U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 05:10 PM

122 posts, read 413,880 times

Advertisements

Has anyone installed a version of Linux on a netbook and then installed Sun Virtual Box to occasionally run WinXP?

If so, please share your experience, good and bad, gotchas, and tips.

When I finally buy a netbook (1024x600 is not good enough), I would like to avoid dual-booting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 PM

8,334 posts, read 23,951,622 times
Why would you want to virtually run an OS, especially on a native computer?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Why would you want to virtually run an OS, especially on a native computer?
Because:

(1) many versions of Linux are far faster and far more resource frugal than Windows, particularly important on underpowered netbooks

(2) By default, I personally prefer using a wide variety of free and usually faster Linux software

(3) I prefer not to deal with potential "gotchas", unnecessary dual-booting complications, finicky boot loaders, or MBR corruption

(4) greater disk space utilization and flexibility

(5) my Windows "needs" are infrequent but they still exist - not all Windows software and utilities have equal equivalents in Linux.

There have been anecdotal reports that Sun's newest 3.0.x versions of Virtual Box are very efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIO Magazine

VirtualBox 3.0: an Easy Way to Mix and Match Operating Systems

I installed VirtualBox 3.0 on three different systems running three different platforms: SimplyMEPIS 8.0, a Debian Linux distribution; Windows XP SP3; and Windows 7 Release Candidate 1. In every case, it installed without a hitch within five minutes.

Once it was in place, I used VirtualBox on MEPIS to run an instance of XP within Linux. I also ran Ubuntu 9.04 within XP and, to try something really out of the ordinary, OpenSolaris 2009.6 within Windows 7. All of these "guest operating systems" ran great using VirtualBox.

What's cool about it? With VirtualBox you can mix and match operating systems depending on your needs. It also gives you an easy way to test out operating systems before deploying them.

Its overall performance was also better than that of previous versions, in particular, on systems using Intel's VT-x or Advanced Micro Devices' AMD-V technologies for virtualization on the x86 platform. This proved especially useful when moving from the guest to the host operating system (and vice-versa), with one quick mouse move. On a well set-up system, you might never know that you were actually working with two different operating systems because there's no noticeable transition as you switch from the host to the guest and back again.
I did note that of the Intel Atom CPUs used in netbooks, only a few in the Z520-Z550 range have Intel's VT-x capability.

http://www.intel.com/technology/virtualization/

Last edited by Goo++; 07-12-2009 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM

VirtualBox - VirtualBox

Portable VirtualBox 64bit (not for netbooks)

Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 AM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=10422

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers