Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times

Advertisements

Tried google for answer but went no where.I have a 4GB san disk stick.I want to copy files from ME to stick and then to my new XP. Can't seem to find any info on how to do this.If site is available would be appreciated.Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Plug in the stick, it should be detected automatically. If ME doesn't have the drivers though you'll need to get them and install them before you can use the stick. Once it is installed go to My Computer and you'll see the stick as a different drive. Drag whatever you want to the stick and it will be copied over.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,934,575 times
I am pretty computer dumb,on my Computer field it shows;Removable Disk F CD Rom U3 sys G I do not understand where stick comes into play,I do not see any indication. Without knowing what I was doing I hit copy over ichon in my document and now drive F shows 97 used 3 left does that indicate a copy was done to stick? If so when I plug into XP how do I download?I thank you for reply,neither book mentions the stick.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
You might be seeing some overlap in drive letters.

Do you have a printer attached that has a slot(s) to plug in chips from a camera? If so, those are assigned drive letters, and a problem can arise when the printer is plugged into the PC, those slots are assigned letters and you plug in a flash drive. Windows has a tendency to get confused.

If you have one of these printers unplug it and reboot. Plug in the flash drive and see if yo get a better result.

To check (with the flash drive plugged in):

Go to Start>Control Panel>Adminstrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management

On the right side you will see a listing of drives. Some will be called disks, some CD ROM, etc. Your hard drives, those slots in the printer, and the flash drive are considered disks.

Look for a disk on the right side that shows as being slightly less than 4GB. For instance, my 8GB drive displays as a 7.47 GB drive. In the gray box at the left end of the listing for my flash it says:

Disk 1
Removable
7.47 GB

Yours should say the same thing except for the size.

In the white box to the right of this listing is the name of the drive and the drive letter it uses. Now you know what letter to look for when copying.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,194 times
May i get detailed print out of how to use my memory stick,to take old data of my old computer and put on my new computer. pls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers