Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,938,888 times

Advertisements

I just got another blue screen during a scan with AD-AWARE. The error message read STOP: Ox00000077 (0x00000B5, OX00000000 OX01CD0000)

The message from MS said it was a stop error due to a device driver with a lot of solutions, but hard to understand what to do.

I had another thread about this issue. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 AM

23,624 posts, read 23,939,208 times
Quote:
STOP Error 0x00000077: KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR
STOP error 0x77 means that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. STOP code 0x00000077 may also display "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR" on the same STOP message.
First, back your system up. If you have failing hardware, you want to make sure that you don't lose any important data.

Next, make sure you're up to date with all your Windows updates and service packs. http://update.microsoft.com/

Then I'd look at a few other possibilities as the most likely problem(s).

The next thing I'd check is to make sure that your system is free of dust/debris, particularly in the fins of the CPU heat sink, the power supply and any other cooling devices (fans), and that all the fans are working properly & spinning at the proper speed. I wouldn't check this first because it's the most likely, but because it's quick, easy and doesn't cost anything. Heat is a very common cause of all kinds of problems.

Next, I'd check the hard drive. Is it defragmented? Do you have a reasonable amount of free space (20% or more)? If it's not very fragmented, run a chkdsk /r /f on your system disk (drive C: ). You'll have to reboot for it to actually do the scan. NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR SYSTEM PRIOR TO RUNNING THIS! It may solve your problem, but the potential is there for it to make things worse, as well. It's very unlikely, but possible. Backup, backup, and then backup, just to make sure.

It could also be faulty RAM, or even a bad CPU. The disk is the most likely culprit with this error, but bad RAM could also be causing it. The CPU is unlikely, but possible. RAM is pretty cheap these days, so you could always buy some and swap out what's in your system to see if the problem goes away.

My best guess is that the hard drive is on its way out, or may have bad sectors that haven't been mapped. A chkdsk should help, if that's the case, but again, while trying to recover data from the bad sectors (the /r switch), things could get wonky - backup your system first.

Problems with data corruption often occur as a result of "dirty" power. It's been estimated that as much as 80% of PC problems are due to it. If you don't have a conditioning battery backup for your PC, it's never a bad idea to get one - something like the APC Back-UPS LS line is suitable.

Good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM

712 posts, read 2,142,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Any thoughts?
Start by not using ad-aware.. that error code is very random.. I've never seen it so.. my guess is ad-aware caused it if your having actual problems with reading your hard drive though (which is what ad-aware does when it's doing it's scan) you can try and create another crash through better software like nod32 etc.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,563,651 times
Go to Windows Explorer or My Computer and right click drive C:. Click on Properties and open the Tools tab.

Click on "Check Now" and place a check mark in both boxes. Click on start and the prog will tell you it will run at the next reboot.

Reboot the computer and let the programs run. This will take a while. One of these is a program that will scan the disk for problems (physical errors) and either try to repair the problem (rare) or mark the area as unusable so programs won't try to write to that portion of the platter.

Try AdAware again and see if the problem persists. If it does I agree with themaster that it's time to try a different anti-spyware program.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,938,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Start by not using ad-aware.. that error code is very random.. I've never seen it so.. my guess is ad-aware caused it if your having actual problems with reading your hard drive though (which is what ad-aware does when it's doing it's scan) you can try and create another crash through better software like nod32 etc.
If I don't use AdAware to check for spyware, should I just stick with Comcast and Yahoo Spyware Scan? I want to stick with the free ones. I've been using AdAware for a few years and never a problem. Maybe it doesn't like something new on here.

These computers are getting better...... then again they are not. My older Dell (Dimension) never gave me the problems this XPS 400 has.

Thanks all for your help!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM

AdAware isn't the problem - it's almost certainly hardware related. The STOP code you reported is indicative of a failure to read data that has been paged to the disk.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM

I wouldn't be to sure about that.. the biggest thing that's hard to go on is a un-reproducible problem.. I spent just an hour earlier today working on a hard drive that was partially failing.. meaning it worked and it didn't and there was no magic blue screen there.. (btw common blue screen errors I’ve seen are 08E and things like that sometimes there ram, sometimes there hard drive.. sometimes there software)

Now if you can get the problem to reproduce that would be helpful in a diagnosis.. for example if you run the ad-aware scan again does it crash if yes.. ? Coincidence? not a chance.. especially if you used a program like nod32 (good general adware/virus software not the best.. just the best I know off)

The only real question to hard drive failure is.. (if it's that) is do I have important data?

If the answer is yes taurus then you should backup or put a copy of your important data on backup drive.. if the answer is no.. then you have nothing to lose.. if you want to fix the problem you have to isolate it.. that means make a change and test.. and if it's completely random (well those are the worst to fix)

Anyway additional adware/malware programs I use are..
- hijackthis
- roguefix
- malwarebytes

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-09-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
for example if you run the ad-aware scan again does it crash if yes.. ? Coincidence? not a chance..
Yes, there's a chance.

You have to look at the error code and what it means. 0x77 is very specific - there was an error reading paged data from the page file. While this could be software, it's highly unlikely to be AdAware if it is. Something working at a lower level (e.g. antivirus, drive emulator, etc.) would be a much better candidate as a software issue. Unmapped bad sectors is far and away the most likely cause, though. Attention should be focused there before attempting to track down a software problem that likely doesn't exist.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM

I solve problems through troubleshooting.. if adware was the first cause.. that's where I'd start.. if it lead to hardware.. then it would..

I don't know how many failing computers you've worked on.. but I've worked on plenty if they have serious problems they manifest almost instantaneously??

if you have random erroneous errors that come out of the middle of nowhere like doing a hard drive scan.. then you’re in for hell.. (and this person hasn’t confirmed which type it is)

Moderator cut: Personal Attack The best way to get to that root is first to isolate if the error is random or reproducible from there.. if reproducible you make changes until it goes away.. this means test the ram, run the hard drive utility, chkdsk whatever..

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-09-2008 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I solve problems through troubleshooting.. if adware was the first cause.. that's where I'd start.. if it lead to hardware.. then it would..

I don't know how many failing computers you've worked on.. but I've worked on plenty if they have serious problems they manifest almost instantaneously??

if you have random erroneous errors that come out of the middle of nowhere like doing a hard drive scan.. then you’re in for hell.. (and this person hasn’t confirmed which type it is)

Moderator cut: Personal Attack The best way to get to that root is first to isolate if the error is random or reproducible from there.. if reproducible you make changes until it goes away.. this means test the ram, run the hard drive utility, chkdsk whatever..
You're ignoring the most important piece of information you have - THE ERROR CODE.

Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-09-2008 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: fixed quote and removed attack back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers