Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 AM

176 posts, read 638,613 times

Advertisements

A+ MCSE talkin' here (coff coff ),

Mark my words OP, the quickest way to resolve your problem is to backup all pertinent files, format and reinstall Windows, as only Windows knows best to be reinstalled.

Anything short of that, is a postponed headache, along the lines of just, rebooting Windows, versus playing with Task Mnger.

Wishing you all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Chkdsk does not find and replace corrupt files, that is what the sfc command does, chkdsk checks a volume and repairs errors on the volume/file system, it is the NT version of scandisk, it can fix file corruption, but it does not replace individual corrupt files with new ones.

If it fixed a problem for you, it fixed a problem with the file system or repaired a corrupt file, it didn't replace a corrupt file. I agree many times, depending on the problem, a chkdsk /r will get Windows back up and running, but it won't help in this case where the OP's computer has half of a service pack installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

CHKDSK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post

Mark my words OP, the quickest way to resolve your problem is to backup all pertinent files, format and reinstall Windows, as only Windows knows best to be reinstalled.

Anything short of that, is a postponed headache, along the lines of just, rebooting Windows, versus playing with Task Mnger.

It all depends on how much time it takes to try repair/recovery versus reinstall. If I understand the OP then this happened during initial install so no data is involved. Personally I would be taking your advice and just start over.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post

In a situation where the laymen does not have the knowledge to troubleshoot such an issue, I might agree. That said, reinstalling is the slowest way to handle any situation when most issues are resolved with simple system file replacements or the like.

Tek_Freek is correct, the issue depends on time and effort. If I had a nickle for every juinor tech that suggested reinstall over a 2 min file replacement, I would be rich beyond my dreams.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
My concern is that there could've been a surge, possibly damaging some hardware.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 AM

176 posts, read 638,613 times
Hey i said "coff coff",

Meaning, instinct reigns supreme over Certifcations..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM

652 posts, read 1,784,687 times
I like the discussion. I think you all made valid points. I'd like to say as a shade tree (home mechanic reference) computer user I do not know how to selectively load files from the reinstall discs and when such a need comes up I have to a complete reinstall.
Both points, software malfunction and Hardware damage seem possible here. Has anyone heard from the OP whether or not a solution was found?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Nary a Grunion from the OP, which is irritating. Remind me again why we spend so much time helping these people?

In the hardware/software debate I come down on the side of "start over from scratch". If I understand correctly there has been no software installed other than Windows and Service Packs. Starting over with a full reinstall will either work to completion or blow up if there is a hardware problem. Good trouble shooting process. Probably take a lot less time for a newbie than trying to trouble shoot this mess.

Oh, and as a side note to the AWOL OP: Invest in a UPS. If you had one installed earlier your initial post would never have been needed.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:19 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Correction, a partial service pack has been installed

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Now that is nit picking to an extreme. Bored today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers