Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM

573 posts, read 801,523 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4?
Quote:
"Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4? In this video, ZDNet takes to Sydney's streets to find out what people think of what they think is a Windows 7 demonstration. The results are surprising."
Is it Windows 7 or KDE 4?: Insight - Software - ZDNet Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
now, tell them to install an updated video driver on Windows 7 and write their own driver on Linux ;p, or install network drivers for Windows and attempt to get the network card to work with Linux, only to realize they have to Manually do the drivers.

Looks can be deceiving, they looked at the eye candy that KDE has, not the substance behind the scenes.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
now, tell them to install an updated video driver on Windows 7 and write their own driver on Linux ;p, or install network drivers for Windows and attempt to get the network card to work with Linux, only to realize they have to Manually do the drivers.

Looks can be deceiving, they looked at the eye candy that KDE has, not the substance behind the scenes.
And imagine their surprise when they come back from Office Depot with MS Office and Quickbooks and they won't install.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 AM

You guys are way out of date. When I installed CrunchBang Linux, it was far more troublefree than installing Windows XP or Vista. It required far fewer updates than any type of Windows. It was easier to use and maintain than Windows XP or Vista. It was much faster and more stable than Windows XP or Vista. I "never" had to worry about viruses or spyware. By adding Wine (free) or CrossOver Office ($40), it will run MS Office although I prefer the advanced features of free Open Office (easy PDF creation, etc) to MS Office.

Windows Productivity Apps supported by CrossOver Office (Linux)

Last edited by Tennis702; 03-17-2009 at 05:47 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM

your talking about 1 distro out of what, 20-30 of Linux? Crunchbag is not preinstalled on the few Linux machines that are actually being sold by dell, or HP.

I currently have One linux machine running for me. It has CentOS installed, and has been a pain to keep running. The darn thing likes to crash at least once per day. My vista machine is running now at 2 weeks, no crashes.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I currently have One linux machine running for me. It has CentOS installed, and has been a pain to keep running. The darn thing likes to crash at least once per day. My vista machine is running now at 2 weeks, no crashes.
CentOS, based on RedHat, is a much better (and reliable) server OS than desktop OS. I consider RedHat to be old school Linux. Try one of the newer distros: CrunchBang, PCLinuxOS, or Mepis for desktop use. All three have fairly new updated versions out.

CrunchBang has the least eye-candy but is the fastest and most resource-frugal of the three. Mepis is reported to work best on older PCs. PCLinuxOS, in my experience, seemed to handle the greatest variety of new and old PC hardware. A lot of folks also swear by the latest version of Ubuntu although you'll have to update some multimedia codecs, etc.

Last edited by Tennis702; 03-17-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
CentOS, based on RedHat, is a much better (and reliable) server OS than desktop OS. I consider RedHat to be old school Linux. Try one of the newer distros: CrunchBang, PCLinuxOS, or Mepis for desktop use. All three have fairly new updated versions out.

CrunchBang has the least eye-candy but is the fastest and most resource-frugal of the three. Mepis is reported to work best on older PCs. PCLinuxOS, in my experience, seemed to handle the greatest variety of new and old PC hardware. A lot of folks also swear by the latest version of Ubuntu although you'll have to update some multimedia codecs, etc.
the thing is CentOS is on my server.

I have tried several distros, that was the one I settled on for my server usage. Personally I liked sabayon, but I had a ton of problems getting my hardware to work with it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Not sure why you're having problems with CentOS. It's a clone of RHEL, and, unless you're doing something weird with it, is generally quite stable.

I have it running on my home server, which functions as our Internet gateway, proxy server for the kids' machine, print server, fax server, PBX system for both our businesses plus a few VoIP accounts for friends and family, and a host of other basic services (DHCP, NTP, TFTP, etc). It's been 100% rock-solid. The only reboots it's required have all been for kernel updates.

I also have a CentOS system running on a client's colo server. The only problems it's had have been with cPanel/WHM - the OS has been fine.

I actually prefer debian as a server OS, though. Most of my linux experience is with the various RH flavors, but I setup debian about a year ago on my latest colo machine and I really like how quick it is and how resource-friendly it is compared to RH. That said, though, I still have zero complaints about the reliability of CentOS.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM

My dad does not seem to have any problems with CentOS either, but this darn machine I have it running on does not like it. I use it for backups and printing for both my wifes and my machine. It is an older machine that was my primary one for a while, and was then relilgated down to server. It was running windows XP very stable when it was being used as my primary machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers