Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

I want to change my email situation.
Email is me@mydomain.com on my website host's server.
I don't want to use gmail.com, yahoo.com, hotmail.com.
And I don't want to originate from one and use a "reply to." I mean, I think I don't.
Currently I use Outlook on a couple of machines, and will be adding an office desktop.
Too much wasted time goes into emails that are not synched.

1. Web Host offers Horde, Squirrelmail, Roundcube, and I am wondering if one of them will do the job for me. Seem to be constant work for the webmasters and developers to keep up.
I had Horde with my national firm, and it seemed primitive. Dumped it a few years ago, but it has been updated.

2. Suggestion has been made that I install an email server at home and host my own email accounts.
Seems intriguing, but expensive.

Looking for input on a good, efficient, and affordable solution.
It wouldn't have to be free, but more affordable than windows server, windows exchange, and a box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I have my own domain name and have Google host it. I had to go to my web hosting company's admin page and point the MX records to Google. The nice thing about using Google is that I can access my mail through the familiar gmail web page, imap, pop3, and my Blackberry. It's all pretty seemless and the mail all comes from my address (not just a reply-to address) since Google is my actual mail hosting company. I mostly use the web page but I do have Outlook set up to connect via imap. It's also nice to be able to access messages I've sent from the Blackberry in the sent items folder in Outlook and the web page.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Why not go private label with gmail? It is free to try then like 50 bucks per person per year.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Why not go private label with gmail? It is free to try then like 50 bucks per person per year.
I believe the $50/yr is only for their premium service. It's free for just mail and calendar for up to 25 user in a domain.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 PM

Really? It says nothing about that. Only that there is a free trial. Not like 50 per user per year is anything really compared to maintaining and managing your own server.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Oh the standard vs the premier... hadn't noticed that. They mention that standard is for families and community groups but don't make the distinction that a for profit entity can't use them. Good to know.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Well...

Hmmm.. Another web hosting firm offered to set me up with gmail, but didn't mention Google hosting, of course.

EscapeCalifornia, are you happy with Google hosting?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 PM

I seriously can't see anyone matching them for hosting performance and bandwidth, lol. I'm thinking about moving some of my smaller/independent projects over just to remove the headache of having them on my dedicated server.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well...

Hmmm.. Another web hosting firm offered to set me up with gmail, but didn't mention Google hosting, of course.

EscapeCalifornia, are you happy with Google hosting?
Yeah I like it. I'm a one person company so I just have the one mailbox along with a couple of aliases. It works well and I like that I can use my Blackberry with it and still get the spam protection. If I had employees or partners the calendar sharing would be pretty cool too. I was using Outlook with POP3 but now I don't have to deal with PST file sizes, autoarchiving, etc. All the mail is just on the server now, accessible from anywhere and I don't have to manage it. I do still use Outlook for my calendar, contacts, notes, and task so I can sync easily with my Blackberry. I have a lot of contact data in Outlook that isn't supported by Gmail's contacts. But on the mail side, it's nice to just click the archive button and get it out of the way but know it's still searchable.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
I seriously can't see anyone matching them for hosting performance and bandwidth, lol. I'm thinking about moving some of my smaller/independent projects over just to remove the headache of having them on my dedicated server.
Yeah I can't imagine wanting to run my own mail server today unless I was a huge company with a massive IT department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers