Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What brand of SSD do you typically buy?
Samsung 6 23.08%
SK Hynix 1 3.85%
Western Digital 3 11.54%
Crucial 3 11.54%
PNY 0 0%
ADATA 0 0%
Kingston 1 3.85%
Corsair 0 0%
MSI 0 0%
Gigabyte 0 0%
SanDisk 2 7.69%
Sabrent 0 0%
Other (specify) 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 08:07 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Advertisements

I currently have 1 samsung m.2, 1 Western digital m.2, 1 Western digital SSD and one Crucial SSD.

I'm not really loyal to one particular brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 06:42 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I presume you have a MacBook (Pro), is that correct? OWC products are designed for Macs.
It's right there at the top of the page. Macs or PCs. I use them in Macs. You format it for whatever you want to use it in. If you wanted to try one, and it doesn't work for you, you can return it for a 15% restocking fee.

Quote:
OWC 6G Solid State Drives
Make your Mac or PC faster in a flash!

Old 08-19-2023, 03:41 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I buy whichever SSD is on sale at CostCo, Amazon, and so on. But is seems that SanDisk and Samsung are the most common at the stores I visit. I also buy hard drives whenever I see them on the shelves.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:42 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Earlier this year, I upgraded my 2016 MacBook Air from a 128 GB SSD to a 2 TB SSD (did the installation and everything else myself), and the 2 TB SSD I used was the Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

No issues so far .

I also found a microSD to SD sideways adapter that BaseQi makes* for Macs that allows for a 'flush fit'.

* - https://www.amazon.com/stores/BaseQi/page/E78117F2-A2EA-4CFE-8768-ADC7EC520725?ref_=ast_bln

I put a 1 TB microSD card in that adapter, so I have a '3 TB inside the form factor' MacBook Air.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:26 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
For internal SSDs, SanDisk is considered a "value" brand for WD, commonly sold at warehouse clubs such as Costco. The WD Black series are considered their flagship high performance drives.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:16 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Crucial. Always Crucial.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:18 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I would like to know, what brand of SSD do you typically buy for your computers?

I bought two SK Hynix Gold P31 SSDs for my laptop and desktop, and also recommended it to my neighbor for his desktop and he bought one for himself. In the case of laptops, I was told it has one of the best power to watt ratios.
I have bought portable drives, not sure that they are SSDs though. Seagate and Western Digital are all I have ever bought.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:50 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Crucial. Always Crucial.

I originally bought Crucial for my MacBook Air (it was cheaper, and friends have had good luck with both Crucial and Samsung), taking a chance as it was unclear (per my research) if the particular Crucial I bought at Micro Center would work in that particular application. It didn't....nothing against Crucial nor Apple, just in that particular application with that particular drive, it didn't happen to work. From research, I knew the Samsung model would work, and obviously what would work for that particular application was more important than saving money. When I did the exchange, I was actually one day past the exchange period, so props to Micro Center for letting me do that. And the Samsung happened to be on sale the day I did the exchange, so it was just a wee bit more.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I originally bought Crucial for my MacBook Air (it was cheaper, and friends have had good luck with both Crucial and Samsung), taking a chance as it was unclear (per my research) if the particular Crucial I bought at Micro Center would work in that particular application. It didn't....nothing against Crucial nor Apple, just in that particular application with that particular drive, it didn't happen to work. From research, I knew the Samsung model would work, and obviously what would work for that particular application was more important than saving money. When I did the exchange, I was actually one day past the exchange period, so props to Micro Center for letting me do that. And the Samsung happened to be on sale the day I did the exchange, so it was just a wee bit more.
A hard drive or SSD is just a storage device. I don't see one of the other as failing to work with the application, unless the app requires a certain amount of space and speed from the drive, or app/drive incompatibility. While drives usually come formatted for both PC and Mac, I reformat (erase, partition, and so on) according the computer platform I plan to use it with. But I usually have several drives and thumb drives that are formatted to work just fine with both the Mac and PC. Also, the drive package's label shows the specific PC or Mac operating systems and version the drive works with.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:17 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A hard drive or SSD is just a storage device. I don't see one of the other as failing to work with the application, unless the app requires a certain amount of space and speed from the drive, or app/drive incompatibility. While drives usually come formatted for both PC and Mac, I reformat (erase, partition, and so on) according the computer platform I plan to use it with. But I usually have several drives and thumb drives that are formatted to work just fine with both the Mac and PC. Also, the drive package's label shows the specific PC or Mac operating systems and version the drive works with.
Sometimes, an OS may have some compatibility issues with the drive's controller. I did read at first that the SK Hynix Gold P31 M.2 NVMe SSD initially had compatibility issues with Mac OS; I think this was fixed with a firmware update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers