Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 05:06 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
The National Geographic Topo Map sets. Loved those. Printed my own topo maps for areas I wanted to hike/fish/hunt on water proof paper.

I think WordPerfect was better than Word for technical editing / legal editing.
WordPerfect still exists - and a lot of legal firms still use it. Caused us some problems when you'd see the odd formatting errors, or the file wouldn't open at all, if you opened a WP document in Word before they could finally talk correctly.

Not that WP is bad, but in a world that lives on the .doc and .docx formats, it's a dinosaur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 05:15 PM

2,020 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
WordPerfect still exists - and a lot of legal firms still use it. Caused us some problems when you'd see the odd formatting errors, or the file wouldn't open at all, if you opened a WP document in Word before they could finally talk correctly.

Not that WP is bad, but in a world that lives on the .doc and .docx formats, it's a dinosaur.
I would never have guessed, thanks!

Old 05-23-2023, 08:05 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
I purchased my first PC in 1993/1994. It was a “clone” as we called it these days. My old neighbor built and sold PC’s in those days. It was an Intel 486/50 mhz processor desktop, with a 500 MB hard drive (standard in those days), with a 4 MB of RAM and a 14” monitor. I had to buy a dial-up modem to connect to the internet in those days.

I often played games on that PC and now forget the exact names of the games. I liked a NFL football simulation game and a Tank Battle type game. These games were purchased at PC stores (i.e. CompUSA, etc.) I miss these games for their simple graphics, etc.

Times have really changed!

Old 05-23-2023, 09:42 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Microsoft Works was also one of my favorites. It would let you print grocery lists and make greeting cards and a bunch of other stuff. I don't know what app or program would let you do all that nowadays. I mean, all in the same program.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:11 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
WordPerfect still exists - and a lot of legal firms still use it.

Yep. Legal here. I have one attorney who practically begged me to let him keep using WP when he came to our firm. I told him if he wanted to buy it, I would support him. He did, and I do.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep. Legal here. I have one attorney who practically begged me to let him keep using WP when he came to our firm. I told him if he wanted to buy it, I would support him. He did, and I do.
I am blissfully in the position of "If you want to buy software that's not standard, you're on your own. I'll let you install it, but I'm not touching it" haha.

Old 05-24-2023, 11:00 AM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
They may have been primitive by today's standards, but there is a special place in my mind and heart for WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, DBase 3 (?), and many others I can't recall at the moment. Also programming languages like Basic, PASCAL, FORTRAN, Intel and Motorola assembly languages, etc. They go back to my early days of computing. Even the old CGA and monochrome monitors, and 5 1/2" (?) floppy discs were sort of fun. It was all so new and fascinating. Now everything is a bit boring and old hat. Weird how it works that way. Maybe because there was less standardization, and different products were fresh and unique with their own "personality".

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-24-2023 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
They may have been primitive by today's standards, but there is a special place in my mind and heart for WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, DBase 3 (?), and many others I can't recall at the moment. Also programming languages like Basic, PASCAL, FORTRAN, Intel and Motorola assembly languages, etc. They go back to my early days of computing. Even the old CGA and monochrome monitors, and 5 1/2" (?) floppy discs were sort of fun. It was all so new and fascinating. Now everything is a bit boring and old hat. Weird how it works that way. Maybe because there was less standardization, and different products were fresh and unique with their own "personality".
I do not miss loading software from multiple floppies. Nor do I miss having to offload software to floppy to make space on 40mb hard drives.

The only software I probably "miss" is Windows 2000. Stupid fast for the time, ran every game I owned, mostly secure for the time as well and rock solid. Not to say that everything since then sucked, but it was nice when my Windows folder didn't bloat out to 20+ GB over time.

Course, back then, I think I topped out at 128mb RAM, MAYBE 256, so there is that...now it's 64GB in the tower, 32GB in the laptop...

Old 05-24-2023, 01:21 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Even the old CGA and monochrome monitors, and 5 1/2" (?) floppy discs were sort of fun.

There is zero fun about those old monitors. I can carry 6 at a time today. People ask me what my favorite tech invention was...my back replies: flatscreen monitors.

Quote:
I am blissfully in the position of "If you want to buy software that's not standard, you're on your own. I'll let you install it, but I'm not touching it" haha.

Yea, you're a lot bigger then me, too. Also let a guy bring his Mac crap to my office. Happy to do that, though, as it's nice to have that so I have experience with it.

He became a partner and we then bought him a new 27" Mac.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I've using WordPerfect since it the early '90s. Prior to that it was Volkswriter, which basically functioned as an electronic typewriter. It was nice and simple but it fell to the wayside. My employer wanted to replace WP with Word, which I did and do hate. I kept WP at home and my wife used in her practice, and we've kept using it since then (though occasionally getting a later version).

I keep Open Office handy so I can easily open Word docs that people sometimes send. WP can do that, but the formatting sometimes gets confused because our version of WP is lagging Word updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers