Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 PM

47 posts, read 121,526 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell desktop with an LCD display. Last few months, the display flashes between black and grey. We have to hit it on top to get it to work. This will happen a few more times but then the monitor will continue to work as long as we are working on the computer. We have to do the same things over again once we leave the computer for over 2-3 hours. What could be wrong? Is it the display or is it the graphics card or some other thing? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Can you better describe the symptoms or maybe provide a photo? If your smacking the display to get it to work you likely need a new one.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,684,725 times
I saw something similar happen once. It was the only time in 25 years I've seen a VGA cable go bad. I carried a replacement monitor in and found the symptom remained, surprising me greatly. Changed the VGA cable (1 pound) instead of the 21" CRT monitor (~80 pounds). I learned a lesson that day.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Poor connections or bent pins will cause display problems. Sometimes just removing and replacing the connector will create a better connection and resolve issues.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I will try replacing the cable and also check the connection pins (I am at work now). As for describing the problem in more detail, here goes: If the computer has been idle for a long time (2-3 hrs, in my best estimation), no matter what stage it was in (standby, hibernate etc..) the LCD screen will start to flicker. It flickers between completely dark and the grey backlit kind of screen. The frequency is very regular. If you smack it on top a few times the display comes on with the logo of the display manufacturer. My wife has a theory that you have to smack it just when the LED power on light comes on(the LED power indicator flickers with the display) but I don't really subscribe to the theory. The display will likely start to flicker again but will work continuously after a while, almost as if it needed to be warmed up.Thanks again..

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Check the power saving options. I bet you have the monitor set to turn off after a given period of time. Change that to Never and see if it helps. Let the screen saver do the work.

Right-click desktop/Properties/Screen Saver/power/Turn off monitor.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM

Just an update: My LCD monitor's cable is hard-wired to the monitor. So trying out another cable is not possible. The pins on the other end looks good. I changed the screen saver setting such that the monitor is never powered off. That hasn't fixed the problem either. Thanks for all the replies again..

Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk1057 View Post
Just an update: My LCD monitor's cable is hard-wired to the monitor. So trying out another cable is not possible. The pins on the other end looks good. I changed the screen saver setting such that the monitor is never powered off. That hasn't fixed the problem either. Thanks for all the replies again..
I believe it's time for a new monitor. I wouldn't be surprised if yours has failing capacitors, common issue. I've repaired quite a few monitors and mothorboards that have this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers