Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it's the Inspiron 530 that starts at $679 (third to the right). I see that they are only offering 64 bit Vista for the quad or XP for another $120.

IMO, for that extra $120 you can buy a 2nd hard drive and an OEM XP (or vista) then you can switch the drive and use XP until you need 64 bit or spend that money on a new printer.

Back to the original question.. what printer do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 PM

492 posts, read 962,066 times
Quote:
Back to the original question.. what printer do you have?
I'm betting on a dot matrix and he's embarrassed to say.

OK. Just kidding.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
I'm betting on a dot matrix and he's embarrassed to say.

OK. Just kidding.
He said he just bought a new one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i don't know. all this is very confusing. i'm getting a new computer and just bought a new printer to replace the one i had that only worked on windows xp. i'd rather not get a computer that has 64 bit if i'm going to have to buy another printer. i'll just get the computer that i built through dell, it's 32 bit and end all the confusion.
FWIW, chances are 64 bit Vista has drivers for it.
Does the printer say Vista certified?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
the printer i have is a lexmark x5650 model. i did just buy this printer because the last one wasn't for vista it only worked on xp. the computer i am using now is not mine i am buying a new one and the one that i posted is the one that i built through dell website.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
After 3 pages we finally get the printer model
Vista x64 drivers are available.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
the printer i have is a lexmark x5650 model. i did just buy this printer because the last one wasn't for vista it only worked on xp. the computer i am using now is not mine i am buying a new one and the one that i posted is the one that i built through dell website.
Just be sure you read the warranty info carefully.
There are a lot of lawsuits going against Dell right now.
The way it used to be, and it's been a while since I actually read it, if you have issues after 30 days, Dell can replace the computer with a refurbished computer similar to what you bought. I've seen posts where people did not get the software they paid for with the refurb.

My brand of choice is Compaq but HP is doing away with Presario's. I've never owned an HP but if they had something similar to what Dell has, I might go there instead.

Things you want to know before you buy- is there a place local to you where you can drop it off to get warranty work?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Just be sure you read the warranty info carefully.
There are a lot of lawsuits going against Dell right now.
The way it used to be, and it's been a while since I actually read it, if you have issues after 30 days, Dell can replace the computer with a refurbished computer similar to what you bought. I've seen posts where people did not get the software they paid for with the refurb.

My brand of choice is Compaq but HP is doing away with Presario's. I've never owned an HP but if they had something similar to what Dell has, I might go there instead.

Things you want to know before you buy- is there a place local to you where you can drop it off to get warranty work?
i'm using a compaq sr2170nx right right now but it's a loaner and i'm going to make my first computer purchase, but i want to get something that i'm not going to have all kinds of trouble with. i was told on one of the threads on here and they said compaq is junk. so now what should i do ? i just want a little more power and speed then i have now. we'er moving to s.c in a couple of weeks and need to get one quick.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM

How much do you want to spend? What is the max?

Do you have a computer store near you? Something like Best Buy?

Last edited by Roselvr; 01-18-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
How much do you want to spend? What is the max?

Do you have a computer store near you? Something like Best Buy?

yes, but i haven't seen anything as nice as this one seems for the money. also most of the ones i have seen at the stores are 64 bit not 32.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM

Dell To Offer Refunds After Settlement

* Stacks > News Updates

Computer maker Dell to pay restitution to Idaho customers, state says
(http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/634141.html - broken link)

Dell Customer Service complaints

Dell Gripes

Someone I know paid for same day or next day service, Dell tried to not honor it. The person was lucky as they are an attorney and was able to quietly get a new computer out of them better then what he had. Not many people end up like this. He is one of the few.

how much do you want to spend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers