Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 08:46 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times

Advertisements

Before I start..serious technophobe here. When dealing with anything, my brain goes numb, I can't make any sense out of any of it, and I start crying. It's insanity, but it is what happens. I just lose it.

I searched and received instructions, but as usual the instructions have absolutely no bearing on what actually appears on my screen.

I have attached the instructions I am given.

I can follow as far as "Network and Internet" I click on that and then.....

There is no option for "Network and Sharing Center". I have clicked all the other options that come up on that page, and none of them show anything remotely like the instructions say I should be seeing. See 2nd attachment.

I am currently connected to my wireless router, and even that was a monumental accomplishment. It shows I am connected and secure, and I did, when I first attempted this over a year ago, make note of a password, but I have no idea if that is the password I am currently signed in under or how to find it.

I don't think any of my attachments show secure information but if anyone spots something let me know right away and I'll take them out.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't locate wireless password-password-11-21-23.png   Can't locate wireless password-password-b-11-21-23.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2023, 09:06 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
If you didn't configure it there is a sticker on your router or modem that has a password for you to use. I'd almost bet this is what's going on here.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you didn't configure it there is a sticker on your router or modem that has a password for you to use. I'd almost bet this is what's going on here.

Yes there is a sticker on the router with a password. But that is the only part of your reply that I understand.

I do not know what you mean by configure.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:35 AM

I may have inadvertently solved my problem but I still don't understand any of it. lol

I got out the "Quick Start" Guide and followed the instructions. It says I am automatically configured, then told me I had to run an update. I ran the update then it told me I had to re-login.

When I re-logged in I tried the sticker password first, and it didn't work, so I tried the password I have written down and it worked, so at least I now know the password.

How to change it, if I ever decide to, that will be the next problem.

I worry so much about security with wireless. If I keep the wifi to "on" even when I wasn't using mine, other people's connections are always showing up, and not all of them appear secure. So I'll be wanting to change the password periodically.

In case anyone is interested in why I have decided now to do this after living without wireless all my life so far: I want to start using the wireless to get used to using my phone, so I needed to know the password.

I don't have a lot of data on the phone, to use it for practice, so I need to hook up to wireless while doing it. The reasoning is, if the power does go out, if I know how to use the phone, at least I will have some outside connection to the world. But since I am so slow with it, I need to know how to use it first, so I don't use up all the data in one shot.

Old 11-21-2023, 10:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Use Control Panel.

Click on Network & Sharing Options.

Look at your active networks. Where it says "Access Type" and "Connections" your wi-fi connection should be in blue or whatever color you're using.

Click on that to open the wi-fi status box.

There are two buttons in the middle of the box: "Details" and "Wireless Properties"

Click on Wireless Properties

Click on Security and then click the check-box to see your wifi password.

Old 11-21-2023, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Use Control Panel.

Click on Network & Sharing Options.

Look at your active networks. Where it says "Access Type" and "Connections" your wi-fi connection should be in blue or whatever color you're using.

Click on that to open the wi-fi status box.

There are two buttons in the middle of the box: "Details" and "Wireless Properties"

Click on Wireless Properties

Click on Security and then click the check-box to see your wifi password.

Wow. Thank you. I will say, again, that the terms on my computer do not match the words you use here, but enough similarities that I was able to follow your instructions. Not seamlessly, there was a lot of back and forthing and puzzling over the meaning of your instructions and how they related to what I was actually seeing.

But I found it! Thank you very much. It's not easy to explain things to people like me, but you seem to excel at it . I appreciate it.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:41 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When I re-logged in I tried the sticker password first, and it didn't work, so I tried the password I have written down and it worked, so at least I now know the password.
If it is really good password, don't change it. That's the latest recommendation now from all the big guys: Microsoft, Google, the NIST (National Institute for Standards and Technology).

Make ONE really good password and never change it.

12 character with a mix of numbers and characters is better then an 8 digit password that you change every 6 months and just add a "1" too.

Don't worry about this too much...unless you have a simple password.

Old 11-21-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
If it is really good password, don't change it. That's the latest recommendation now from all the big guys: Microsoft, Google, the NIST (National Institute for Standards and Technology).

12 character with a mix of numbers and characters is better then an 8 digit password that you change every 6 months and just add a "1" too.

Don't worry about this too much...unless you have a simple password.

Thank you for the advice! It is a good password with very random letters, numbers and characters. The kind that takes me much effort to type in lol

Old 12-27-2023, 06:00 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:

I would love to. Unfortunately some sites make me change passwords periodically and won't accept reusing the old one. Very annoying.

Any way of getting around that?

Cause right now I have two passwords, both over 10 digits that I'd like to keep.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:17 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I would love to. Unfortunately some sites make me change passwords periodically and won't accept reusing the old one. Very annoying.

Any way of getting around that?

Cause right now I have two passwords, both over 10 digits that I'd like to keep.
Well, just change the punctuation or number part of the password which most typically do.
If the site or the app is not allowing such a minor change then also move the location of the punctuation and/or numbers as well.

For example your current password: Password!23
Alternatives for the new one:
!23Password
Password1@3
1@3Password

A "key" based encryption method could be useful that a boomer mentioned to me.
They were using a person's full name they knew as the "key" to create the encryption for the numbers.

For example:
FRANK SMITH
01234 56789

So, lets say you have a password Crocodile@456 as your very good password when you write it down somewhere as a reminder, you use: Crocodile@KSM so you substitute K for 4, S for 5 and M for 6 based on the key you use and memorize.

Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers