Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:49 PM

621 posts, read 3,197,127 times

Advertisements

Hi all..I'm hoping you can help. Recently when surfing the internet my computer will freeze and a lot of the web pages "are not responding" or it takes a long time to load. I don't know what this is. I do have Norton virus/spyware protection and have run the scan, but nothing comes up. So I'm not sure if it's just my connection, I have FIOS, so I don't think it would be that. I'm at a loss. It wasn't always like this, I think it's got to be some kind of virus or spyware, but how would I go about finding it if it doesn't come up on my scan? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
My guess would be a problem with Internet Explorer (assuming that's what you're using) or some toolbar that's gotten installed. Uninstall any toolbars such as Yahoo, Google, etc. You can also try resetting IE to the defaults by going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, and clicking the Reset button at the bottom. That's fixed a lot of IE problem's I'm encountered.

You might want to run another spyware scan by going to Malwarebytes.org and downloading their free scanner.

Also go to Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable and download the Firefox browser. See if that works any better.

At this stage of the game, you need to narrow down where exactly the problem lies and doing the above might shed some light on it.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
download and run Ad-Aware and Spybot
Get Ad-Aware Plus for Free with Lavasoft and TrialPay - Lavasoft
The home of Spybot-S&D!

I just used these to clean up a friends laptop that had a number of problems due to her kids downloading some game. She had scanned with McAfee which had removed some things, but just couldn't get it back to normal.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 PM

Thanks to both of you! I will try your tips and see if it helps. I am really computer illiterate so these steps are very helpful! I wouldn't have known where to start. Thanks again!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:28 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Thanks to both of you! I will try your tips and see if it helps. I am really computer illiterate so these steps are very helpful! I wouldn't have known where to start. Thanks again!
I would also replace Norton, it's a pitiful excuse for PC protection.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would also replace Norton, it's a pitiful excuse for PC protection.
Please don't give out errant advice. You are doing a disservice to those looking for help on these boards. If the OP is running version 2009 they have an excellent product. If they have an earlier version I am in agreement with you. You should find out which version of a product is being used before giving a blanket review, either positive or negative.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM

10,923 posts, read 21,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Please don't give out errant advice. You are doing a disservice to those looking for help on these boards. If the OP is running version 2009 they have an excellent product. If they have an earlier version I am in agreement with you. You should find out which version of a product is being used before giving a blanket review, either positive or negative.
It's all a matter of opinion, it's up to the OP to decide what they want to do. Symantec will have to do more than get lucky with a new release before I recommend them.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm not sure which version I have. I bought the computer new last year and renewed Norton in October. So which ever version was available at the time is the one I have.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
I'm not sure which version I have. I bought the computer new last year and renewed Norton in October. So which ever version was available at the time is the one I have.
Open the interface to Norton, if it doesn't say there, click "Help" then "About Norton" or similar.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
If the version is not 2009 you might consider replacing it. The older versions are real resource hogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers