U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM

40,237 posts, read 69,597,592 times

Advertisements

I got this message back on two undeliverable emails this morning, and have no idea. Sent the email again, and it was delivered. This were attached photos from XP's "My Pictures," that I attempted to send without having Outlook opened.
I opened Outlook, attached the photos, and sent them successfully.
Is having Outlook open independently from "My Pictures" the key?

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: Emailing: ********
Sent: 10/31/2008 11:45 AM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
'c*******.com' on 10/31/2008 11:45 AM
553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,821,437 times
Sounds like someone spilled beer on the email server, but they cleaned it up in time for you to retry.

I doubt it was any problem on your end. They were probably having DNS issues or something.

Have you tried to send stuff without Outlook open before successfully? Maybe Outlook -has- to be open to login to your mail server. It doesn't make much sense considering you have the option to right click and send, though.

Last edited by J Arp; 10-31-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: stuffs.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Sounds like someone spilled beer on the email server, but they cleaned it up in time for you to retry.

I doubt it was any problem on your end. They were probably having DNS issues or something.

Have you tried to send stuff without Outlook open before successfully? Maybe Outlook -has- to be open to login to your mail server. It doesn't make much sense considering you have the option to right click and send, though.
I have had this issue before, and cannot remember the circumstance. I'm just curious about the error message.
Might have to do a couple of trials with Outlook closed.

I would be glad to help them with the beer...

Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM

21,029 posts, read 21,416,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
This means that the server the message was being delivered to or sent through wasn't configured to accept mail for the domain you were sending to.

In a nutshell, here's how an e-mail generally flows through the Internet.

Your client (e.g. Outlook) composes the message, and attempts to deliver it to whatever server is configured as the outbound (SMTP) server. That server (typically) accepts the message and puts it into a queue. At this point, Outlook has completed its task and considers the message "Sent".

The SMTP server then looks at the domain in the "To" address to determine what server it should attempt to forward the message through. The details of how are unimportant, but it's (usually) able to come up with one or more servers that are supposed to accept mail for that domain. It then tries to deliver the message to one of those servers. This step can be repeated multiple times, depending on how the various networks and mail servers are configured to handle incoming mail.

If the server it's trying to deliver the message to doesn't accept the message, it will give a reason. The reason (as far as the sending server is concerned) is determined by the numeric error code (e.g. 553) - the text of the error (e.g. "sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA") is for human eyes only, and can usually be set arbitrarily by the mail server administrator. An error starting with a 5 is a failure message, and the sending server should give up and bounce the message, resulting in the notification you received.

It sounds complicated. It both is and isn't. The basic concept is fairly simple, but the mechanisms designed to complete the task aren't.

Anyway, this is probably way more information than you really needed or wanted, but there you go.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This means that the server the message was being delivered to or sent through wasn't configured to accept mail for the domain you were sending to.

In a nutshell, here's how an e-mail generally flows through the Internet.

Your client (e.g. Outlook) composes the message, and attempts to deliver it to whatever server is configured as the outbound (SMTP) server. That server (typically) accepts the message and puts it into a queue. At this point, Outlook has completed its task and considers the message "Sent".

The SMTP server then looks at the domain in the "To" address to determine what server it should attempt to forward the message through. The details of how are unimportant, but it's (usually) able to come up with one or more servers that are supposed to accept mail for that domain. It then tries to deliver the message to one of those servers. This step can be repeated multiple times, depending on how the various networks and mail servers are configured to handle incoming mail.

If the server it's trying to deliver the message to doesn't accept the message, it will give a reason. The reason (as far as the sending server is concerned) is determined by the numeric error code (e.g. 553) - the text of the error (e.g. "sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA") is for human eyes only, and can usually be set arbitrarily by the mail server administrator. An error starting with a 5 is a failure message, and the sending server should give up and bounce the message, resulting in the notification you received.

It sounds complicated. It both is and isn't. The basic concept is fairly simple, but the mechanisms designed to complete the task aren't.

Anyway, this is probably way more information than you really needed or wanted, but there you go.
Thanks, Swagger.
Good information, and certainly not too much.

I sent it to the corporate email address for one of the assistants, and it bounced.
But 5 minutes later, the second attempt was accepted.

Maybe one of a few/several servers at corporate has an issue with my host server?

Old 10-31-2008, 12:58 PM

21,029 posts, read 21,416,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maybe one of a few/several servers at corporate has an issue with my host server?
I'd say it's likely either a typo on your part on the address (easy to check), or an admin was screwing around with the server and caused it to temporarily bounce legitimate e-mail. As long as it went through on the second try, it doesn't really matter - if it was a typo, it was a one time mistake, and if it was on the server end, whatever the problem was has been resolved.

EDIT: On the server end, it could have also been an issue with a database or company directory being temporarily unavailable - there's literally hundreds of possible reasons it could have bounced the message even if it was properly addressed. I don't want to automatically blame the admin when it may not be their fault...

Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd say it's likely either a typo on your part on the address (easy to check), or an admin was screwing around with the server and caused it to temporarily bounce legitimate e-mail. As long as it went through on the second try, it doesn't really matter - if it was a typo, it was a one time mistake, and if it was on the server end, whatever the problem was has been resolved.

EDIT: On the server end, it could have also been an issue with a database or company directory being temporarily unavailable - there's literally hundreds of possible reasons it could have bounced the message even if it was properly addressed. I don't want to automatically blame the admin when it may not be their fault...
Yes, the mail DID go through, and that's the bottom line.
Thanks, again.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:26 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,266,530 times
Yeah, unless it was a typo of the domain Mike, thats going to be a server issue.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Yeah, unless it was a typo of the domain Mike, thats going to be a server issue.
Then it was the server.
Not a typo.
The email address was autocompleted in Outlook on both sending attempts.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2008, 12:01 PM

4,603 posts, read 7,810,890 times
A possibility to consider, the recipient using a spam filter. I use several different email addresses@domains, whether @gmail, @yahoo, @roadrunner, @mydomain... and all get pointed to *myself*@pobox.com where I use some fairly serious filters. Every two or three days I check the 'held messages' to see if anyone I know got trapped, usually not. However, if a sender is logged into one domain and uses SMTP at another domain then that persons email to me may get trapped and probly deleted. About every 2nd or 3rd day I delete about 150 or so trapped emails per day, on average.

Consequently, at home I will download about 10 - 15 messages a day, all wanted and intended for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers