Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 07:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 771,709 times

Advertisements

Doing an upgrade on an older computer.

Reviving a relic computer which was very expensive and is just collecting dust.
(consider downloads which are available on distrowatch.com specificity Q4 Debian from 386 to 12 core rock solid and resource conservative multiply versions that fit any project)

Just expanding your knowledge about what makes computers tick.

YouTube tutorials and websites like city-data are great supplements to reading and studying books which will prepare you to test your knowledge and obtain certifications if you wish to go further.

This might be a good example of a introduction to an (all in one) project that considers budget, longevity, upgrade ability, quality, compatibility, proven performance, learning experience, everyday utility and fun with understandable limitations.

As I have said on occasion I'm not a gamer so I can't speak from experience but found a few video's that qualify as two excellent reviews of the gamer experience on an older workstation and keeping a respectable budget. As seen below. The first is a budget friendly build with a capital B.

The second is a real frame by frame gaming experience by a professional video editor. Both videos are worth watching no matter what your level of computer experience is.

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3up8Y76Zic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHxOeK801s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 6,222 times
This is a very good informative thread,thank you corolla5speed

Old 05-24-2022, 02:07 AM

Default Thank you, I hope you and others have benefited from the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocjggh View Post
This is a very good informative thread,thank you corolla5speed

Older computers can be have a lot more utility, life, power, then most people realise long after they are considered an antique. Also carefully consider the documented specifications of a particular Brand, Model, Series, Version computer.
Lots of computer reviews of both new and old models exist.

Compare, learn and define the differences of your computer needs to a computers ability to meet those needs now and in the future using documented specifications and reviews. As has been presented, many variables have to be considered during computer selection. Read the original specifications of the HP-XW8400 workstation for instance keeping in mind this example is a 16 year old computer.

Now compare the HP XW8400's power supply wattage to the wattage of a computer of that era you have replaced. Now do the same with the RAM and CPU limitations. Do the same with Operating Systems that you are forced to upgrade or do not play nicely for extended periods of time (5 or more years without blinking).

Support is another subject that needs to be considered in the world of computer building. How important is the computer in your day to day life. (Do you work from home with a computer?) Questions like Operating System compatibility, backups, hardware availability, automatic battery backups, online support vs in house vs cost, cable vs fiber-optic vs satellite.

Next is a you-tube video about the experience of using Star Link satellite for internet connection. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az_SrNMcXQ0

Old 05-25-2022, 08:52 PM

34,896 posts, read 30,997,308 times
To me, the biggest challenge was getting the heatsink/fan affixed. Many coolers have to be put into place with what seems like an unusual amount of force. Aftermarket, large air coolers can be a bear to put on.

Old 05-26-2022, 06:22 PM

Default Glad you are using air coolers. Had to explain why Air vs Water cooling for first time builders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the biggest challenge was getting the heat-sink/fan affixed. Many coolers have to be put into place with what seems like an unusual amount of force. Aftermarket, large air coolers can be a bear to put on.

Computer cooling systems simply work to keep over all system components within the specification perimeters of design limits. Software tools to test these design limits are available, examples are measuring the temperatures of CPU's, graphics card's, memory, hard drives, fan speeds, etc. During a build or revision think of less being more. Pumps, liquid connections, etc add more failure points.

Convert an air ex-changer setup to liquid cooled system and now you have, water temps, various heat exchange mediums, air pressures and volumes, constant or variable flow volumes, etc to consider. Again everything has to do with the purpose of the computer presently and in the future.

Free monitoring software exists that runs the whole spectrum of complexity. Psensor, Stacer, Ksys-guard a few of hundreds of free system monitoring tools that exist (these are Linux examples). You tube has videos on many others you may be familiar with. Here is a couple of video's that give some in put from the heavy hitters. By now if you followed this thread you have figured out I'm conservative no modifications for me unless the the design engineers have made it more efficient and have data to back it up.

Getting back to your question I guess a lot more questions having to do with pumps and water adding compilations to your life have been presented. My rule of thumb on installs on anything having to do with a computer is if it's not going easily STOP RIGHT NOW and do more research, look more carefully, reread the install instructions, get help via you tube or the blogs etc. However in the example of a large 3rd party air ex-changer being forced onto a CPU pressuring both the chip and the mother board I would question the mounting hardware.

Here is where the pro's experience have led them. My experience questions a liquid cooling from the get go. I say start by doing all the measurements first and know the computers limitations and your expectations of the hardware now and in the future via research, then you can establish realistic goals future including budgeting.

You may have to do some reading or watch a video or two to get there. All three videos below are valuable.

enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vjWtUpItk

And another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j80dQIxkdc

So where is the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt5CNi0aEpI

Old 05-27-2022, 07:24 AM

16,484 posts, read 19,535,442 times
This is getting to be far to much, Corrolla. 5 pages, 10+ videos. There is such a thing as too much info, Anyone seriously considering a build is going to come here and see this and the eyes will glaze over... I mean add in the 4 HOUR VIDEO and you probably have 9 hours of videos here.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:16 PM

8,262 posts, read 13,346,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is getting to be far to much, Corrolla. 5 pages, 10+ videos. There is such a thing as too much info, Anyone seriously considering a build is going to come here and see this and the eyes will glaze over... I mean add in the 4 HOUR VIDEO and you probably have 9 hours of videos here.
Are you suggesting he should change his user name to corolla5pages?

Old 05-29-2022, 08:41 AM

Default corolla5speed works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Are you suggesting he should change his user name to corolla5pages?

Instructional Video's aren't a bad thing. Having an interest in building a computer could lead to obtaining what is called a STEM degree in college.

STEM in the academic world stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.

Jobs in STEM related fields are growing at a higher rate and higher pay than most other employment opportunities around the world.

As for the videos posted earlier in this thread I will grant you they are pretty dry, however the information presented in those video's if understood could lead to a great hobby, or a decision to pursue any one of many computer related educational opportunities, or job internships.

Most people don't get to work in a field at length while getting hands on experience, before going to collage. Same goes for those who choose not to go to college related experience opened many a hiring or internship door.

Ten hours of videos is a small price to pay for an open door that leads to one of the better opportunities that exists in today's working world.

Another interesting fact is, that only a small percentage of people who have degrees, actually work in the field that they have a degree in.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:01 PM

8,262 posts, read 13,346,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Instructional Video's aren't a bad thing. Having an interest in building a computer could lead to obtaining what is called a STEM degree in college.

STEM in the academic world stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.

Jobs in STEM related fields are growing at a higher rate and higher pay than most other employment opportunities around the world.

As for the videos posted earlier in this thread I will grant you they are pretty dry, however the information presented in those video's if understood could lead to a great hobby, or a decision to pursue any one of many computer related educational opportunities, or job internships.

Most people don't get to work in a field at length while getting hands on experience, before going to collage. Same goes for those who choose not to go to college related experience opened many a hiring or internship door.

Ten hours of videos is a small price to pay for an open door that leads to one of the better opportunities that exists in today's working world.

Another interesting fact is, that only a small percentage of people who have degrees, actually work in the field that they have a degree in.
Hey man, you don't have to convince me!

Personally, I don't really have a problem with you or anyone else posting a ton of extra videos and info.
I won't watch or read most of them but I am sure those who might be interested in, might. So, it is cool.

On the other hand, those who are interested in this would presumably know how to search and find this info, too. Still, you are a thoughtful person and I am sure some people will appreciate your help.

Keep it up (but hopefully under 5 pages! )

Old 05-30-2022, 06:12 AM

Default As a set or series of operations building, a computer is no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hey man, you don't have to convince me!

Personally, I don't really have a problem with you or anyone else posting a ton of extra videos and info.
I won't watch or read most of them but I am sure those who might be interested in, might. So, it is cool.

On the other hand, those who are interested in this would presumably know how to search and find this info, too. Still, you are a thoughtful person and I am sure some people will appreciate your help.

Keep it up (but hopefully under 5 pages! )

Thanks for the great reply, as you have said everyone uses their own motivation and experience when deciding, (if they should change the channel).

As a set or series of operations building, a computer is no big deal. Many examples and demonstrations of computer building exist all over the internet, in books, videos, in grammar school, jr. high, high school and college courses.

Those who do their own research on computer building will simply do a google search and come up with 288,000,000 choices in less then a second.

https://www.google.com/searchclient=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So many variables exist in computer building or rebuilding, upgrading.

So many computer manufacturers no longer exist, parts availability, and supply chains are a topics worth exploring.

Then you have the subject of computer longevity and some very expensive computers becoming obsolete.

Here is a link to a video which demonstrates restoring and upgrading MAC's that could be worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH55iTNJXH4

enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers