U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 AM

339 posts, read 1,214,586 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am looking a buying a Dell XPS M1530, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions both on this laptop and Dell overall.

Thank you,
Lloyd Collins
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,119,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Hi all,
I am looking a buying a Dell XPS M1530, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions both on this laptop and Dell overall.

Thank you,
Lloyd Collins
It's hard to find 881 reviews of this product, other than on the Dell website:

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop Product Details

Click on the reviews to see them.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
It's hard to find 881 reviews of this product, other than on the Dell website:

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop Product Details

Click on the reviews to see them.
Thank you for your input, but I was under the impression that dell would edit/only post reviews that gave a positive appearance to the product, and that would not give me an opinion of dell overall.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your input, but I was under the impression that dell would edit/only post reviews that gave a positive appearance to the product, and that would not give me an opinion of dell overall.
I don't think so! Here is one from 20 Oct 08, with a "1" (out of 5) rating:

Title: Touchpad problems, volume button, loose camera Date: October 20, 2008

Reviewer Images
(click to see full-size image)
(Click anywhere inside this popup to close it) iPhone connected at USB 1.1 speed Pros
+ attractive
+ click-anywhere-keyboard
+ comfortable fan noise
+ hdmi with HD audio (not tested though)
+ sweet blue light behind volume and drive buttons
+ detects + comfortable fan noise (subjective though)

Cons
- touchpad problems even after A08 bios upgrade
- stiff volume and drive buttons
- home and sleep buttons divert stand out as ugly among the sweet drive and volume buttons
- usb problems
- harddisk whine noise (not seeking)
- loose camera panel
- fastest harddisk on market yet Vista still slugs along when trying to do to things at the same time
- no green gigabit ethernet
- no esata
- no led backlight
- bad contrast compared to my dads BenQ 24" G2400W although they are based on same tech i think

Additional Thoughts
- Touchpad sometimes unresponsive even after bios A08 upgrade. My iPhone and my dads old laptop has never acted like this.
- The volume and drive buttons are very hard to depress, and my "increase volume" button doesn't work.
- iPhone sometimes connects at USB 1.1 speed and is slow to sync (I get a "this device can perform faster" notification bubble). Could be iPhone or iTunes or Vista bug.
- harddisk is not mounted soft and produces a whine from the spinning motion (not seek noise)
- The panel in front of the camera above the screen is loose
- vista network and audio notification icons gone and network does not work sometimes. Might be Vista bug
- Touchpad, loose camera panel, hard volume and drive buttons and out-of-style home and sleep buttons is bad design and give bad usability. They haven't tested this product enough and such problems are unforgivable. Problems with software and especially Microsoft OS problems are not so much under their control, but at least they could have done great what they could.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I don't think so! Here is one from 20 Oct 08, with a "1" (out of 5) rating:

Title: Touchpad problems, volume button, loose camera Date: October 20, 2008

Reviewer Images
(click to see full-size image)
(Click anywhere inside this popup to close it) iPhone connected at USB 1.1 speed Pros
+ attractive
+ click-anywhere-keyboard
+ comfortable fan noise
+ hdmi with HD audio (not tested though)
+ sweet blue light behind volume and drive buttons
+ detects + comfortable fan noise (subjective though)

Cons
- touchpad problems even after A08 bios upgrade
- stiff volume and drive buttons
- home and sleep buttons divert stand out as ugly among the sweet drive and volume buttons
- usb problems
- harddisk whine noise (not seeking)
- loose camera panel
- fastest harddisk on market yet Vista still slugs along when trying to do to things at the same time
- no green gigabit ethernet
- no esata
- no led backlight
- bad contrast compared to my dads BenQ 24" G2400W although they are based on same tech i think

Additional Thoughts
- Touchpad sometimes unresponsive even after bios A08 upgrade. My iPhone and my dads old laptop has never acted like this.
- The volume and drive buttons are very hard to depress, and my "increase volume" button doesn't work.
- iPhone sometimes connects at USB 1.1 speed and is slow to sync (I get a "this device can perform faster" notification bubble). Could be iPhone or iTunes or Vista bug.
- harddisk is not mounted soft and produces a whine from the spinning motion (not seek noise)
- The panel in front of the camera above the screen is loose
- vista network and audio notification icons gone and network does not work sometimes. Might be Vista bug
- Touchpad, loose camera panel, hard volume and drive buttons and out-of-style home and sleep buttons is bad design and give bad usability. They haven't tested this product enough and such problems are unforgivable. Problems with software and especially Microsoft OS problems are not so much under their control, but at least they could have done great what they could.
Okay, okay, I walked into that one!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,281,304 times
Dells either work, or they dont.

At Boeing's upgrade, we assumed 10% DOA from factory.

10%. Straight from the factory. Some nights, we exceeded that.

But, when they work... they work well.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Dells either work, or they dont.

At Boeing's upgrade, we assumed 10% DOA from factory.

10%. Straight from the factory. Some nights, we exceeded that.

But, when they work... they work well.
Thank you very much. How good is Dell's customer service for replacing DOAs?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:46 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,281,304 times
I haven't had to deal with them directly, but from what I can tell, they try to fix the computer first rather than replace the whole thing. (generally its one or two parts that are broken) of the people I know who have had to deal with dell customer support, I haven't heard many complaints.

At the same time, if it doesn't work, just hand it back to them and ask them for another one out of a brand new box. Be adamant.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I haven't had to deal with them directly, but from what I can tell, they try to fix the computer first rather than replace the whole thing. (generally its one or two parts that are broken) of the people I know who have had to deal with dell customer support, I haven't heard many complaints.

At the same time, if it doesn't work, just hand it back to them and ask them for another one out of a brand new box. Be adamant.
Thank you very much.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much. How good is Dell's customer service for replacing DOAs?
Now that is a horse of a different color. Even though I never had a DOA computer from them, I did have a defective software disk. When I called them, I got a guy from India who didn't speak English very well. Here I live in San Antonio, Texas and they made my computer in Round Rock, Texas (about 80 miles North), and I get a guy from India. Anyway, they sent me the wrong disk. So much for outsourcing...bring the jobs back to the US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers