Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 04:20 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,449,975 times

Advertisements

My computer can see a full disk in the dvd drive, it just can't see the blank one I put in so I can burn my files.

This problem is not new. When I first got my computer it couldn't see the blank disk, either. Something happened, and it started working fine suddenly. Now, suddenly, as well, it again refuses to "see" there's a blank dvd in the drive.

I've tried updating all the drivers, uninstalling some computer cleaners (thinking this might be the culprit), doing windows update, checking the device management, and even added a registry key per the exact instructions on a website. Nothing has helped. Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 07:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,834,875 times
You've done a pretty good job of stepping through Error Diagnostic procedures.
How about trying different brands of blanks, and different capacities?
Also, did you try to see if that blank is recognized in another burner?

- I've got an LG burner that's labeled for BR burning on down (so ... it should be able to Read & Write everything), but it doesn't detect DVD-DL (Double Layer) blanks. <shrug>

Old 09-21-2021, 07:54 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,449,975 times
I did run a scan to see what might be the problem, and it said everything was running fine.

The one thing I do notice is that the computer says it has a DVD drive in File Explorer, but it seems to think it only has a CD player in other places. But I know for a fact that the DVD drive does/has worked in the past, since I've burned DVD ROMs plenty of times. I figure maybe it needs a component? Maybe I uninstalled or shut off something it had, but what?

As for your burner not being able to recognize a certain type of disk, though it's supposed to, I have dealt with something similar, in my case it was a virus. Or a corrupted driver.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,745,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
As for your burner not being able to recognize a certain type of disk, though it's supposed to, I have dealt with something similar, in my case it was a virus. Or a corrupted driver.
Sometimes it is the drive. I've seen instances where a DVD drive won't read DVD-R disks. But -RW just fine.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,501,873 times
been a long time since I fought with those, but they are finicky with certain media. Are you sure you're using the same blank DVD's that you used when it was working? Do you know the make/model of the DVD drive? Can use that to look up specs.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,834,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sometimes it is the drive. I've seen instances where a DVD drive won't read DVD-R disks. But -RW just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
THE OP: .... As for your burner not being able to recognize a certain type of disk, though it's supposed to, I have dealt with something similar, in my case it was a virus. Or a corrupted driver.
I strongly doubt this is a problem from a virus. It's almost certainly a problem with drivers (you checked), the media, or the hardware not liking that specific manufacture's media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
been a long time since I fought with those, but they are finicky with certain media. Are you sure you're using the same blank DVD's that you used when it was working? Do you know the make/model of the DVD drive? Can use that to look up specs.
RE: Not recognizing the media. I do know that some drives have trouble recognizing some media. That's why I suggested you try your blank in another drive, and other media in this drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers