U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:20 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,340,902 times

Advertisements

not sure if this is the right forum or not.. ...

but here's my troubles.

one morning turning on the PC, and Blue Screen ...

A problem has been detected and window has been shut down.....

no changes had been made to the PC - no added hardware or software.

Tried to use SAFE MODE. nothing. it 'hung' on the last driver mup.sys

so i fully researched that ... a few places said it sounds like the power supply.... replaced that.

still nothing.

Found the emergency reinstall disk from Dell. popped that in, tried to use the "repair" function. Once i was able to get to the c:\windows prompt and ran chkdsk

the first time [and i forgot to write down what it told me... but it was something about corrupted or 'unfixable' files. The next time i tried to run chkdsk \f [because one of the 'blue screens' told me to] it said "There is no disk in drive or the file system is not supported."

I am at a loss... i always figured i could fix the problem if i could get to my C drive... but no luck as of yet. I spent 5 hrs today [including two runs to Best Buy for the power supply] and i'm pretty much at my wits end.

a few other tried to get SAFE MODE to load, and after it would stall at the drivers | mup.sys
then a BLue Screen would come up... the first time was

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

the next two times :
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then the last few times
REGISTRY _ERROR

I was talking to my dad - trying to brain storm... and he was saying something about the "partition" moving ?? can that happen and if so... how, and what can i do about fixing this?

fwiw -- Dell Dimension 8400
winXP sp2
currently, nothing connected to the PC with the exception of the keyboard and mouse.

Thanks HUGELY in advance for any input.

tcs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,056,076 times
Try this ? Recovering from a mup.sys boot hang on windows 2000 or XP. What is mup.sys anyway!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:21 PM

19,699 posts, read 59,595,835 times
Sounds like a hard drive dying to me, but you can try selecting the command prompt only or verify startup and respond with a yes to each driver but the last one. Unless you have a virus, corrupted files are typically caused by the actuator head not reading the correct spot on the hard drive, or writing data at an incorrect spot. The way I explain it to my customers is for them to imagine the actuator head as a tone arm and needle on an old record player, and the disk as the record. If the needle doesn't hit the record at the beginning of the song, you don't get to hear the whole thing. Likewise, if the actuator head reads a little too late (which is the typical failure mode from stiction), you don't get access to the beginning of the file. If it is application data, the file may be corrupted, but the system works. If a driver file or application is the one affected, the the problems are much worse.

I've had a lot of experience with this type of problem, and the software I wrote and sell has a couple of data files that are designed to be the first to fail in situations like this, and give an error that forces the customer to call me. (Proprietary info, sorry, can't tell you how I do it.) After the second or third call, I have them replace the drive, and then the problem goes away.

If it is the hard drive and not a virus, a last resort can be to turn the computer on its side (yeah, I know it sounds weird) so that the hard drive is perpendicular to its normal operating position - if it normally flat, this puts it on an edge, and visa versa. About one time out of three, it'll make the drive work long enough that you can offload the data.

Now that I've told you these secrets, you'll need to give me your real address, so I can kill you.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:10 AM

laying it on it's side didnt help. but thanks.

I've been at this for hours, again.. and still getting no where.

I've had a bit of assistance on a few other forums... and it seems the consensus is... dead or failing HD.

so i may [should] get a new one and use this old one ... or try to, use it as a slave and then try to recover any data that may be lost.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 PM

28,717 posts, read 42,544,877 times
Something most people don't realize: mup.sys is not the problem. It's the file loading after mup.sys that is causing your grief. Mup.sys has loaded correctly or it wouldn't be listed...

Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM

T_F ... yes i do realize that. After I search the file, i knew it wasn't the problem.

I've probably worked on this a total of 11 hrs now... still spinning my wheels, but next step is to replace the HD, install the OS [XP PRo instead of XP home] and use this old drive, hopefully as a slave and see if i can access any of the data.

I'm resolved to losing all the data... so that way i wont be disappointed when it's all lost. THough i do have an approx month old back up .... but that is OLD in my book.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM

Don't give up too easily.

I had a client who kept every picture taken of her 2 year old on her PC and nowhere else. Her hard drive crashed.

Instead of throwing in the towel I took the drive to my office and slaved it to one of my computers. I spent portions of a weekend booting to the system and I got lucky because every so often the bad drive would spin up and part of those were for a long enough period that I retrieved all her pictures in bits and pieces. It was a long process, but she was delighted when I finished.

I put them on a new drive for her and also bought a flash drive and copied them to it for her.

Being stubborn can pay off.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:25 PM

I certainly wont chuck the thing until smoke is coming out of the case *wink*

i can be determined too... just currently frustrated.... as i am just stuck.

I did post this 'quest' on a few other mssg boards and have been getting some other assistance...but still the general consensus is new HD.

the way i see it... i can not access anything.. so getting a new HD and using this as a slave may be the next step... as i dont know what else to do.

Last edited by tcs1366; 05-26-2008 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Have you tried booting to the CD and running Chkdsk /r/p from the command prompt? I know /r/p is redundant (one of them implies the other) but I can never remember which so I run both switches.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:54 PM

19,699 posts, read 59,595,835 times
One other thing you can try is Steve Gibson's "Spinrite" data recovery program. I forget what his web pages are. "Shieldsup?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers