neither of these are academic degree programs. If you want to become one of these, I suggest taking some computer science classes at a local university and then doing a bootcamp.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
For starters if I'm in WHM/Cpanel you can view the last 200 lines of raw log, same thing if I want to grab the tail end with SSH. If I'm doing anything extensive with the entire log I'm using Notepad++. e.g Search for IP and bookmark the line, remove unbookmed lines which gives me all activity from same IP.

Same thing with email alerts with logs or whatever else I have gong on....
Ah. It's been over a decade since I've used cPanel (or PHP for that matter). I think for the purpose of the OP who is considering entering this field, it would be best to look past legacy technologies and focus on something more modern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers