U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 PM

134 posts, read 131,236 times

Advertisements

I have an XPS M1530 and I personally love it. However, if you're planning to use Linux, BSD, or Windows XP, keep in mind that setting any of them up with the hardware is a little difficult and does require some technical skills. I removed crap Vista and installed XP. However, I did have to create a custom XP disk using SATA/RAID drivers, nLite, and some other utilities. I also had Fedora Linux, but it was a pain getting the touchpad to work, and the hard drive was making an odd noise for a little while, but I fixed all of those problems. It really matters what you're planning to do with a computer when you're looking to buy one. If you're just going to use it to post on forums, browse the net, check email, etc, then you'd be better off with a lower end laptop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 AM

339 posts, read 1,217,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingthecow View Post
I have an XPS M1530 and I personally love it. However, if you're planning to use Linux, BSD, or Windows XP, keep in mind that setting any of them up with the hardware is a little difficult and does require some technical skills. I removed crap Vista and installed XP. However, I did have to create a custom XP disk using SATA/RAID drivers, nLite, and some other utilities. I also had Fedora Linux, but it was a pain getting the touchpad to work, and the hard drive was making an odd noise for a little while, but I fixed all of those problems. It really matters what you're planning to do with a computer when you're looking to buy one. If you're just going to use it to post on forums, browse the net, check email, etc, then you'd be better off with a lower end laptop.
I was planning on taking it to university (uni) as my only computer, so I would be using it for games (some high-end) as well as for uni work.

Thank you very much for your help. I noticed you mentioned RAID drivers: are there two hard drives as standard, or did you choose it as an option.

@SteelMan: That is what I was expecting, as most companies have outsourced, but I agree that it is not good. Thank you very much.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 AM

No, it's just a SATA/RAID bundle (the drivers), but I do not have any RAID setup. It's just a 250GB 7200RPM SATA drive. Now, when you say Uni work, are you going into any engineering related field? If so, this is a great computer for you. Still, for gaming, I would definitely say that this is going to be your laptop of choice.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 AM

16,898 posts, read 11,118,508 times
I always check out PC World (http://www.pcworld.in/india/reviews/4260709/Desktops__Notebooks/Dell_XPS_M1530 - broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
No, it's just a SATA/RAID bundle (the drivers), but I do not have any RAID setup. It's just a 250GB 7200RPM SATA drive. Now, when you say Uni work, are you going into any engineering related field? If so, this is a great computer for you. Still, for gaming, I would definitely say that this is going to be your laptop of choice.
I am actually moving into computer networks management and design, so I may be running simulation software or virtual machines a lot.

Thank you very much for your input, it has been invaluable. Reps coming up!

@2goldens: Thank you very much, but I find PC world to be worse than having gas gangrene. Reps anyway!

EDIT: @walkingthecow: Sorry, I only just read the SATA/RAID bit properly. Thank you!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,295,405 times
collins, if you're going into network management and design, from my experience, a lot of the 3rd party apps (fore wireless networks at any rate) are written for Windows.. so the likelihood that you'll need to be running a linux distro would be small.. particularly since you'll spend a lot of time in telnet/ssh clients anyway. :P

It is nice to know the unix commands though.

aka, I wouldn't worry about walkingthecow's predictions as to drivers and such unless you want to run Linux. And if you want to run Linux, you're probably mostly aware of those problems anyway.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
collins, if you're going into network management and design, from my experience, a lot of the 3rd party apps (fore wireless networks at any rate) are written for Windows.. so the likelihood that you'll need to be running a linux distro would be small.. particularly since you'll spend a lot of time in telnet/ssh clients anyway. :P

It is nice to know the unix commands though.

aka, I wouldn't worry about walkingthecow's predictions as to drivers and such unless you want to run Linux. And if you want to run Linux, you're probably mostly aware of those problems anyway.
Network management and design and you're recommending Windows? Haha, you've got to be kidding me. No offense, but most major corporations are running UNIX based servers, and there's a lot more than just knowing the command line. It also pays to know scripting languages (sed, awk, perl), sockets, daemons, servers (BIND, Apache, Oracle), and much, much more. Really, terrible advice to stick with Windows if you're going into networking. I would definitely get into AIX and Solaris as well, along with Linux and any BSD. Most people in the field do NOT have respect for networks whose backbone is Windows. Another thing, Linux is a good starting point for Cisco command line as well via terminal. Anyway, do NOT stick with Windows if you're going into networking.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Network management and design and you're recommending Windows? Haha, you've got to be kidding me. No offense, but most major corporations are running UNIX based servers, and there's a lot more than just knowing the command line. It also pays to know scripting languages (sed, awk, perl), sockets, daemons, servers (BIND, Apache, Oracle), and much, much more. Really, terrible advice to stick with Windows if you're going into networking. I would definitely get into AIX and Solaris as well, along with Linux and any BSD. Most people in the field do NOT have respect for networks whose backbone is Windows. Another thing, Linux is a good starting point for Cisco command line as well via terminal. Anyway, do NOT stick with Windows if you're going into networking.
Im sorry,

but what does the server OS have to do with this person's laptop?!

If Unix was the mainstream, then all of our company laptops would be Unix, our network PCs, the NOC PCs, the monitoring software, etc.

There is NO NEED to use Linux as your primary OS. if you want to, great, but there is no need for a LAPTOP to have Linux as the primary OS.

Now, if you're setting up servers, etc... get used to linux. Get used to command line, but if you're just starting out, there is absolutely no need. Except for command line. It is very useful to know the unix commands. But, its not like you're just going to know perl. You're going to need a dev server to play around on, and your main laptop is NOT a good place to be testing code. Not to mention, you'll want to be familiar with SSH, telnet, etc for those devices that require it.

But you're going to LEARN that somewhere. You dont need to use it every day to learn it.

And, in my experience, at an ISP... there are a number of applications that are ONLY coded for Windows. Most of them are lower level, or vendor specific, but they DO exist and you need to know how to use them effectively.

I have YET to see an IT person in networking who uses a UNIX distro as their OS. Windows allows you to interface well with other people in your company, exchange is a useful thing to have around, etc, etc.

I'm sorry, but my recommendation was for the poster's laptop. Not any servers they might set up.

Also, I dont care what OS you use for a server so long as its operational and stable. And in my experience, a majority of those extremely stable servers are windows based.

My rant aside:
I have been using XP because my brother works at Microsoft and has given me copies of XP.
I use Ubuntu more and more as I enjoy it more and more.
At work, your computer is GOING to be Windows based.
My roommate cannot diagnose windows based problems, or change settings in Windows because he SOLELY uses Mac OS X and Ubuntu.
The business world, the work PCs, etc... are going to be Windows based.
If you want to hack it in IT, you NEED to know how to troubleshoot windows issues.
Anything that you might gain from using linux as your primary OS is going to be eclipsed within the first 2 chapters of any programming/unix/Cisco course you take.
Cisco commands are easy enough to understand, and their help is extremely informative.
Juniper commands are a bit different, but also easy enough to understand.

DONT worry about it.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Grrr. Its a laptop. NOT a server.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Guys, thank you for taking this issue on so strongly, but it was not my intention to cause an argument.

I have a solution anyway: virtual machines. Keep Vista, and VM whatever linux/unix OS I need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers