Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 11:55 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times

Advertisements

My Norton antivirus software for 5 devices is due to expire in 43 days. I cancelled the automatic renewal feature because I only have 3 devices and never needed it for 5 devices. I am considering upgrading it to Norton 360 for 3 devices.

The renewal prices seemed to be all over the place during the past 3 years. The first message reminder to renew would be at one price and if I did not renew right away, I would get another reminder at a lower price. By the time I got a 3rd reminder the price had dropped even further. I am concerned that automatic renewals would renew at a much higher price - so I cancelled automatic renewal for 5 devices.

I am considering getting the Norton 360 version that they had been offering as a free upgrade to my present Norton software. But, since I don't need it for 5 devices, I would buy it for three devices.

I see the prices for Norton 360 deluxe for 3 devices thru Amazon download with automatic renewal for only $29. If I buy it at Staples the cost is more than double that price.

Just looking for the best way to upgrade to Norton 360 deluxe for 3 devices and not get slammed with much higher renewal prices when it is time for renewal the following year.

Any suggestions? If I try to renew thru my present software it will only renew for 5 devices. It does not allow me to renew for just 3 devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 11:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,382,850 times
Why would you waste money on this??

Just use Windows Defender that's included in Windows 10, and install Malwarebytes if you're really worried.

If you really like throwing money away, go spend it on Norton. Me? I'd rather flush it down the toilet, it would be more entertaining.

I had an elderly neighbor who would pay annually for WebRoot anti-virus. Finally helped her get rid of it when she was needing to renew, put her on Windows Defender. It's been 2 years now and her PC runs faster, and she has had zero virus issues.

If you really want to be secure, spend that money to buy a Chromebook ($200 - $300), which will be way faster, last longer, and virus-proof.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Why would you waste money on this??

Just use Windows Defender that's included in Windows 10, and install Malwarebytes if you're really worried.

If you really like throwing money away, go spend it on Norton. Me? I'd rather flush it down the toilet, it would be more entertaining.

I had an elderly neighbor who would pay annually for WebRoot anti-virus. Finally helped her get rid of it when she was needing to renew, put her on Windows Defender. It's been 2 years now and her PC runs faster, and she has had zero virus issues.

If you really want to be secure, spend that money to buy a Chromebook ($200 - $300), which will be way faster, last longer, and virus-proof.
You do realize that Windows Defender is not free, right?

Old 01-26-2021, 07:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
My Norton antivirus software for 5 devices is due to expire in 43 days. I cancelled the automatic renewal feature because I only have 3 devices and never needed it for 5 devices. I am considering upgrading it to Norton 360 for 3 devices.

The renewal prices seemed to be all over the place during the past 3 years. The first message reminder to renew would be at one price and if I did not renew right away, I would get another reminder at a lower price. By the time I got a 3rd reminder the price had dropped even further. I am concerned that automatic renewals would renew at a much higher price - so I cancelled automatic renewal for 5 devices.

I am considering getting the Norton 360 version that they had been offering as a free upgrade to my present Norton software. But, since I don't need it for 5 devices, I would buy it for three devices.

I see the prices for Norton 360 deluxe for 3 devices thru Amazon download with automatic renewal for only $29. If I buy it at Staples the cost is more than double that price.

Just looking for the best way to upgrade to Norton 360 deluxe for 3 devices and not get slammed with much higher renewal prices when it is time for renewal the following year.

Any suggestions? If I try to renew thru my present software it will only renew for 5 devices. It does not allow me to renew for just 3 devices.
If there is something that you use with N360 (e.g I believe VPN and lifelock is included) and want to continue, then by all means. Maybe do a chat with them and see if they can point you in the right direction?

That said - in general, AV is a reactionary tool. It's something you need/want, but it's not the end all in terms of security for your computer. In that sense, there are also free products out there that provide just as good (or even better in some cases) AV protection.

You may want to visit av-test .org and do some research. Norton is a top recommended product there. But so are some free products such as Avast.

At the end of the day - when you look at AV products, they all work similar. The bigger factor is the person behind the keyboard.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:53 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

It is easy. NEVER RENEW. Cancel automatic renewal and start over and you will always find a give-away price. Works every year for me for several devices.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:58 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Your plan is "up to 5 devices". That's it. Many plans are like this. It's not cheaper if you only do 3.
I get 5 copies of MS Office. There is no cheaper plan for less then 5.
Just renew at the best price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
You do realize that Windows Defender is not free, right?
How much is it then?

Old 01-26-2021, 08:37 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Use free windows defender

Old 01-26-2021, 12:53 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How much is it then?
It says I need to purchase Microsoft Windows. Do you have a direct link to where it can be downloaded for free?

Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
You're not using Windows? It only works on Windows.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're not using Windows? It only works on Windows.
A lot of people don't already have Windows. And to be fair, the OP never mentioned they were using Windows. Norton works on several operating systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers