Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm surprised computing is hidden down here in the "Science and Technology" grouping. It seems like it should have its own prominent area.

In any case, I have a question about wireless. I have a bit of a problem right now. I have two computers. One is a newer Dell Inspiron desktop with a Broadcom wireless card. The other is an older Dell Inspiron laptop, which also has a wireless card (obviously).

Both computers are frustrating me. The Dell laptop is older and the wireless has been on the fritz for quite awhile. It's a total piece of crap and I need a new laptop at some point in time, but as I just lost my job recently, I would rather not spend money on another new computer just for the moment.

The Dell desktop is fairly new. Despite this, it also appears to be a piece of crap and the wireless card for whatever reason will not detect my router downstairs. There's not any good reason for this because I can detect it with the crappy-Dell laptop (when the wireless is working) and I've also been able to detect it with no problems (maximum strength or close) on my old work PC, a Lenovo thinkpad.

In any case, the point is that I have two piece-of-crap computers and the wireless is terrible for both. I'm trying to find a solution because I absolutely have to have wireless access to look for jobs.

We're using my roommate's Linksys Wireless-G broadband router here where I live. I also own a router that is very similar to my roommate's. Is there a way to use my roommate's router and pick up a signal with my own router, and then plug an ethernet cord out of my router and run it to my desktop? Is this possible?

If not, what might be the next best solution? Should I just buy another cable modem? Is there some way to enhance the signal strength on my terrible Dell desktop wireless card? Could I buy something on the cheap to fix my wireless problem for my laptop? Basically, I'm on a limited budget here and I know I'll probably buy a new laptop once I find another job, so I'm trying to find the most cost-effective short-term solution here.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by DiderotsGhost; 07-11-2009 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Yes it can be done, the firmware of may routers will not support this, but if you install DD-WRT firmware on one of the many models that will run it, it will work.

They also make wire bridge devices that are specifically for what you want to do. Primarily designed to connect to game systems, etc. but should with a PC. Only problem most of them only have one Ethernet port

Wireless Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

Old 07-11-2009, 01:46 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Also, make sure you don't have anything metal/magnetic around the router or computers, my mother in law had the same issue, cause buy a speaker being placed on top of the router. Also if your in an old home with tin ceilings, that will seriously affect your signal.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Does the Dell pick up the signal when it's closer to the source? Strong signal or weak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers