Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mac OS X vs Windows - Who survives the test of time?
Some version of OS X 33 37.50%
Some version of Windows 37 42.05%
Neither one 6 6.82%
Both 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times

Advertisements

Again, can you tell me what you using linux has to do with the topic of this thread?

Since you can't answer the question I'll answer it for you... nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 02:39 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Again, can you tell me what you using linux has to do with the topic of this thread?

Since you can't answer the question I'll answer it for you... nothing.
Fine, you can feel that way. Now, why do you even care? Sheesh, you've sure gone out of your way to be a jerk based on two simple sentences that I posted, nothing of which was derogatory or in any way inflammatory. Don't you have anything IMPORTANT to worry about?

Old 06-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Fine, you can feel that way. Now, why do you even care?
Because, as I said, it gets old. Are you not paying attention? We don't need the linux and firefox fanboys trolling the forums, pushing it on users of Windows, IE, OSX, or what ever. If you want to discuss it, start a thread on it, we don't need it in threads that have nothing to do with it. And a thread about whether Windows or OSX is gaining certainly has nothing to do with it.

Seriously, the OP asks which is winning, Windows or OSX, and you pop in and say you use linux, and then you try to argue the validity of your post when your called out (and you are not the first, nor will you be the last I'm sure), classic linux troll behavior. If you still don't understand, nothing else I can say will help you, I'll not be discussing it further.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Because, as I said, it gets old. Are you not paying attention? We don't need the linux and firefox fanboys trolling the forums, pushing it on users of Windows, IE, OSX, or what ever. If you want to discuss it, start a thread on it, we don't need it in threads that have nothing to do with it. And a thread about whether Windows or OSX is gaining certainly has nothing to do with it.

Seriously, the OP asks which is winning, Windows or OSX, and you pop in and say you use linux, and then you try to argue the validity of your post when your called out (and you are not the first, nor will you be the last I'm sure), classic linux troll behavior. If you still don't understand, nothing else I can say will help you, I'll not be discussing it further.
What the hell dude? You read way too much into what I wrote. What makes you think I'm "pushing" anybody? Just because I state that I use Linux doesn't mean I'm trying to convince anybody of anything. I am not a Linux "diehard" that thinks Linux has to be on every computer, and I would like to know where you got that from what I wrote.

This is fruitless, anyway. All I did was make a vague mention that I use Ubuntu, and you go off on a tangent about how people who use Linux "stick their OS up everyones rear end." Do you even care how you come accross to people? Or are you just a jerk? Would you have gotten so angry if I had said MS-DOS instead of Ubuntu? How about CP/M? For never having met me, you sure do make a bunch of assumptions about me and my character. There's a reason that the first part of assume is ass, because it's what you look like when you assume too much. I didn't come in "trolling" for any kind of response. I just replied to the topic in good fun, but you decided to make an issue where there was none, and I guess I was just numb enough to take the bait. Congratulations, you are a far better troll than I could ever hope to be. Are you this easily agitated in real life, or is this an act?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM

620 posts, read 2,084,745 times
OK gentlemen. You've both made your points. It's time to let it go.

As for my own opinion on the subject of your little conflict, I personally don't mind someone name dropping their own preference for an OS that is different from the two mainstream players. It serves as a reminder that our free market allows for much greater choice than simply the ones offered by Microsoft or Apple. IMHO, that should continue to be the case for many years to come, but I still see OS X gaining market share on Windows X with the potential for this trend to accelerate. Microsoft is not as nimble in the technology race as Apple is, which has been their advantage with corporate IT infrastructure. IT managers prefer a slower pace of change than that driven by competition for consumer dollars. What remains to be seen is whether longer term consumer trends will eventually drive changes to that IT infrastructure. It has consistently done so in the past. Corporate IT has seen in a very short time the transition from mainframes to minis to distributed networking to smart terminals using consumer priced PCs. And, that puts us at about 1990. So, little has changed in the IT world since 1990. When the economy starts booming again, that lack of leadership will translate into competitive catchup. Remember, IT spending is driven by the need to repair competitive inefficiencies.

The one constant in technology is change. You can depend on it.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Slightly more evidence to support my simple thesis:

In last Friday's market action, Apple, Microsoft: Money Flow Leaders (AAPL, MSFT)

Apple, Inc. topped the list in late trading on Friday for Buying on Weakness , which tracks stocks that fell in price but had the largest inflow of money.

Microsoft Corp. topped the list for Selling on Strength , which tracks stocks that rose in price but had the largest outflow of money.

This is not a one day event. This has been a general trend for some time now.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM

ComputerWorld
June 14, 2009 - 12:09 P.M.
WWDC MacBook Pros have more than 3X battery life as originals
Seth Weintraub

The big surprise coming out of Apple's 2009 Worldwide Developers Conference appears to be the new batteries in the MacBook Pros. Early testers are seeing that the new MBP's have a huge amount better power consumption than their predecessors did. Not just a few percentage points, either. In some cases, people are seeing double the battery life.

Battery technology simply doesn't advance this fast – or does it?

While the batteries themselves have almost 29-46% more capacity while keeping the MacBook Pros the same size and weight, the power management seems to be a big star as well.

<snip>

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
ComputerWorld
June 14, 2009 - 12:09 P.M.
WWDC MacBook Pros have more than 3X battery life as originals
Seth Weintraub

The big surprise coming out of Apple's 2009 Worldwide Developers Conference appears to be the new batteries in the MacBook Pros. Early testers are seeing that the new MBP's have a huge amount better power consumption than their predecessors did. Not just a few percentage points, either. In some cases, people are seeing double the battery life.

Battery technology simply doesn't advance this fast – or does it?

<snip>
Reverse engineered alien technology perhaps?

Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Or, ... (dare I say it?) ... just alien technology. (gasp!)

Old 06-17-2009, 03:54 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,127,496 times
Nice conversation guys!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I think that both systems work well, with aOS-X being (almost) Idiot-proof ad Windows being more versitile.

The problems are just as stated. Mac is VERY restrictive when it comes to compatibility (unless you start running emulators, but why run an emulator on a $2000 machine when you can get, or build one for half that and get the same performance?)

The other thing that bugs me has NOTHING to do with the OS. The advertising. Trying to make it seem like PC's are SO heinous it is OK to hate them (there is nothing wrong with you if you don't know how to reboot!!) and make it seem like your electronics are fashion accessories.

I HOPE that is not representative of the Mac community (Hello, I'm a mac, and my sweatshirt costs $500).

Anywho, I would LIKE them BOTH to learn form the other. After having problems on my mothers laptop and finding new ways to crash a Mac (and get nothing more than a little bomb or other cute icon telling me so) or the PC (and having machine code tell me things I have no way of knowing, only to click on the link to the browser which say IT doesn't know either!) I hope they come somewhere in between. Tell me what process hung up. What conflicted. Maybe what two proggies do not LIKE each other.

As for the original question of who will last?

Probably M$, because even though I like them (sorta) more than Mac, they are evil. I think they will eventually buy controlling interest in Mac (haven't they already, or am I thinking of something else...0 and assimilate them.

Either that or they will keep running them as if they were something completely different when all they are are two different skins for the same OS, but charge you more for the OS XX because it is prettier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers