Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I have about 10 websites that I visit. I don't know where the bug came from. Your trying to blame something on me by saying I don't know what I'm doing. Don't be such an a$$hole.

I don't see the need in arguing this. I'm telling you what I experienced and what I was told. You might as well be arguing with a wall.
Hmmm, someone is a bit defensive My statement was a general one, covering the average user, your taking it personally leads me to believe maybe I'm right?

Correct on the last comment, seems I AM arguing with a wall

Again, this is not a personal attack (I am ex military), but just because an IT person is in the military doesn't give them and more knowledge than the rest of us. There are people here with 15 or 20 years or more in the IT field, what training does the military get in malware that makes their advise better than someone with 2 decades of experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
NIS 2009 caused the grief, as I already explained. Every issue disappeared after removal of NIS.
Funny that it picked on you.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
They're saying AVG invites malware into the system. They give you the free version, and you have to buy the pay version to get rid of the stuff the free version let in.

It happened on my system at home.

And another program identified AVG free as malware.
Lessee, I sell an anti-virus program, but I'm hearing that thousands and thousands of users are going for AVG Free instead. What should I do? Hey, I know! Let's set up our scanners to detect AVG as malware! That should scare some customers our way!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Funny that it picked on you.
Wasn't me, it was a client it picked on. I just needed to straighten out the mess.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
They're saying AVG invites malware into the system. They give you the free version, and you have to buy the pay version to get rid of the stuff the free version let in.

It happened on my system at home.

And another program identified AVG free as malware.
The real AVG free is not malware. There are hundreds of programs out there that say they are good stuff. They "say" you have all kinds of malware and then "sell" you the full version (or something like that) to clean up the mess, then it gives you all kinds of grief. These are termed "rogue programs."

AVG can be safely gotten from several sources, including majorgeeks, Cnet, Hippo, and as far as AVG free goes, the home site should be safe.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:25 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Hey everybody, could we get back to the main question please?

I still would like to know if anybody can recommend a few good websites with some ranking and some costumer opinions so that I can do some resarch before making my choice.

Thank you!!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 AM

We due tend to stray from the question on occasion, but it's usually to correct some grossly misinformed people posting incorect info. As suggested any of the major tech sites are a good place to look, just look at the reader opinions and not just the reviews, as many of them are biased.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:02 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
We due tend to stray from the question on occasion, but it's usually to correct some grossly misinformed people posting incorect info. As suggested any of the major tech sites are a good place to look, just look at the reader opinions and not just the reviews, as many of them are biased.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 10:52 PM

122 posts, read 427,931 times
Antivirus software is a moving target. What was great a year ago may not be the best choice today, especially free versions.

In the past I preferred AVG and Avast. However, I currently prefer Avira. ------- URL: tinyurl.com/avira9free
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNET

San Francisco, 13 May 2009 – Avira announced today that it received a CNET Editors’ Choice award for its Avira AntiVir Personal – Free AntiVirus. The coveted CNET Editors’ Choice award recognizes outstanding consumer software that represents the best available choice for quality, performance, design, service, value, and its logo is a mark of excellence denoting the best possible investment for consumers.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo++ View Post
Antivirus software is a moving target. What was great a year ago may not be the best choice today, especially free versions.

In the past I preferred AVG and Avast. However, I currently prefer Avira. ------- URL: tinyurl.com/avira9free
They've got a free boot CD scanner that works really well, able to get rid of stuff the Windows based scanners have trouble with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers