U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2009, 08:03 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,861 posts, read 32,776,173 times
Reputation: 22582

Advertisements

The other day I had to do a wipe/reinstall of Windows Professional and the disk that I had did not have SP2. Everything was working fine and then I decided to install SP2. The problem is that just before the installation was complete the electricity went off and now when I try to boot up the computer it will not boot.

When I go into save mode, it hangs up at mup.sys, so I am thinking that the file was corrupted when the lights went out.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this without reinstalling windows AGAIN???? Somebody help please!!

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
 
10,837 posts, read 19,701,275 times
Reputation: 10416
It's highly unlikely that mup.sys is corrupt, even in a "normal" safe mode boot that is usually the last entry you see before the desktop loads. Have you tried using the F8 boot option and selecting "Last known good configuration"? Unfortunately, getting the plug pulled in the middle of a service pack install is probably one of the better ways to cause Windows not to boot.

If last known good config does nothing,try uninstalling SP2 from the command line.

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer or your Tablet PC if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,308,563 times
Reputation: 4747
Mup.sys is the last file Windows loads before it starts going into Plug and Play devices. This involves powering up and recognizing drives, video cards, powered USB devices etc. It's possible the power outage fried part of the power supply making it to weak to power everything. This is why it hangs.

Open the case and disconnect the power leads to unnecessary devices like the CDROM and any extra non-boot hard drives. Also disconnect any USB devices (most of these draw power from the power supply) except the keyboard.

Boot it up normally and see if that helps. If it does boot, shut down and plug each device in one at a time, rebooting in between each one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 PM
 
652 posts, read 1,671,519 times
Reputation: 358
Default ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Mup.sys is the last file Windows loads before it starts going into Plug and Play devices. This involves powering up and recognizing drives, video cards, powered USB devices etc. It's possible the power outage fried part of the power supply making it to weak to power everything. This is why it hangs.

Open the case and disconnect the power leads to unnecessary devices like the CDROM and any extra non-boot hard drives. Also disconnect any USB devices (most of these draw power from the power supply) except the keyboard.

Boot it up normally and see if that helps. If it does boot, shut down and plug each device in one at a time, rebooting in between each one.
Then What? :-}
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,308,563 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
Then What? :-}
Sorry about that.

It could mean a couple of things. One, the most recently connected device could be toast. If you have access to another known good machine, connect that device to it and see if it works. If it does, you know it's not the device causing the problem. If you don't have another machine you can check it as it boots. You should be able to hear the hard drive spin up, the CDROM should have a light on the front flash, USB devices should have a light come on, fans should spin etc.

If you've checked all devices and they work fine, your power supply took a hit and should be replaced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
 
10,837 posts, read 19,701,275 times
Reputation: 10416
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Sorry about that.

It could mean a couple of things. One, the most recently connected device could be toast. If you have access to another known good machine, connect that device to it and see if it works. If it does, you know it's not the device causing the problem. If you don't have another machine you can check it as it boots. You should be able to hear the hard drive spin up, the CDROM should have a light on the front flash, USB devices should have a light come on, fans should spin etc.

If you've checked all devices and they work fine, your power supply took a hit and should be replaced.
All this info is wonderful, but considering that the OP was in the middle of installing SP2 when the power loss happened, you could probably replace every piece of hardware in the box and it still wouldn't boot, the OS is very likely corrupt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
 
28,736 posts, read 43,600,140 times
Reputation: 37716
Mup.sys is not the culprit. It's whatever file loads right after it. If it didn't load correctly it wouldn't be displayed.

Once upon a time I found a site that listed the files in order of loading so you could track down what failed. Once you know this you can extract the file from the CD. As usual I cannot find the site now. If I do I'll post it.

Have you tried Recovery Console from a Windows CD start? If the corrupted file(s) are Windows files (not SP2) then it should fix the problem. If not you are no worse off than you are now, which is reinstalling from the git go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,308,563 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
All this info is wonderful, but considering that the OP was in the middle of installing SP2 when the power loss happened, you could probably replace every piece of hardware in the box and it still wouldn't boot, the OS is very likely corrupt.
That doesn't mean the power supply or another device wasn't damaged. I can happen fairly easily.

But your right. Let's start with something easier.

To the OP, if you can get it to boot to the Windows CD, start recovery console and run chkdsk. It's easy to do and if there is a corrupt file this should fix it.

Run recovery console, log into the Windows installation.
At C: type chkdsk /r the press enter.
It will do it's thing. It may go quickly, it may take some time. Just let it work.
It will report whether or not it found and fixed any errors.

Once it's done, reboot.

If that fixes it, great. If not, then it's not the OS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 05:23 PM
 
10,837 posts, read 19,701,275 times
Reputation: 10416
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
That doesn't mean the power supply or another device wasn't damaged. I can happen fairly easily.

But your right. Let's start with something easier.

To the OP, if you can get it to boot to the Windows CD, start recovery console and run chkdsk. It's easy to do and if there is a corrupt file this should fix it.

Run recovery console, log into the Windows installation.
At C: type chkdsk /r the press enter.
It will do it's thing. It may go quickly, it may take some time. Just let it work.
It will report whether or not it found and fixed any errors.

Once it's done, reboot.

If that fixes it, great. If not, then it's not the OS.
Wow, talk about bad information. Do you actually believe that chkdsk is some magical tool that will fix every corrupt OS issue? There's pretty much no way, assuming for a minute that the hardware is good and only the OS is messed up, that chkdsk is going to get Windows going again after the rug was pulled out from under it in the middle of a service pack installation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 PM
 
3,654 posts, read 4,308,563 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Wow, talk about bad information. Do you actually believe that chkdsk is some magical tool that will fix every corrupt OS issue? There's pretty much no way, assuming for a minute that the hardware is good and only the OS is messed up, that chkdsk is going to get Windows going again after the rug was pulled out from under it in the middle of a service pack installation.
What do you think chkdsk is for? One of it's functions is to find corrupt files and restore them with a good copy. I'm not saying it will fix every problem, which is why I wrote "If that fixes it, great. If not, then it's not the OS."

I have used chkdsk thousands of times and 95% of the time it will fix the problem. It is a tool to test and if possible fix the problem.

However, I have also dealt with this very problem numerous times as a computer tech. Most likely the power supply or some piece of hardware was damaged and it needs to be replaced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top