Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM

31 posts, read 146,342 times

Advertisements

Old PC is running WindowsXP for a looooong time. It is old, but it worked and still does.

I bought the new PC. New PC runs Vista (like it, no complaints) and at the same time I switched to a “hard wire” network from a very old WiFi network.

OK, I bought a “switch”.

NEW computer sees the LAN and the Comcast connection no problem.

OLD computer, still running XP, knows there’s a network but cannot connect to either the new computer or the Comcast internet.

Why?

I MUST at least get these two computers on the local network long enough to transfer files.

Any suggestions? Any additional info needed to help me?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:37 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
You need a router, not a switch. You new computer is getting an IP address from Comcast, the old computer isn't, so it's giving itself an IP address that's on a different network. Do you plan on keeping both computers running for a while? If so, replace that switch with a router. If not, see below:

Edit the properties on both network adapters and assign an IP address manually. Assign one computer the address 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 to the other computer. Use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on both. Leave the gateway and DNS fields blank. This will put them both on the same IP network. If you get a router, you won't have to bother setting IP addresses manually but you'll still need to configure Windows networking.

You should be able to open a command prompt and ping each computer from the other. If it doesn't work, make sure you don't have any firewalls running on either computer. Once you can ping, you need to configure Windows networking.

The easiest thing is to share your XP machine's entire C drive. Right click on the C drive and go to sharing. Share it and call it something like C.

Let's assume the XP machine is called "oldpc". If you don't know your XP computer's name, right click, properties on My Compute and look under the Computer Name tab.

Go to a Windows explorer (not Internet Explorer) window on the Vista machine and type "\\oldpc\c" without the quotes. You should then see your XP machine's entire C drive. Just browse around and drag files over as needed.

When you're done, be sure to unshare the C drive, re-enable your firewalls if you disabled them, and set your IP addresses back to "obtain automatically" on both machines.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Excellent tutorial.

After making the changes above don't expect to see the Internet. It is unlikely that the Comcast modem uses the 192 addressing scheme, so be sure to reset to "obtain automatically" as noted above.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 AM

31 posts, read 146,342 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to both of you.

The instructions are very clear. I hope to get this done this weekend.

I'll let you know how I make out or if I have any problems.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Escape it won't let me rep you yet, but I will when I'm able. Very nice write up.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Escape it won't let me rep you yet, but I will when I'm able. Very nice write up.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers