Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What brand of SSD do you typically buy?
Samsung 6 23.08%
SK Hynix 1 3.85%
Western Digital 3 11.54%
Crucial 3 11.54%
PNY 0 0%
ADATA 0 0%
Kingston 1 3.85%
Corsair 0 0%
MSI 0 0%
Gigabyte 0 0%
SanDisk 2 7.69%
Sabrent 0 0%
Other (specify) 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 05:44 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
You can absolutely use RST/RAID with NVMe drives - it's the default setting on almost every computer you buy off the shelf. Even my Asus board I bought for my new tower came with RST enabled by default. I flipped it to AHCI.

Hell, every Dell we buy for work comes with NVMe drives and RST enabled. Pain in the a$$ if the wizards haven't updated the RST driver in preboot for new models. Won't see the drive at all.
Again, NVME M.2 doesn't utilize that channel, it is only for drives connected to the SATA ports.
The related settings are in the BIOS for possibly backwards compatibility and to offer additional options for boot configuration. NVMe doesn't care whether you choose RAID or AHCI, it is only for BIOS and OS to deal with, it uses its own data channel which is significantly faster than the ones used by the SATA ports on the motherboard which RAID/AHCI configuration (switch) is for.

You may have seen newer motherboard with multiple NVMe M.2 ports are offering their own M.2 RAID setting separate than the main RAID/AHCI setting. That is why.

I am still a bit baffled as to why every OEM chose to default their drive configuration to RAID instead of AHCI as it would have been more optimized specially when majority of the machines are single drive.
I, too, switch it but for novice users we prefer to leave it as RAID so when the CMOS battery poops and the PC gets connected from wall outlet, BIOS settings do not get reset and cause the infinite repair loop.
If the tech working on it is not sharp enough to figure it out, they may end up reinstalling Windows thinking the boot files were corrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 04:25 PM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I'm waiting for NVMe drives that run on PCIe 5 to come down in price. I would like a 4TB drive but right now they are asking almost 500 bucks for them. I have an open NVMe drive open waiting.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:43 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Cross-linking is a filesystem problem aka OS problem. What is the actual OS you guys are running on the host? Are you not able to run some sort of a CheckDisk utility to fix cross-linked files?

Chkdsk doesn't 'fix' crosslinked files. It just basically snips out the crosslinked portion of them. Which.. Well, that's a bit of a problem when you 'snip out' a 4k section of an executable. I usually run it and then have a directory created called FOUND.000 with a few, or hundreds of .chk files inside. Which are all the pieces of crosslinked files it 'fixed'

FAT or FAT32 or even exFAT.. Not great filesystems so far as recovery from errors. But.. It's what I have to work with.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:09 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I'm waiting for NVMe drives that run on PCIe 5 to come down in price. I would like a 4TB drive but right now they are asking almost 500 bucks for them. I have an open NVMe drive open waiting.
I wouldn't worry about it right now. PCIe 4.0 is plenty fast enough - we've hit a point where unless you're copying a TB back and forth across drives, you can't tell the difference except on paper.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:58 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
1,000% agree. You might save literal seconds, single digit seconds that is.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:22 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it right now. PCIe 4.0 is plenty fast enough - we've hit a point where unless you're copying a TB back and forth across drives, you can't tell the difference except on paper.
I was able to notice a difference in speed (particularly with bootup) even with drives of the same generation. My HP laptop which came with a cheap DRAMless Kioxia SSD was replaced by an SK Hynix Gold P31 SSD (both Gen3), and I was able to notice a significant difference in startup time.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Chkdsk doesn't 'fix' crosslinked files. It just basically snips out the crosslinked portion of them. Which.. Well, that's a bit of a problem when you 'snip out' a 4k section of an executable. I usually run it and then have a directory created called FOUND.000 with a few, or hundreds of .chk files inside. Which are all the pieces of crosslinked files it 'fixed'

FAT or FAT32 or even exFAT.. Not great filesystems so far as recovery from errors. But.. It's what I have to work with.
Yeah, it is not a great tool nor comprehensive but barely "good enough" for the OS itself. Still not sure what OS version you are using but if it is formatted using FAT/FAT32 it'd not be that good.
exFAT as a bootable OS, I dunno, I only used it on flash drives but NTFS for newer multi-OS or FAT32 for legacy Windows support would have been much better, for sure.

I wonder if sector size configuration factors in to your issue like it does with fragmentation but you might want to consider if you haven't already. That said, I think you are pretty intimate with the issue and likely to have troubleshot it well enough.

Old 08-30-2023, 05:44 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yeah, it is not a great tool nor comprehensive but barely "good enough" for the OS itself. Still not sure what OS version you are using but if it is formatted using FAT/FAT32 it'd not be that good.
exFAT as a bootable OS, I dunno, I only used it on flash drives but NTFS for newer multi-OS or FAT32 for legacy Windows support would have been much better, for sure.

I wonder if sector size configuration factors in to your issue like it does with fragmentation but you might want to consider if you haven't already. That said, I think you are pretty intimate with the issue and likely to have troubleshot it well enough.
Most large external drives now come pre-formatted as exFAT, even hard drives. This is done for cross-compatibility between Windows and Mac computers (since Macs don't support NTFS).

Old 08-31-2023, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Most large external drives now come pre-formatted as exFAT, even hard drives. This is done for cross-compatibility between Windows and Mac computers (since Macs don't support NTFS).
Yes, exFAT for TB external drives that filesystem is the most compatible between Windows/Mac but not for bootable OS drives which we were talking about. Another caveat of exFAT is the disconnection sensitivity.
You do not want to just disconnect an exFAT external storage drive without properly unmounting it via the OS first.

I don't know if this is a normal behavior of Macs but I have seen multiple times where the different Mac OS running machines refused to mount an external drive that was formatted exFAT on a Windows machine. It wouldn't mount the drive until the drive was reformatted again as exFAT using MacOS Drive Utility.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:05 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Seagate usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers