Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me what is a RAM?, i'm totally new with Computers .

What does RAM have?
What can it do?

and please, go easy on me, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
system ram - Google Search

The first 2 links should help

One more http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times

It is a Bighorn Sheep. They are known as Rams because of the rams (horns) on their head. Oh wait, you probably meant something else.

RAM is similar to short term memory. The information in there is used for the task at hand and once you are done with it can be disposed of or filed away. RAM is accessed faster than info on the hard drive.

The hard drive is similar to your long term memory. Lots of information is filed away for future use.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Can someone explain to me what is a RAM?, i'm totally new with Computers .

What does RAM have?
What can it do?

and please, go easy on me, .
How much RAM memory is in your computer? Your systems information in your start up menu or on your control panel will tell you. The more RAM memory you have he quicker you access the information because it will be able to hold more of your favorite files.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
RAM stands for Random Access Memory, and it's one of the important resources that determines how fast your computer will run. XP will run with about 512 megs of RAM (512 million bytes) but the higher the memory, the faster the computer will run. Of course the processor's clock speed is also another important factor that determines how fast your computer will run. If you want to use the computer just for basic home applications, like email and browing the web, 512 megs with Win XP should suffice. If you're going to be using it for gaming, at least 2 giga-bytes of RAM (2 billion bytes) is recommended.

I have a computer that I use with a flight simulator on it, and it has over 3 gigs of RAM, with a 3.2 GHZ Pentium 4 HT processor, and an AGP video card with 256 megs of memory. When I built the computer 5 years ago, it was state of the art technology. Now it's out-dated, and I'm ready to do some hardware upgrades on it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
When we 'think', we have our data, concepts, etc. in our conscious mind. RAM is the 'thinking' space of computers, where all the data, facts, etc. are temporarily kept while the computer deals with them.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Some have said that "the more RAM you have, the faster your computer will run." But this is only true to a point. RAM holds the information for the programs that are currently running. So after a certain point, determined by what you use the computer for (e.g. what and how many programs you run at once), extra RAM will do nothing for performance. It would just be unused memory. So if you just browse the internet and hardly ever use more than 512mb of RAM, there would basically be no difference between 1gig (or less) and 4gigs.

Also something to note is that there are different types of RAM, and different speeds. You are quite limited by what your motherboard can handle, but faster RAM, regardless of size, means (obviously) faster performance.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
An easy method to determine if you need more RAM is to pay attention when you are (if you are) running multiple programs or gaming. If you notice the computer running slower, you probably need more RAM. If at the same time you see the hard drive light either on solid or flashing constantly (assumes your PC has one), you need more RAM.

Here's what happens: As you work you use RAM, as explained in earlier posts. When you open multiple programs you use more RAM because it has to keep track of more temporary data. Playing games will usually have the same result because most are graphics intensive, which uses a lot of RAM.

So as you use up the available RAM you may come to the point where all available RAM is in use. Now what? Your PC certainly isn't going to just stop. Instead the computer switches over to using the hard drive for temporary data storage. By the nature of the way computers and RAM work this data is swapped out constantly. Since hard drive In/Out access is very much slower than RAM the PC slows down and the hard drive is on all the time.

So pay attention to the speed at which the PC is running and watch the hard drive light if you have one. With some drives you can hear them working. If you can hear the constant clicking from the drive that is also another good indicator. This is something to check for if you do not have a drive light.

If you think you need more RAM post here and someone will walk you through learning how much your PC can take and how to find the right chips to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers