Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,696,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Thank you.
I am seriously leaning toward the Sony at this point. I want the BluRay and DL read/write capability, and this is their technology. No games.
My music can be stored in pristine form on an exterior hard drive, and evem a backup of that, just in case. I see that they now have huge capacity external drives.
Some manufacturers offer more speakers but I would imagine that Sony would offer good sound quality.
I will get something to remove the glare and prefer something that can be easily removed, but also can be left on the machine while closed. Pity you cannot see such things demonstrated in person.
The Blank Bluray disks are around $18-20. I decided to wait until the prices go down. Through my experience burning DVDs, there are a few that fail to write (at $0.50 that's ok - at $18-20, it is not ok).

I almost bought a Sony Vaio for $2700 but I decided to get the Macbook Pro, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:33 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,870,092 times
Sony's are full of bloatware, Acer quality is lacking, Mac's are expensive, of the 3 I'd go with a Mac.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Before buying a Mac as your main system, go to a store and check it out.
I've used a Mac mini for almost 6 months now and miss my Windows system.

Everything is easy with a Windows computer, and while some things have been easy with the Mac, I prefer Windows.

Adding my printer was plug & play, didn't have to do anything.
Networking.. still haven't fully figured it out.
Saving a file to documents. I haven't figured out how to make new folders when saving, nor navigating to any folders in documents.

Haven't installed programs except firefox.
You can even run your PC programs in the Mac, if that's what you want. Windows is a lot more difficult than Mac on just about everything. Networking is as easy and the PC.

Saving files or documents: Lest say that you save a Word document. The Mac has a "Documents" default folder, where all the documents are saved to. Look at the applications on the Dock (the bottom of the screen). You will notice a trash can icon, and to its left, a "Documents" folder. Click on this folder once, and then choose "See on the Desktop." You should see your documents on the desktop now. Double-click on your file, and it automatically launches the application you used to create the document (Word, Excel, etc.)

You also have the option to save documents (or whatever you want) to any other locations. Lets say that you are creating a Word document and want to save it to a new folder, or even to the Desktop. In this case click on "Save As" give it a name if you want, select the location you want it saved to (or select NEW FOLDER), then click on SAVE. You can find and choose all the options you want in the SAVE AS window when it appears on the screen after choosing "Save As." So, you can save documents to the Word's Documents folder, or the Computer's Documents folder on the Dock, to the Desktop (without a new folder), or to a new folder on the Desktop, or to an external hard drive, etc.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM

23,787 posts, read 33,229,160 times
Ok, I just tried to save a picture and see that it's a small box that comes up, but after taking a sec to actually look, yes, I can do what I need to do, I see an arrow now that i can click to make the box have more options.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers