U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,029,699 times

Advertisements

What's the deal on "product key". I've copied it very, very, very carefully, using a flashlight and magnifying glass, and when I enter it, I get the message that it is incorrect. What is it possible to do wrong?

I'm using a newly-purchased computer, and getting warned that I can only receive a certain number of downloads from sources like Microsoft Word, before I have to enter my product key.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,853,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What's the deal on "product key". I've copied it very, very, very carefully, using a flashlight and magnifying glass, and when I enter it, I get the message that it is incorrect. What is it possible to do wrong?

I'm using a newly-purchased computer, and getting warned that I can only receive a certain number of downloads from sources like Microsoft Word, before I have to enter my product key.
Perhaps you should start a new thread with your problem, and give more details of what you are trying to do. Crystal ball not working so well tonight.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM

42,661 posts, read 81,029,699 times
I thought I stated it pretty clearly. When somebody sends me an email with a Microsoft Word attachment, I am informed that I need to register my computer, by entering the product key. When I enter it, I am told that it is incorrect, and to reenter it.

However, I have since learned that I probably have a cheap computer, which is equipped only with a trial version of MS Word. I am allowed a specified number of accesses to MS Word by my bloatware. So the message I received is, and is intended to be, an outright lie. The fact is that I can enter my product key a million times, and the bloatware I have willl reject it a million times without telling me that it is a waste of time to keep entering the product key that it requests.

Sorry I did it wrong. I thought this was a "How to" help thread for all computers.

I hope the computer industry never starts making cars. I'd hate to try to stop in an emergency and find out that I have only a trial version of brakes.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:53 AM

14,646 posts, read 13,232,524 times
It sounds like Microsoft Office is doing this, not Windows. If so, have you paid for Microsoft Office? Many computers ship with a trial version. Is it a trial version?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

10,838 posts, read 19,959,581 times
Your PC has a trial of Microsoft Office installed, you have to pay for it to get the full version, the product key your entering from the COA sticker on the PC is for your installed version of Windows, NOT Office. Your getting upset because your making assumptions that are incorrect.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 12,538,719 times
Just go download the free OpenOffice suite and then you'll be able to open MS Word docs.

download: OpenOffice.org Downloads

Unless you want to buy MS Office.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM

2,170 posts, read 7,258,369 times
Or get an older version of Microsoft Works. Works 2006 and earlier include a full version of Word and you can buy them for less than $40 in the OEM version.
I find it's all I need. Works has "light" versions of the rest of the MS Office Suite. It will open Excel documents.
I get mine from Viosoftware.com. Good company. You may find it for less elsewhere.
Or try IBM's Lotus Symphony. It's free and works with MS Office apps.
IBM Lotus Symphony
More user friendly than Open Office.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,853,569 times
The product key on a sticker on the computer is for Windows, not Office.
The product key for Office is in the packaging that came with Microsoft Office.

There was also a recommendation to purchase "Works", personally I would not give 2 cents for that lameware. Open office, which is also free, is a much better option.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 AM

14,646 posts, read 13,232,524 times
One thing you can check is to look in Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and see if the Office 2007 listing is for a trial version. That might clear up what is going on here.

What do you see there, jtur88?

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-20-2009 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: creative spelling

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 AM

20,455 posts, read 21,044,380 times
Uninstall the trial. You can get the Word Viewer (basically a read-only version of Word) from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

You can also install OpenOffice, as others suggested, and have most of the functionality that MS Office provides.

Or you could tell people to stop sending you attachments in proprietary formats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers