Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,340,360 times

Advertisements

I want to buy some specialized software that I would like to be able to run on my computer at home and also on my computer at work.

I could put the software on a laptop and carry that back and forth for when I want to use the software, but I thought if it were possible it would be easier (and much lighter as I already have so much stuff to carry around) to put the software on an external hard drive and then I can plug it in to either computer when I want to use the software.

Is this possible? If so, any tips on how to go about it in the best way?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,151,705 times
Without knowing specifically what mechanism the "specialized software" employs to prevent you from installing it on two different computers, nobody's going to be able to answer your question satisfactorily.

My gut reaction is "it won't work," though. If there's something keeping you from installing it on two computers in the first place, where the files are stored won't make much difference - the mechanism will likely utilize some sort of functionality that ties it to a specific system, such as detailed hardware configuration, or at the very least, some sort of registry foolery.

If buying a second copy of the software isn't an option, you can use something like LogMeIn.com to just work on your home (or work) PC remotely when you need to use the software, or get a netbook, if the size/weight of your laptop is your concern. Most netbooks are about the same size as an external hard drive.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:49 AM

229 posts, read 332,514 times
You would have to install the specialized software on both the home computer and the office computer in order for it to work properly

You can then back up whatever you are doing on a USB flash drive or external HDD, then transfer the data between the office comp and laptop

Some USB flash drives have a capacity of 32+GB or more (you could get a smaller capacity USB FD for less), and would be easiest and lightest way to do the data transfers

Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - DataTraveler 150

Hope this helps

Edit : have just seen a post that appeared the same time as mine, if you're unable to install the program on both comps, then use the remote access PC option as explained in the post made by swagger

Old 07-31-2009, 11:56 AM

Thank you for your answers!

The thing is, I don't want to install the software on my work computer because it is their property, not mine, so I don't feel comfortable doing that.

Is "Log Me In" similar to "Go to my PC?" Which would you recommend? If I want to go that route, then am I supposed to leave my home computer on and leave my web browser up and connected to the internet?

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,721,089 times
Fwiw, if it was among Macs, you could easily do this, but with Windows, its more complicated. I assume you are talking about installing this on PCs? If you told us the software you might get a better answer.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 PM

229 posts, read 332,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Is "Log Me In" similar to "Go to my PC?" Which would you recommend? If I want to go that route, then am I supposed to leave my home computer on and leave my web browser up and connected to the internet?
Hi sorry I took so long to reply, have checked both these out and they work the same, however gotomypc starts off as a pro version, that reverts to a free version after 30 days, if you don't upgrade, whereas gotomypc starts off free, then you have to pay $20 per month, here is the link for gotomypc

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

Register and then install the software on laptop, during setup you will have to choose a password during the installation, yes you do need to have your home computer/laptop switched on in order to access it remotely also just have the internet on just to be on the safe side, however you don't need to install any software on the work computer ,just go the the gotomypc.com site

1) log in with email and password (you used when creating account)
2) you'll see an account with your email address, click on it to access it, if you're using firefox, it will ask you to install a plug in, which I did
3) use the password you used when you installed the software on your computer
4) If target computer is switched on, you'll be able to access it just like you are sitting right at it, just in a smaller window, unless you maximize it eg the computer I was trying to access was my vista laptop, from my XP desktop, so the screen resolution was a big higher, but I was able to get into my files and change

PS I wasn't able to verify my email during log in, so if I don't get one I'll have to use another email address, you get 6 days to verify the account

Hope that helped

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,562,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

The thing is, I don't want to install the software on my work computer because it is their property, not mine, so I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Then you can't do it. If you set the installation location to the external drive, that is where the files will be installed, BUT it will also lace itself into the register of the computer, i.e. installing the 'strings' that make the program run into the basic Windows installation.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
By using a program like GoToMyPC you don't need the external drive since you will be working directly with the computer that has both the program and the data on it.

And yes the PC at home has to be on. I don't think an active Internet browser is required though an active Internet connection is.

I have clients doing this and it works great. It also helps me with troubleshooting from a remote location.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
Hi sorry I took so long to reply, have checked both these out and they work the same, however gotomypc starts off as a pro version, that reverts to a free version after 30 days, if you don't upgrade, whereas gotomypc starts off free, then you have to pay $20 per month, here is the link for gotomypc

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

Register and then install the software on laptop, during setup you will have to choose a password during the installation, yes you do need to have your home computer/laptop switched on in order to access it remotely also just have the internet on just to be on the safe side, however you don't need to install any software on the work computer ,just go the the gotomypc.com site

1) log in with email and password (you used when creating account)
2) you'll see an account with your email address, click on it to access it, if you're using firefox, it will ask you to install a plug in, which I did
3) use the password you used when you installed the software on your computer
4) If target computer is switched on, you'll be able to access it just like you are sitting right at it, just in a smaller window, unless you maximize it eg the computer I was trying to access was my vista laptop, from my XP desktop, so the screen resolution was a big higher, but I was able to get into my files and change

PS I wasn't able to verify my email during log in, so if I don't get one I'll have to use another email address, you get 6 days to verify the account

Hope that helped
I don't get this part ... help!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:36 PM

Thank you everyone! For the person that asked, both are PCs running Windows. Interesting how some things are simpler with Macs. If Apple had allowed others to manufacture perhaps they would have beat the PC because in many ways they seem superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers