Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am thinking of changing the antivirus in my computer. At the moment I have Norton which came with the PC but it is slow and not at all satisfactory.

The problem is that if I search in the Interent for rankings of best antiviruses, each one seem to have a different opinion and it is really difficult get unbias inforamtion.

I appreciate any opinion or websites suggestions.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 AM

69 posts, read 220,251 times
I use AVG Free on my home PC for antivirus. It performs well, and you can't beat the price.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Much of it IS opinion. I prefere Kaspersky. Older (anything but 2009) version of Norton are crap, Mcafee is crap. I've been told Norton 2009 is much improved but I haven't tested that theory myself so I don't recommend it yet, others here do.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Hi there,

I am thinking of changing the antivirus in my computer. At the moment I have Norton which came with the PC but it is slow and not at all satisfactory.

The problem is that if I search in the Interent for rankings of best antiviruses, each one seem to have a different opinion and it is really difficult get unbias inforamtion.

I appreciate any opinion or websites suggestions.

Thank you
I'm happy with my Avast, along with its sidekicks, ThreatFire and KeySrambler. There's no conflict between Threatfire and whatever else you want as as an AV.

If you'd rather pay, the new Norton's is a huge improvement over its predecessors.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 AM

Thank you all for your opinons.. can you recommend a website which will do good reviews and comparison between the main antiviruses?

Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 AM

CNET does a pretty decent job of reviewing, and comparison can be done with a few mouse clicks.

Antivirus and filtering - CNET Reviews

You'll see a lot of user reviews as well, which may or may not be helpful.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
User ratings are far more useful than most website reviews or rankings. Most sites (cnet included) have constantly rated the pre Norton 2009 AV high despite it being crap.

And speaking of Norton 2009, had my fist run in with it yesterday on a clients machine, it didn't do much to change my opinion of NAV in general. Machine was randomly hanging, couldn't get the wireless to work to save my life, and the wired connection kept dropping. Uninstalled NAV, machine ran like a dream. Ran a couple scans, no viri or malware to blame the odd behavior on, just Norton doing what it's always done.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
User ratings are far more useful than most website reviews or rankings. Most sites (cnet included) have constantly rated the pre Norton 2009 AV high despite it being crap.
True, I've gotten away from a lot of review sites like cnet lately as well. It's not too bad to look at what they have to say, and then read the customer reviews to help make a decision though. You just have to weed through the crap ones like "NAV sucks! I installed it and now I can't download torrents!" and the like...

Old 05-23-2009, 07:03 AM

Thank you very much,I will definetely follow your advise.

One more thing, I was told that it is very difficult to remove Norton completely from the computer and that sometimes one has to download a specific programme to completly uninstall Norton. Any suggestions on that?

Thank you again

Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Norton does have a way of hanging around. Everyday it pops up on my screen trying to run scans but I just cancel it everyday! I haven't a clue how to get rid of it but it's not a big problem just canceling it daily! Ha!
I just downloaded the new 8.5 AVG onto my computer yesterday. I have been happy with the previous AVG I had so I will see how I like this new one now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers