Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM

7,513 posts, read 11,302,814 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea why my Spyware and anti virus program won't load up? I recently updated by spyware and anti virus protection from Trend Mirco. It installed properly because I have been able to run scans after updating. It's that later on when I turn on and boot up my computer the icon for this program doesn't show up in my tray area like it normally does. The icon loads up on my desktop but when I double click the icon it doesn't open. I called tech support and was told that something could be interferring with the virus protection preventing it from sometimes loading up. They said they couldn't see nothing wrong with the protection on their end. Has anyone else ever experianced something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,428,564 times
Boot into safe mode, and then launch it from your desktop icon. If that works, then there is something starting in normal causing the problem.

If it still fails, then remove and reinstall Trend. You will have to download the updates again after you reinstall it.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,885,480 times
A common cause of this is being infected with malware or other nasties. I'm not too impressed with TrendMicro. Download and run Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
A common cause of this is being infected with malware or other nasties. I'm not too impressed with TrendMicro. Download and run Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.
I installed TrendMicro on the strength of some recommendations and reviews.

I foobared. The version that was recommend was one version older than the current version. What a piece of crap. Took my laptop forever at boot. Slowed it to a crawl when it scanned. Every time it updated I recieved warnings from Windows that I was not protected (for an extended period of time). Got some update notice for what appeared to be a newer version instead of just an update. It was difficult to figure out because the wording was iffy. When I ran it it totally screwed itself up, to the point I had to uninstal and reinstall.

This was repeated on both computers it was installed on.

I am always amazed that a company that can write a program like this is too dense to actually do it right, or properly test upgrades and updates. I mean, didn't someone notice during the testing phase that this thing bogged down the computer? Or that when it updated the PC was without protection for a period of time that is simply unacceptable? Or that the increased boot times were obnoxious?

Perhaps they thought their customers would be too stupid to notice...

Old 05-02-2009, 07:03 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,885,480 times
I'm sure they'll figure it out and fix it, it only took Symantec what, 6 years or so of churning out crap to release (what I am told) is a more streamlined version

Old 05-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'm sure they'll figure it out and fix it, it only took Symantec what, 6 years or so of churning out crap to release (what I am told) is a more streamlined version
Good point. I hope they take less time than Symantec though. That was a long time to produce crap software and not "get it".

Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 AM

I'll bring it up.

Motion has two threads going.

The first (started earlier) complains about dll errors at boot.

The seconds complains that AV and AS are not loading at start up.

{tap}{tap}{tap}

Questions? Answers?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:30 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,101,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I installed TrendMicro on the strength of some recommendations and reviews.

I foobared. The version that was recommend was one version older than the current version. What a piece of crap.The version that was recommend was one version older than the current version.
That's why I like to use MajorGeeks. They normally have the latest versions for download.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,101,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'll bring it up.

Motion has two threads going.

The first (started earlier) complains about dll errors at boot.

The seconds complains that AV and AS are not loading at start up.

{tap}{tap}{tap}

Questions? Answers?
I think it is Motion's turn. I suspect the answers given are on the money.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
That's why I like to use MajorGeeks. They normally have the latest versions for download.
True, but that was the problem. The newer version ran terrible, the previous version got all the good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers