Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,538,799 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine, who is an MD., in Aleppo, Syria, where there is a civil war, asked me to go to and Apple store, and buy him "an internet and wi-fi " card because he cannot email me due to the instability of his country, electricity on/off daily, etc., etc.,

It is very difficult to understanding him on the telephone, because he has an accent, and his voice is very deep. I am not very savvy on computers, so does anyone here knows what it is that he wants?

Thanking you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 12:27 PM

62,243 posts, read 88,136,454 times
Wireless Internet cards come in several forms. Different cards exist for laptops, desktops and PDAs. Many computers come with one preinstalled, but they can also be purchased relatively inexpensively and self-installed or simply inserted into a slot on the side of the computer.

Just go to the Apple store and tell them what he said. They will help you with that...

Old 02-18-2020, 12:29 PM

7,506 posts, read 6,320,990 times
Go to an Apple Store and tell them exactly what he said. They may know.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:20 PM

6,605 posts, read 11,363,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
A friend of mine, who is an MD., in Aleppo, Syria, where there is a civil war, asked me to go to and Apple store, and buy him "an internet and wi-fi " card because he cannot email me due to the instability of his country, electricity on/off daily, etc., etc.,

It is very difficult to understanding him on the telephone, because he has an accent, and his voice is very deep. I am not very savvy on computers, so does anyone here knows what it is that he wants?

Thanking you in advance,
I don't think he knows what he's talking about either. In the end, it may be a wasted effort.

Unless he's using some super old Mac/Macbook, it should have wifi built-in. However, there has to be a wifi network to connect to. If electrical power is an issue, you'll likely have an unstable network to connect to.

If he's asking you to get a cellular connection - you will need both a wifi card for the computer and a cellular modem. Apple doesn't sell cellular modems (unless they're partnered with someone that does like ATT). And in this day and age, most will just use their smartphones to tether the computer to. But again, you need a cellular network to connect to. I'm going to guess that it would be much easier to just get a phone from Syria. It's unlikely you can just buy something from the Apple store here and have it work in Syria without anything additional (at least a SIM card with the local provider).

Just a guess based on the info given. In the end, someone still has to provide that connection to the Internet.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:33 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I don't think he knows what he's talking about either. In the end, it may be a wasted effort.

Unless he's using some super old Mac/Macbook, it should have wifi built-in. However, there has to be a wifi network to connect to. If electrical power is an issue, you'll likely have an unstable network to connect to.

If he's asking you to get a cellular connection - you will need both a wifi card for the computer and a cellular modem. Apple doesn't sell cellular modems (unless they're partnered with someone that does like ATT). And in this day and age, most will just use their smartphones to tether the computer to. But again, you need a cellular network to connect to. I'm going to guess that it would be much easier to just get a phone from Syria. It's unlikely you can just buy something from the Apple store here and have it work in Syria without anything additional (at least a SIM card with the local provider).

Just a guess based on the info given. In the end, someone still has to provide that connection to the Internet.
That was my thought as well. What OP probably needs is a Syrian-compatible hotspot, and the easiest solution would probably be an Android or iPhone cellular phone with a local SIM card that provides hotspot data. The SIM would have to be procured locally or through one of those (rather expensive) global SIMs that provides data service and coverage in Syria.

Or some sort of satellite phone with data, which is bound to be extremely expensive.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:45 PM

16,620 posts, read 19,865,916 times
Do you really know this guy?

Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM

Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Do you really know this guy?

I met him about a month ago, through Facebook.....

Old 02-19-2020, 05:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,367,374 times
Quote:
One suggestion...don’t send any funds to Syria through Western Union...

Old 02-20-2020, 09:33 AM

6,605 posts, read 11,363,844 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
One suggestion...don’t send any funds to Syria through Western Union...
Uh... yea. I don't think you need to be spending any money on this guy.
Your moral support and encouragement is good enough for now.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Uh... yea. I don't think you need to be spending any money on this guy.
Your moral support and encouragement is good enough for now.
You are so right!!!!!! Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers