Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 02:09 PM

8,443 posts, read 13,571,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That’s what they say. My experience says otherwise. That’s okay though. You don’t have to agree with me.
I dunno what the issue with OP but I have seen pretty bizarre stuff that shouldn't have happened as well.
I have seen faulty cables that just came out of their retail packaging, even brand name ones.

So, yeah, new doesn't always mean in "good working condition". There is also the type and overall quality of the cable. A cheap, no or unknown brand cable could easily be faulty but seemingly working.

OP, will have to check to see the condition of the cable to make sure there are no visible damages or even kinks to the cable. The connector ends are often easily split from the connecting cord part because 99% of the people detach the cables by yanking on the cable instead of pulling from the connector head.

Active cables are often the smarter choice when you are going 20'+ even though the passive ones could work up to 50' in absolute perfect conditions which hardly ever exists. So safest suggested distance is typically 25' (max). Even if the cable is in perfect shape, it would have poor insulation or there might be a bit more than usual interference from source to target.

OP needs to chime in otherwise we might be just wasting our breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 04:17 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,949,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I dunno what the issue with OP but I have seen pretty bizarre stuff that shouldn't have happened as well.
I have seen faulty cables that just came out of their retail packaging, even brand name ones.

So, yeah, new doesn't always mean in "good working condition". There is also the type and overall quality of the cable. A cheap, no or unknown brand cable could easily be faulty but seemingly working.

OP, will have to check to see the condition of the cable to make sure there are no visible damages or even kinks to the cable. The connector ends are often easily split from the connecting cord part because 99% of the people detach the cables by yanking on the cable instead of pulling from the connector head.

Active cables are often the smarter choice when you are going 20'+ even though the passive ones could work up to 50' in absolute perfect conditions which hardly ever exists. So safest suggested distance is typically 25' (max). Even if the cable is in perfect shape, it would have poor insulation or there might be a bit more than usual interference from source to target.

OP needs to chime in otherwise we might be just wasting our breath.
Thanks for reminding me about the quality of the cables. That’s a good point that i forgot to mention.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:26 PM

117 posts, read 64,926 times
For anyone interested, some general information on HDMI cables (including certified versions):
https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables
https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

Old 08-08-2023, 06:52 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,158,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't think it's cable length. 20 feet should be easily handed by most modern devices. We regularly use a 20 footer at work.

How old is the computer? Instead of using the PROJECT shortcut, right click the desktop > Display Settings. You should be able to see a graphic depiction of your monitors. You can decide the resolution here that you want to use. Try selecting the TV and clickng the checkbox that says MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY.

Well she says it is running Win 8.1. I suspect it is at least 8-10 years old.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:29 PM

823 posts, read 555,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
PS. Your OP didn't have anything mentioned about the thread title, is that a message or error comes up all the time or ....?

Sometimes, when the Duplicate option works, what I see on both screens is a generic PnP 640x380 resolution. I described that in my OP. When that happens, I open devices, and I also right-click on the desktop, and in both cases, I don't see any other options that PnP for the Vizio - like it doesn't see any other drivers.

When the Duplicate function is working properly, and the Vizio is showing the correct resolution, when I go into devices or go into resolutions, I have the choice of resolutions, so I assume that means my computer is seeing the driver for the Vizio properly - that the driver is there.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:47 PM

8,443 posts, read 13,571,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Sometimes, when the Duplicate option works, what I see on both screens is a generic PnP 640x380 resolution. I described that in my OP. When that happens, I open devices, and I also right-click on the desktop, and in both cases, I don't see any other options that PnP for the Vizio - like it doesn't see any other drivers.
I know this won't really be helpful but this, to me, sounds like a compatibility between the video card/driver and the monitors in use. Cable might have something to do with it but if it cleared then the former two suspects is where the culprit would be, imho.

Quote:
When the Duplicate function is working properly, and the Vizio is showing the correct resolution, when I go into devices or go into resolutions, I have the choice of resolutions, so I assume that means my computer is seeing the driver for the Vizio properly - that the driver is there.
No, it really doesn't mean anything. If Windows sees/loads a device driver properly, everything related to that functionality would be working as designed. The list can often be offered by default, doesn't really mean the device driver is working if the display doesn't look right but again, the other variable is the external monitor being used.

The only way to narrow down the possible suspects is by using an alternate device instead.
So, use another "known good" cable and see if the issue persisted. No, the original cable was the culprit.
If yes, move on to next suspect: monitor.

Use another monitor (brand or screen size doesn't matter -but if same size screen, it might be better), if resolution looks better/as expected on the alternate monitor, then it was indeed the monitor OR possibly a resolution incompatibility between the two, either way you discovered the culprit.

One other suggestion is using an alternate video cable, like if you were using HDMI, use DVI or DP to see if it yielded a better result or not.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 08-16-2023 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers