U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:50 PM

526 posts, read 987,317 times

Advertisements

so i was the one who praised vista and started a post on it, well it came time to chuck it out the window today, im now typing on my XP Pro sp3
i guess my poor pentium 4 couldnt handle vista no matter how i tweaked it even after adding memory to make it 2gb, it was a desicion long assessed the other day i went to play sim city 4, used to play on xp any ways i did what i normally do, load a few songs in winamp( wich apparently crashes in vista?) and then would turn un nessecary processes off including the internet and anti-virus and vista theme to win classic to free some mb's up , but as soon as the game loaded BAM it was skiping the music and the game was freezing every few sec or so. anyweays i guess im trying to say did anyone have the same problem with the Pentium 4 HT skip music when doing one or two things? when having vista installed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,291,228 times
Vista alone needs a minimum of 2gb ram to be mostly happy.

You did the right thing about going back to XP.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:04 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,512,103 times
Probably better off with 64 bit architecture for all the RAM you might want.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 38,027,707 times
Underpowered hardware = bad experience

You'd have the same results trying to run XP on a Pentium II/266Mhz with 128MB of RAM and a Trident 2MB PCI video card. On the other hand, my Core 2 Duo runs Vista great.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Underpowered hardware = bad experience

You'd have the same results trying to run XP on a Pentium II/266Mhz with 128MB of RAM and a Trident 2MB PCI video card. On the other hand, my Core 2 Duo runs Vista great.
ohh i know that, my pc in the other room
is athlon 64
ati 256 mb graphics
2 raid drives at 80gb piece
2gb ddr2 400mhz
it runs vista very nicely. so it was a test on this computer to see if it worked, it does, but only when doing basic tasks, which i dont blame it since my pentium 4 was made sometime in 2003
its just sad to say back in the day we were able to have a computer last through at least 2 OS before everything became obsolete now forget it the second you bring it home BANG a month later something new comes out

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 AM

11,715 posts, read 38,027,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
its just sad to say back in the day we were able to have a computer last through at least 2 OS before everything became obsolete
I think the difference this time is that XP was out for so long. That's got to be the longest Microsoft has gone without a new version. Had there been a new Windows in 2004 it probably would have run just fine on anything that originally came with XP going back to the end of 2001.

Heck, even the Pentium 4 architecture was out for a long time and aged badly. My last computer was a P4-1.8 I built in 2002. As I thought about building a new PC in 2006, the current chip from Intel was still a P4 or the P4 based Pentium D, neither or which impressed me. I wasn't looking forward to building a new system that wasn't much better than the old one and I've had issues with non-Intel motherboard chipsets over the years so I didn't want to go that route again.

Luckily, the Core 2 Duo came out toward the end of 2006. After seeing Vista on different computers, I've concluded that it really was written for Core 2 Duo and beyond. Trying to run it on a single core, P4-HT, or Pentium D just doesn't give the same experience. But I think a lot of it depends on the user. My wife was just fine running Vista on my old P4-1.8 with 1GB of RAM for a year until I could build her a C2D system. I wanted to shoot myself every time I had to use it but she was OK with it.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:24 PM

10,837 posts, read 19,715,600 times
Ya have to wonder though why Vista sucks so badly on older hardware but Server 2008 runs so well on it. I installed Vista on my workstation at work when we go our action packs and it was horrible, had to reboot daily, slow, this and that crashing, but wiped it and loaded Server 08 on the exact same hardware, same applications is rock solid. This is on a P4 2.8 HT, 3GB ram.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 AM

48,507 posts, read 90,516,947 times
I just wnet from a computer with Xp to a new one wirth vista and no problems at all. been having toi for about a year now. It seesm very solid and something I actually like better than XP once you get past the safety warnig and elimi9ante them. No lockup or crashes so far and it seesm much betetr on exploer 7 that XP seemed to have so many crashes with.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,376,749 times
Before chucking it did you get the are you sure you want to continue

Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Before chucking it did you get the are you sure you want to continue
lol
no i turned it off, changed boot order and got rid of that foresaken OS lol
im just wondering if 7 will be any good, since its gunna be a beefed up version of vista, with a nicer interface, and less security annoyance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers