Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 01:47 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times

Advertisements

The last two updates for windows 11 failed to install on my computer. I have tried every suggested fix with no luck and the last resort seems to be either a "System reset" keeping my old files (but losing apps) or a "repair install". My question is does a "repair install" allow me to retain all apps and files?

The sources I have found are not very clear if the repair install will actually keep all my installed programs.

Another question? If I do a system backup would that allow me to keep my apps and then start fresh with a system reset?

My goal is to not lose all my apps and files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 09:21 PM

8,312 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The last two updates for windows 11 failed to install on my computer. I have tried every suggested fix with no luck and the last resort seems to be either a "System reset" keeping my old files (but losing apps) or a "repair install". My question is does a "repair install" allow me to retain all apps and files?

The sources I have found are not very clear if the repair install will actually keep all my installed programs.

Another question? If I do a system backup would that allow me to keep my apps and then start fresh with a system reset?

When Windows installation for Windows 11 is initiated in a running session, in other words, from within Windows, it will give you only the following options:
- Keep Personal Files
- Keep Nothing

In order to have the following options:
- Keep Personal Files
- Keep Apps and Personal Files
- Keep Nothing

You will have to create a bootable Windows Install Media on a Flash drive as mentioned here and boot your system to that flash drive.
Then follow the instructions given on that site.

That said, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS, at the very least, backup your personal files to somewhere else beforehand (just in case).
Though not common, I have seen re-installations deleted personal files even though the option to keep them was selected.

Better safe than sorry!

Old 09-01-2022, 07:44 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
To be clear there is no true Reset/Refresh option that will keep all of your apps... formerly called Programs lol... intact and working.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:46 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
I did the reinstall that keep all my files a while ago. Best I can remember it worked out very well and I lost no programs.
My computer was basically broken so I had nothing to lose by trying the rebuild so I understand your hesitation.
I assume you know about restore points and have tried these.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:

Not clear on this. Does your system boot or not? Repair Install is typically used to fix boot problems, has nothing to do with updates.

I assume it does, you are talking about doing a system backup. You would not be able to do that if you could not get into windows. There are ways to backup the whole system it without getting in but that is for another discussion.

Does your system boot and do you see the desktop?

Old 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not clear on this. Does your system boot or not? Repair Install is typically used to fix boot problems, has nothing to do with updates.

I assume it does, you are talking about doing a system backup. You would not be able to do that if you could not get into windows. There are ways to backup the whole system it without getting in but that is for another discussion.

Does your system boot and do you see the desktop?
System will boot and operate normally EXCEPT it will not install the last two windows updates. I have followed all the suggestions I could find on the internet to fix it and the last option is a system reset.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:07 AM

You ran the Update Troubleshooter?
More Windows troubleshooters don't work but I have had success with that one.

Select Start > Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters. Next, under Most frequent, select Windows Update > Run.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
System will boot and operate normally EXCEPT it will not install the last two windows updates. I have followed all the suggestions I could find on the internet to fix it and the last option is a system reset.
Updates have a way of resolving themselves. They may not work the first time but may work on subsequent attempts.

What are the updates even about? Have you read into them?

You can also search using the KB numbers. You can post the KB numbers here if you wish.

I wouldn't do any kind of refresh for failed updates. There are other ways to resolve them such as what Peregrine posted. The refresh for sure would not do anything for updates. You would be back in the same place eventually.

BUT as has been mentioned, you need to setup some kind of backup for your important files regardless.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:05 PM

Don't disagree with GG overall, but I've actually seen something similar on 10 and am sure this is the same type of thing. There is something in your setup that the update does not like. 1 -The troubleshooter is some times effective at resolving this. 2 - A refresh will fix it, too. 3- However, as I've done once, just waiting until MS sees it more often and is able to address it is sometimes the way to go too. They will get more reports about it and either adjust the trouble shooter (which gets info online when it runs, so it doesn't depend on Windows Update to be current) or fix the broken update.

I would recommend option 1 then 3 IF you aren't having any other issues.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:18 PM

8,312 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
I am guessing you have already tried running the troubleshooter as mentioned by others?

Other than that the most common workaround/fix for Windows Update error based issue or freezing would be the following:

1. Stop Windows Update Service (not to be confused with "pausing" the Updates under Settings > Update&Security > Windows Update)
2. Browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution directory and delete everything in it
3. Start Windows Update Service and try again

See screenshots for the CommandLine version of stopping/starting Windows Update service.
CommandLine needs to be launched as an Administrator so if you do START > RUN > cmd > OK make sure to be holding down both the SHIFT & CTRL keys before pressing OK!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have experience with a repair install windows 11?-windows-update-service-stop-start-commands.jpg   Anyone have experience with a repair install windows 11?-windows-softwaredistribution.jpg   Anyone have experience with a repair install windows 11?-windows-updates-paused.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers