Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 01:11 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, that will work fine.
Thanks.
I haven't canceled the Spectrum tech appointment tomorrow. I wonder if I should? Will they charge me if it's not their fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 01:46 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I don't think they will charge you. Let them come, there might be a bad port on their equipment too, which he will then replace.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:17 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Even on many laptops the ethernet is on a small daughterboard just because they die so often. Most are straightforward to replace (well as easy as anything on a laptop)

If it is a desktop using some type of plug in cards it is even easier.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:28 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks.
I haven't canceled the Spectrum tech appointment tomorrow. I wonder if I should? Will they charge me if it's not their fault?
They might! They tried to charge me when it WAS their fault.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
They might! They tried to charge me when it WAS their fault.
Did they warn you in advance?

After some thought, considering the likelihood it's not their problem (since the ethernet still doesn't work with the brand new modem and router), and the inconvenience of having to do thorough disinfection after a tech visit, I canceled the appointment the evening before the appointment. I plan to buy a USB ethernet adapter, and if it still doesn't work I'll call them again.

The lightning strike has always seemed to be only a theoretical possiblity to me until now.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:24 AM

230 posts, read 189,082 times
I carry one of these in my tech bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gives me USB ports and an ethernet jack that I use to diagnose problems. It might be a good fit for your PC.

Old 07-14-2021, 01:33 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
I carry one of these in my tech bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It gives me USB ports and an ethernet jack that I use to diagnose problems. It might be a good fit for your PC.
Roger that.

My Lenovo laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. I bought an Ethernet-to-USB adapter so that I could plug into my home router and into my company's LAN, but the above item costs about the same and has more utility.

Old 08-08-2021, 04:59 PM

Just received the TP Link USB to Ethernet adapter, plugged in, ran installation, and it's working!

(Proves that indeed it was the Ethernet port that was destroyed--now I have a story to tell )

Thanks again for all the replies!

Old 08-08-2021, 06:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
and they do just flat wear out and lose connection .. i have to get a new cable about every year ..

You must be abusing your cable. When I managed a commercial test lab we were using cables for years with no problems. The only problem I had was users who would unplug the cable from a machine and try to pull it backwards thru a bundle of cables and break off the little plastic tab, (Then they would put it back in place and pretend it didn't happen). My cables at home are ones we didn't use because they didn't match our color coding standards. Some I have are the ones that came with Sun Workstations when we bought them new (and those machines were retired over 10 years ago). The only cables I have had go bad have been 1)chewed on by a cat, 2) sucked into the beater bar of a vacuum(more than one), 3 walked on in my kids room for several months until the outer covering broke completely down (cable still worked, I replaced it on GPs), and run through a sliding door and then forgotten about. Other tan that I have more Cat 5 cables than I can ever use.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:19 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Thanks for reporting back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You must be abusing your cable.
Agree. No way that's expected behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers