Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:33 PM
 
Location: NH. NY. SC. next move, my ground condo
3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Reputation: 4520

Advertisements

does anyone know if when you switch isp's if you lose your favorites and if you do is there away that i can save them ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
 
28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Reputation: 37905
Favorites are stored locally, both for IE and FF. You should retain all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Declezville, CA
16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Reputation: 17694
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
does anyone know if when you switch isp's if you lose your favorites
You do not lose them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
is there away that i can save them ?
Yes: How to backup and restore my Internet Favorites / Bookmarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Reputation: 7586
The exception would be if you're using some BS ISP with their own software like AOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 AM
 
Location: NH. NY. SC. next move, my ground condo
3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Reputation: 4520
thankyou very much for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 06:56 AM
 
Location: NH. NY. SC. next move, my ground condo
3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Reputation: 4520
i'm going to be changing isp from dsl to a wireless internet like verison or at&t . does anyone know what os they use and if i will still be able to save all my favorites with out having to write them all down ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Arden, NC
535 posts, read 1,741,452 times
Reputation: 236
Your favorites are stored on your computer. I use a lot of different connections on my laptop - ATT for home, whatever wireless the coffee house has when I'm there, my work connection when I'm working - and my favorites are always there.

Does that help? If you're worried about losing them just back them up. If you're not sure how post and we can provide instructions. Or you can use google to look 'em up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: NH. NY. SC. next move, my ground condo
3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Reputation: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Your favorites are stored on your computer. I use a lot of different connections on my laptop - ATT for home, whatever wireless the coffee house has when I'm there, my work connection when I'm working - and my favorites are always there.

Does that help? If you're worried about losing them just back them up. If you're not sure how post and we can provide instructions. Or you can use google to look 'em up.

so if my fav's are on my computer how do i get them on my new computer? i just don't want to lose them because i have a ton of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Arden, NC
535 posts, read 1,741,452 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
so if my fav's are on my computer how do i get them on my new computer? i just don't want to lose them because i have a ton of them.
If you're getting a new computer just export them. If you open up the browser you're using, click the help feature and search for "Export" it will show you how. Save them in My Documents, then burn all of that to a CD, DVD or thumb drive.

I thought you were just swapping ISPs.

If you're getting a new PC, here's what to backup. First export your favorites and save them somewhere using a name you'll remember. Open My Computer then Documents and Settings and username (whatever your username is). THere are a bunch of folders. Save Desktop, My Documents and Favorites to some removable media. If you have anything like Quicken, etc make sure you save all of that also.

If you're getting rid of the old computer make sure you use something like dban to wipe it clean before you toss it/give it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: NH. NY. SC. next move, my ground condo
3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Reputation: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
If you're getting a new computer just export them. If you open up the browser you're using, click the help feature and search for "Export" it will show you how. Save them in My Documents, then burn all of that to a CD, DVD or thumb drive.

I thought you were just swapping ISPs.

If you're getting a new PC, here's what to backup. First export your favorites and save them somewhere using a name you'll remember. Open My Computer then Documents and Settings and username (whatever your username is). THere are a bunch of folders. Save Desktop, My Documents and Favorites to some removable media. If you have anything like Quicken, etc make sure you save all of that also.

If you're getting rid of the old computer make sure you use something like dban to wipe it clean before you toss it/give it away.

i am doing both, getting new computer and a new isp. how to do this is all new to me because i never had to do it before. you said i can put all the fav's in my docs and then burn them to disc? how do i wipe it clean ? not sure what you mean by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top