Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 04:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,517,847 times

Advertisements

When I was troubleshooting this laptop at the beginning of the year, at one point I set up a UEFI password. I don't remember exactly why I thought I needed to do it, but I did. Not long after I repaired the computer by installing a new SSD, and I never bothered to do anything about the UEFI password because it wasn't enough of a bother to have to deal with. So from that point on, when I boot the computer, I have to enter the UEFI password, and then my Windows PIN when the latter boots.

Now I want to get rid of the UEFI password, but I don't see any option for doing that.

The security page looks like this:

https://flic.kr/p/2oQurTM

When I navigate to the password options, all it lets me do is change the password. I don't see any option to eliminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 06:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
When you enter the current password to be able to get into the related password to edit (in a way like you are changing it), simply leave the password and the confirmation field blank (press ENTER without typing anything). Blank password eliminates existing password hence removing it.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:43 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
When you enter the current password to be able to get into the related password to edit (in a way like you are changing it), simply leave the password and the confirmation field blank (press ENTER without typing anything). Blank password eliminates existing password hence removing it.
I did try this but the result was disastrous.

UEFI still prompts for a password, and the old one doesn't work. But neither does just hitting return.

Since UEFI passwords require a minimum of three spaces, I also tried hitting the space bar three times but that didn't work.

It seems to me I have a bricked computer now.

To anyone who reads this, please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. For example, is there a way to reset the UEFI by opening the computer up and disconnecting/reconnecting something?

Last edited by Those Who Squirm; 07-19-2023 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 07:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

UEFI still prompts for a password, and the old one doesn't work. But neither does just hitting return.

Since UEFI passwords require a minimum of three spaces, I also tried hitting the space bar three times but that didn't work.

It seems to me I have a bricked computer now.

To anyone who reads this, please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions. For example, is there a way to reset the UEFI by opening the computer up and disconnecting/reconnecting something?
You have to get at the battery, remove it, short the pins and reinsert the battery. You may not have to short the pins but just wait a certain amount of time.

When you boot the computer up again, it may or may not recognize your hard drive, hopefully it does. Try loading BIOS defaults at the least.

These are general instructions. I don't have enough to give you more specific instructions.

You can search for more specific instructions with the model number etc.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You have to get at the battery, remove it, short the pins and reinsert the battery. You may not have to short the pins but just wait a certain amount of time.
Later on, yesterday, I did read about disconnecting and reconnecting the CMOS battery. That"s what you mean, right?

Or do I also need to pop the main battery?

Old 07-20-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Later on, yesterday, I did read about disconnecting and reconnecting the CMOS battery. That"s what you mean, right?

Or do I also need to pop the main battery?
Yes, CMOS. That is what keeps time, your bios settings, password etc.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
First of, you are being dramatic!

It would either work or not, it would not have made it worse IF DONE CORRECTLY.
Of course you had to enter the ADMIN password to be able to get into BIOS to do the editing otherwise you were in VIEW mode only (iow got in as a user).

If it accepted the steps I mentioned (ENTER WITHOUT typing anything and also doing it again for confirmation), it should have blanked out the existing password.

Then save changes and reboot.

Not sure about ASUS notebooks but if it is anything like the HP BIOS, resetting the BIOS either via jumpers or removing the battery WILL NOT get rid of the BIOS password. Most vendors caught on to this workaround and made sure the password was embedded into the ROM when saved. So, it could not be circumvented using above methods.

But, not knowing what you actually see and do, hard to comment further. Either the method I told you should do the trick or somewhere there is an option to delete/remove the existing password that you overlooked.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:26 PM

@OP. Try posting the model number, it would help. It should be on a tag somewhere. The brand name is not enough.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
First of, you are being dramatic!
You think that was dramatic? I was this close to using all caps, lol

Quote:

It would either work or not, it would not have made it worse IF DONE CORRECTLY.
Of course you had to enter the ADMIN password to be able to get into BIOS to do the editing otherwise you were in VIEW mode only (iow got in as a user).
If it helps to clarify things, I noticed that the security screen says there is a user password installed but it wouldn't let me land on that option to change it. It did allow me to attempt to change the admin password. As for which password I used to get into UEFI, I just used the same one I normally use to boot the computer, after following Microsoft's instructions on how to get to the UEFI options.

I think this will become moot, or I hope so, after I reset CMOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers