Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe Govt still insists on sing IE. It's ridiculous.

Microsoft has suggested to stop using it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ecurity-chief/

When a company that makes a thing says stop using that thing we make... you should stop.

If you were just doing this on internal network with no access to the internet not really a problem.

The web interface might of been built using IE only features and/or the HTML/CSS is not suitable for other browsers. It's not as bad as it used to be but you could get significantly different page renderings with different browsers, they all have their quirks and bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,514,308 times
Some legacy software was written using active-x software controls, which only work these days with IE11.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,481,799 times
Having worked in IT for the dept. of human services, this does not surprise me any. They often have proprietary software that does not keep up with the latest and greatest, because they are on a budget which does not allow the technology to "keep up with the Joneses".

Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 PM

8,337 posts, read 13,474,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Having worked in IT for the dept. of human services, this does not surprise me any. They often have proprietary software that does not keep up with the latest and greatest, because they are on a budget which does not allow the technology to "keep up with the Joneses".
Yup, I agree. They might be using a 3rd-party app/plug-in that is only certified to work with IE back in 2008 and they never bothered to update or re-certify. Same silliness goes for MS Office as well. I was working for an aerospace company's IT dept. back in 2014, and even though we managed to upgrade Office to 2010 for everyone, 2013 was not compatible with some of the apps they were using. Some of the engineers were still using apps made with Access 97 15 years earlier by someone working there at the time.

We couldn't support the apps but since the company was too cheap/negligent to offer a suitable alternative, we were stuck with offering band-aid fixes. I ended up making a simple script to copy it to newly imaged replacement workstations so they would be able to continue using that very dated but very useful set of apps. From what I have seen, engineering firms and government offices can have archaic apps/versions still lingering around like that.
Probably getting better now due to security concerns but they will always be a bit behind, regardless.

Btw, every version of Windows comes with IE as it embedded and share parts of the code with Windows Explorer. which is why you are able to launch a web site from within the address bar of a Windows Explorer window.

You should always be able to launch it by: START > RUN > iexplore > OK

Once it is open, you can right-click its taskbar window at the bottom and select pin to Taskbar, etc.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-24-2020 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 11:11 AM

21,893 posts, read 25,208,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I can't believe Govt still insists on sing IE. It's ridiculous.

Microsoft has suggested to stop using it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ecurity-chief/

When a company that makes a thing says stop using that thing we make... you should stop.
One of the software vendors I use does as well. It's not even IE 11, won't work with IE 11. It's IE 11 in IE 10 compatibility mode. The newer version is all web based and SaaS though, so there's still an awful lot of companies running the older one. That said, from my end I actually prefer the older one for the front end interface. Years ago they were saying they were going to redo the old desktop front end to interface with the new web based database but they've never done it so you're stuck using the browser. Older version you just need to log in with IE to make configurations which then are distributed out to the front end clients. Of course, you have to log out and log in so whenever configuration changes get made everyone has to log out

Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,518,771 times
I am working form home today - I have to use Internet Explorer too. On Win 10 - just type in "internet explorer" in the search box on the task bar. The app will come up that way. It normally doesn't appear on the start menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers