Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times

Advertisements

This just appeared on the bottom right toolbar. The message said that it was increasing my virtual memory. what does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Windows maintains a file on the hard drive that is uses to to stick memory pages when you run low on physical memory (RAM). Normally Windows manages this virtual memory silently but sometimes it alerts you when it needs to enlarge it. I'm not sure why it sometimes tells you that. How much memory does your computer have and what version of Windows are you running? If you have less than 1GB on WinXP or less than 2GB on Vista, you'll likely to encounter more low-memory situations and thus more need for virtual memory.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Are you running XP or Vista? Vista's swap file (virtual memory) is set properly to system manged out of the box, XP's is manually set depending on how much memory was installed at the time XP was installed, it should be changed to system managed for most users,especialy if you upgraded the RAM at some point.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
I'm running XP. I've had this PC about a year and a half and this is the first time it's happened.

Now, a week later, it seems that I have to double click every time I want to access a link. On CD, Google, to read my e-mail. Weird, a I didn't change any settings. Maybe I will defrag and see what happens. I am pretty good about deleting cookies and tmp files.

I've also noticed that the settings on my toolbars have changed (before virtual memory issue came up). I never changed them, they just changed on their own. It's just this PC, not when I login from my other one, so I don't think it's a matter of someone else using my account.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 AM

Run a malware scan
Malwarebytes.org

Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Windows maintains a file on the hard drive that is uses to to stick memory pages when you run low on physical memory (RAM). Normally Windows manages this virtual memory silently but sometimes it alerts you when it needs to enlarge it. I'm not sure why it sometimes tells you that. How much memory does your computer have and what version of Windows are you running? If you have less than 1GB on WinXP or less than 2GB on Vista, you'll likely to encounter more low-memory situations and thus more need for virtual memory.
How do you know or where can I check to know how many GB I have...I have window XP on this computer.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Follow these instructions and set it to system managed

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file

You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administrator’s group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
  2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
  4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
  5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
  6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.
Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Notes
  • To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
  • For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games.
  • We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file because this can lessen the computer's performance. However, if you decide to delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 PM

124 posts, read 501,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
How do you know or where can I check to know how many GB I have...I have window XP on this computer.
Right click on "My Computer" icon. Left click on "Properties." A tab will pop up and it should list your processor speed and amount of installed RAM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers