Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM

149 posts, read 467,617 times

Advertisements

Windows 7 isin't letting me defragment my hard drive. Despite being an NTFS system, the Disk Defragmenter is only letting me analyze.

I've scheduled the computer to defragment once every month but it's pointless if the system won't do what it's supposed to. The computer is a brand-new Lenovo PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Errors?

There are no pop-up windows after analyze finishes?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Try downloading Auslogics Disk Defragmenter at download.com. It is free and does a better job than the Windows defragmenter.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Try downloading Auslogics Disk Defragmenter at download.com. It is free and does a better job than the Windows defragmenter.
And explore some of their other utilities while on their site, most are free, including the disk defragmenter.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Thanks! I downloaded the Auslogics Disk Defragmenter and Auslogics BoostSpeed tool. Both are far superior to Microsoft. Amazingly, I'm not even a month in to owning this thing and there are already 324 registry errors, 1,228 junk files and apparently a disk error situation marked as 'Critical'. The only downside is I have to purchase BoostSpeed in order to fix all the issues. Is there a free alternative?

Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Download the registry cleaner seperately, also free, as is the dupe file finder, and others.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerstoneEagle04 View Post
I have to purchase BoostSpeed in order to fix all the issues. Is there a free alternative?
If you download the programme, you have 15 days to use it ???
It may do what you want it to do , no ?

Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Thanks! I downloaded the Auslogics Disk Defragmenter and Auslogics BoostSpeed tool. Both are far superior to Microsoft. Amazingly, I'm not even a month in to owning this thing and there are already 324 registry errors, 1,228 junk files and apparently a disk error situation marked as 'Critical'. The only downside is I have to purchase BoostSpeed in order to fix all the issues. Is there a free alternative?
If your system is brand new and already is encountering bad spots on disk bring it back and get it fixed/replaced...

Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
and apparently a disk error situation marked as 'Critical'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
If your system is brand new and already is encountering bad spots on disk bring it back and get it fixed/replaced...
I do have a purchased version of Boostspeed (50 green ones for use on 3 computers), and each time it runs, it *always* finds a *disk error* sometimes even error(s) ...
I guess, it is not really a disk error, but a disk read error or a disk write error ???
Each time the disk is *repaired*. If the disk has a bad spot, how does it get repaired each time ???

All 3 machines run without hiccups,
so I have not been that concerned yet ...

Are they *fast(er)* after Boostspeed ??? who knows ???
My opinion is that a slow computer could be slow because of the programme that happens to be used.
I had two PDF readers. One took almost forever to load a PDF file, the other one just popped up a fraction of a second after I clicked on it.
Needless to say I dumped the slowpoke.

Strange thing is that it (Boostspeed) always says that there is one programme that slows down the computer.
It never fixes it, and it does not say which one it is ??? Duuuuh ...
Maybe it is Boostspeed itself ???

Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM

This is interesting. I just booted up the computer and now BoostSpeed indicates 323 registry errors, 1247 junk files, and NO disk errors. It lost one registry error, gained 19 junk files and lost the disk error all in 15 minutes without me doing anything.

That seems odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman
Maybe it is Boostspeed itself ???
I'm beginning to think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers