Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 09:17 AM

2,031 posts, read 985,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I only posted this yesterday and I do have a life other than just posting on C-D; give me some time, give me a chance.
You responded twice in this thread already but just to express your distrust issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 09:21 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
You responded twice in this thread already but just to express your distrust issues.
I disagree for I believe I have alluded to such through out this thread..............

............but that is beside the point. Sufficient to say that for various reasons, from distrust to the technology available to me, the Cloud is not an option.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:23 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
In any event, for various reasons, the Cloud is not an option.

Proton is all about keeping your data private. They are not like the others: Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, yadda yadda.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Proton is all about keeping your data private. They are not like the others: Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, yadda yadda.
Point noted but as said, I do not have the technology.....nor desire... to make the Cloud a viable option. It seems that my only viable option are hard drives.

What about going for a full size tower? I tried that in 2000 with a tower with 12 bays for hard drives, if I wanted to go that way. I never got it totally full.....but I didn't have the amount of data I did then nor did I move it as much as I do now.

Have full tower technology advanced....or are we talking dinosaurs?

Old 05-03-2023, 11:01 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Point noted but as said, I do not have the technology.....nor desire... to make the Cloud a viable option. It seems that my only viable option are hard drives.

What about going for a full size tower? I tried that in 2000 with a tower with 12 bays for hard drives, if I wanted to go that way. I never got it totally full.....but I didn't have the amount of data I did then nor did I move it as much as I do now.

Have full tower technology advanced....or are we talking dinosaurs?
"Full tower" is not a technology, it's a form factor. You put a system board in there and however many drives the board can handle plus however many add-on cards you want. You buy a case with however many bays you need. Most sane/normal people aren't going to put that many drives in.

I just have one question here, maybe I didn't read back far enough. What on earth do you need that many hard drives for? I get media, of course, but how much other misc. data are you sitting on that you need that many drives? Are you filling drives up with random crap, then pulling them out and stuffing them in a box?

Everything I have fits on a pair of 2TB SSD's. That includes games. I have that backed up to the cloud because I'm not paranoid. I have media, pictures, etc. on there. You can get spinning drives up to 26TB from WD. When I upgrade/replace drives, I kill the old ones and dispose of them, no reason to keep them around aside from the odd 1TB SSD I've dropped into an external enclosure, but even those I destroy as I upgrade.

No reason to keep drives laying around. Dump it all onto a couple big drives and put a round or two through the old ones if you want to have fun making them go away. Or, you know, do a little spring cleaning in the 'ol Documents folder and stop keeping random jokes from 25 years ago.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
"Full tower" is not a technology, it's a form factor. You put a system board in there and however many drives the board can handle plus however many add-on cards you want. You buy a case with however many bays you need. Most sane/normal people aren't going to put that many drives in.

I just have one question here, maybe I didn't read back far enough. What on earth do you need that many hard drives for? I get media, of course, but how much other misc. data are you sitting on that you need that many drives? Are you filling drives up with random crap, then pulling them out and stuffing them in a box?

Everything I have fits on a pair of 2TB SSD's. That includes games. I have that backed up to the cloud because I'm not paranoid. I have media, pictures, etc. on there. You can get spinning drives up to 26TB from WD. When I upgrade/replace drives, I kill the old ones and dispose of them, no reason to keep them around aside from the odd 1TB SSD I've dropped into an external enclosure, but even those I destroy as I upgrade.

No reason to keep drives laying around. Dump it all onto a couple big drives and put a round or two through the old ones if you want to have fun making them go away. Or, you know, do a little spring cleaning in the 'ol Documents folder and stop keeping random jokes from 25 years ago.

Well, one of my databases are all the test aircraft over the years at the Dryden (now Armstrong) Flight Research Center.........and that is just one small example. At the time, I had the capacity to massively download it. I would have used the same for Navsource.......but they frown on such use.

Old 05-03-2023, 12:45 PM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
no matter what you do, turn them off and put them away for future ref - you will find out what 'stiction' means....

I remember a time when I paid $400-ish for 424mb and was glad to have it. the really old drives, if anything is pertinent on it can but put many to a thumb drive at $10 bux per, and backed up.

nothing will stand the test of time - that static charge for KAM in a thumb device is finite and even recordable optical devices have an expo date

if you have data you feel a need for - pay it forward and keep migrating to newer and newer but hurry....spinning drives have their end date in sight...1 T of solid state is now economical.

Old 05-03-2023, 12:50 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You might wanna switch to anti-static bags!
Whoops! LOL. Yeah... anti-static bags!

Old 05-03-2023, 01:16 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Well, one of my databases are all the test aircraft over the years at the Dryden (now Armstrong) Flight Research Center.........and that is just one small example. At the time, I had the capacity to massively download it. I would have used the same for Navsource.......but they frown on such use.
Have you consider using a NAS unit?

I have been using a Synology DS-218j and have been very happy. As the model number "2" indicates, it uses 2 drives.
If you need more drives and/or want to use different drive/data redundancy configuration, you could go with a 4xx model to have up to 4 drives and so fort.

Network Attached Storage has its advantages even compared to other local external drive types:
1. It allows you to use whatever kind of computer you want (laptop, desktop, etc., no need to a full tower, for instance)

2. Has its own OS, allowing you to run various services, where you can remotely access the data from elsewhere or even run a web-facing server/service

3. Easier access to drives and replace/upgrade them when needed

4. Independent of your computer allowing you to have it on/off whenever you want, even use a schedule to have it turn on or off

Something that might appeal to you since you prefer "localized" data storage.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:57 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
TRIPLE REDUNDANT BACKUP
Mirror your "live" drive [1]
Back up on an external drive [2]
Back up off site on a friend's drive [3]
(You do likewise for his data)
And with stuff that you really really don't want to lose - encrypt and store on the "cloud".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers