Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 07:54 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,119,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thank you for the advice! It is a good password with very random letters, numbers and characters. The kind that takes me much effort to type in lol

Catsmom - I'm coming late to this conversation but looking at it I want to congratulate you for sticking with the process, asking solid questions and following difficult instructions. You are well on your way to being a knowledgeable network user. I will also say that you received excellent concise advice from the responders here.

My big complaint is with sites that limit the use of special characters in creating passwords. I had one major site recently that would not allow most special characters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 08:10 AM

338 posts, read 157,847 times
Your best method for making a secure password is to take a phrase, lyric or poem that you are fond of and won't forget as a starting point. For example:

T'was the night before Christmas, and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

Now take the first letter of each word using the case it is in and put it in order with the punctuation:

T'tnbC,aatth,Nacws,neam.

You would use this as the password. You can go one step further and take the last two digits of your birthyear and tack it on the end for added security.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:47 AM

37,713 posts, read 46,130,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickIlhenney View Post
Your best method for making a secure password is to take a phrase, lyric or poem that you are fond of and won't forget as a starting point. For example:

Now take the first letter of each word using the case it is in and put it in order with the punctuation:

T'tnbC,aatth,Nacws,neam.

You would use this as the password. You can go one step further and take the last two digits of your birthyear and tack it on the end for added security.
Dear GOD. Shoot me now.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 19,638,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Catsmom - I'm coming late to this conversation but looking at it I want to congratulate you for sticking with the process, asking solid questions and following difficult instructions. You are well on your way to being a knowledgeable network user. I will also say that you received excellent concise advice from the responders here.

My big complaint is with sites that limit the use of special characters in creating passwords. I had one major site recently that would not allow most special characters!
I greatly appreciate your encouraging words. I have more to tell now. After all that getting the wireless hooked up a friend gave me a firestick for Christmas, AND a not in use TV as well. My current TV was an old Magnavox all in one model. 2005 or thereabouts. Huge dinosaur thing. Neither DVD or VHS works any more but I bought a DVD player to use hooked up to it. But it is not able to stream or anything like that.

So I brought that firestick and TV home, determined to put it to use. I spent the entire next day on it. There were many meltdowns and tears, and even pain because I couldn't get the basted battery slot open on the remote. (I finally put on rubber gloves and that gave me enough grip to get the thing open)

Anyway to shorten this long story, I did it! I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF!!!!! I am telling you I was the smarted person in the world hahhaha!

I even took the free month of Prime Amazon offered me so I could watch Frasier for free. (I usually don't bother when that promotion comes up I don't need it) The side story on that is I bought the series DVD set, but the DVDs were corrupt and when I sent it back they didn't offer me another (which tells me they are all bad). So I'll hopefully be able to watch all 8 season before the free Prime runs out. I'm good for about 2 episodes at a time, while I soak my feet at night.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 19,638,015 times
Quote:

T'tnbC,aatth,Nacws,neam.

What a good idea, thanks!

Old 12-28-2023, 12:11 PM

338 posts, read 157,847 times
Quote:
What a good idea, thanks!
Thanks. The example I provided would take a computer about 33 nonillion years to crack via brute force.

You can check how secure a given password is at the following site:

https://www.security.org/how-secure-is-my-password/

Old 12-28-2023, 12:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 13,493,234 times
Quote:
Thanks. The example I provided would take a computer about 33 nonillion years to crack via brute force.
And a few nonillion years less to remember it!

lol!

Old 12-29-2023, 05:30 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Dear GOD. Shoot me now.
That would be DG.Smn23. A little short but Benoit bad.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:14 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,830,517 times
Quote:
I even took the free month of Prime Amazon offered me so I could watch Frasier for free. (I usually don't bother when that promotion comes up I don't need it) The side story on that is I bought the series DVD set, but the DVDs were corrupt and when I sent it back they didn't offer me another (which tells me they are all bad). So I'll hopefully be able to watch all 8 season before the free Prime runs out. I'm good for about 2 episodes at a time, while I soak my feet at night.

If you have access to COZI-TV, they run 2-4 episodes of Frasier every night. Oh, there are 11 seasons.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:04 PM

666 posts, read 430,924 times
Quote:

T'tnbC,aatth,Nacws,neam.

Adding initial letter sequence of popular phrases and song verses to my dictionary pw cracker rn.

J/K I'm not the blackhat type

Although this method is much stronger than what many people appear to be using. Top 100,000 passwords list and top 1,000,000 common passwords list inform us of that.

General tip for lurkers who want strong passphrases:
Alphanumeric keysets do not provide enough unique characters to have a sufficient pool of entropy required for truly strong passphrases. So the solution is to extend the overall length of passwords. Historic wisdom is that a passphrase has to be at least 12 characters long in order to be crack resilient. But things have changed. I would suggest at least 26 characters, especially for those that will be used for local device encryption. Consider composing the lengthy passphrase as mnemonic chunks, for memory recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers