Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times

Advertisements

I use craigslist alot to buy stuff,etc sometimes you have to reply and it opens Outlook. My Outlook has an old email address and isnt working. I have looked everywhere and cant find a way to change it.
Looked online for updates(Outlook i have looks really outdated).
I have Windows XP and my computer is 4?years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Havent used Outlook in years but try

Tools
Options
Accounts and then delete ore dit the account with that email addy in it. I can look on Google but am too tired, what I told you will get you in teh ballpark in most cases.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
That should be the right spot.

let us know if it works.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
OK Thanks but that didnt work.Im guessing because my Outlook is so old.
Is it possible to download an Update or something?I couldnt find anything online.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
No, you'd have to buy the new version of outlook.

The old version should work fine though; what version are you using?

You could also install a new mail client, and uninstall outlook; something such as thunderbird.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
Default Try Outlook Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I use craigslist alot to buy stuff,etc sometimes you have to reply and it opens Outlook. My Outlook has an old email address and isnt working. I have looked everywhere and cant find a way to change it.
Looked online for updates(Outlook i have looks really outdated).
I have Windows XP and my computer is 4?years old.

Joe - To be sure I understand - it sounds like Outlook is firing up as your system thinks Outlook is your default mail client. Further, you do not want to use Outlook as your default mail client (application).

Given this, you could change a setting so that Windows XP fires up Outlook Express as your default mail application. As a user of both Outlook (for my business email) and Outlook Express (for my personal), it's my opinion that Outlook Express is w-a-y easier and less cumbersome to use.

To eliminate Outlook as being your default mail application go to:

Control Panel -> Internet Options (double click on it) -> go the the Programs tab. Go to E-Mail - click on the drop-down button and select Outlook Express. Click OK to apply the change.

Alternatively, open Internet Explorer, on the menu bar go to Tools -> then Internet Options. The same box will open as if you went from the Control Panel.

Now go to Outlook Express and set up your email account. On the menu bar to go Tools -> then Accounts -> Mail -> Add -> and fill in your email address, and the incoming and outgoing servers of your mail provider.

If you've never used Outlook Express on your computer, then the first time you start it up, a Mail Account set up wizard will fire up. Just fill in the screens with your info. You can easily change your email account's settings by going back to Tools -> Accounts -> Mail, etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:26 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
i'll never use Outlook, again. After changing ISPs a couple of times, and having to set up Outlook again, I very much prefer online-based email. I think Yahoo, Gmail, and a few others like Hushmail will be around for awhile.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:04 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,078 times
I use craigslist alot and I use gmail. All you do is just right click on the craigslist email and create shortcut, paste it into your email and get rid of all the extra stuff in the email, i.e. mail to: and anything after com, or org and away she goes ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers