Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 03:53 AM

29 posts, read 17,789 times

Advertisements

I performed factory reset because the laptop was lagging but now it's working fine. However, I forgot to save my videos I recorded. Is there a way to get all of this data back for free? If not for free then what are the best programs to do this that will guarantee to work and get the videos back?

Old 12-23-2023, 05:02 AM

230 posts, read 189,639 times
I haven't tried this but it may help. https://youtu.be/taQ4dg9DjYc?si=kkbFMfTM6o5D4wQ_

Old 12-23-2023, 09:08 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
You may have had a cloud account and not realized it. Try logging into your Microsoft Account and see if you have any saved files.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...-cloud-storage

Old 12-23-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
I haven't tried this but it may help. https://youtu.be/taQ4dg9DjYc?si=kkbFMfTM6o5D4wQ_
This doesn't work for factory reset. I just tried it.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You may have had a cloud account and not realized it. Try logging into your Microsoft Account and see if you have any saved files.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...-cloud-storage
I don't have a microsoft account. I use a local account only.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:06 PM

Does anyone know of any programs that actually work to restore all of my videos back before the factory reset? Is there a way to bring my laptop how it was before the factory reset?

Old 12-23-2023, 03:21 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testingthis View Post
Does anyone know of any programs that actually work to restore all of my videos back before the factory reset? Is there a way to bring my laptop how it was before the factory reset?
[LEFT][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.894)]This is Bing. A Microsoft computer reset is a feature that allows you to reinstall Windows and restore your PC to its original state. Depending on the option you choose, it can also affect your personal data, apps, and settings. Here are the two options you can choose from when you do a computer reset1:[/color][/LEFT]
  • Keep my files: This option will reinstall Windows while preserving your personal files and documents. However, it will remove all your desktop applications, so you will have to reinstall and reconfigure them after the reset. It will also reset your Windows settings to their defaults.
  • Remove everything: This option will completely delete all your files, applications, and settings before reinstalling Windows. This is useful if you want to wipe your PC clean or give it to someone else. However, you should back up your data first and make sure you have the installation media or product keys for any software you want to reinstall.
[LEFT][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.894)]To reset your PC, go to Start > Settings > System > Recovery. Next to Reset this PC, select Reset PC. Then, choose the option you prefer and follow the instructions on the screen.[/color][/LEFT]

Old 12-23-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
[LEFT][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.894)]This is Bing. A Microsoft computer reset is a feature that allows you to reinstall Windows and restore your PC to its original state. Depending on the option you choose, it can also affect your personal data, apps, and settings. Here are the two options you can choose from when you do a computer reset1:[/color][/LEFT]
  • Keep my files: This option will reinstall Windows while preserving your personal files and documents. However, it will remove all your desktop applications, so you will have to reinstall and reconfigure them after the reset. It will also reset your Windows settings to their defaults.
  • Remove everything: This option will completely delete all your files, applications, and settings before reinstalling Windows. This is useful if you want to wipe your PC clean or give it to someone else. However, you should back up your data first and make sure you have the installation media or product keys for any software you want to reinstall.
[LEFT][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.894)]To reset your PC, go to Start > Settings > System > Recovery. Next to Reset this PC, select Reset PC. Then, choose the option you prefer and follow the instructions on the screen.[/color][/LEFT]
I have done factory reset several times on this laptop. I want it to undue the factory reset I did weeks ago so I can get my files back so is this going to work because I don't see that option for that?

Old 12-23-2023, 05:54 PM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
Quote:
These types of programs/utilities are not guaranteed to work. Any programs that can recover files from a formatted drive work best if you write nothing to your drive after you format it. Since factory resetting does a lot of writing to the drive after the format, having done multiple factory resets minimizes your chances of recovering your files.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:23 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
I performed factory reset because the laptop was lagging but now it's working fine. However, I forgot to save my videos I recorded. Is there a way to get all of this data back for free? If not for free then what are the best programs to do this that will guarantee to work and get the videos back?
Everyone *should* have some sort of back-up utility (such as Windows File History/back-up) and or sending things up on a cloud. This way when files need to be restored (for whatever reasons) copies can be found and accessed easily.

if you wiped your computer clean via factory reset and did not back up files to an external or any other source it *may* be possible to recover files, but you'll likely need specific software utility to do so.

https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery...-10-reset.html

https://www.pandorarecovery.com/blog...ery%20software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGrdWn9hXAY

Moral of story is one should *always* have some sort of back-up for all files, and most certainly back-up files before doing anything major to system such as factory reset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.