Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times

Advertisements

I have several flash drives, different makers but all generic, different capacities. I'm trying to copy lots of files so I can switch them to my new computer. No matter which one I try, I get a 'new hardware found' screen, tell it to find the software in the computer (it does), and try to copy files. Then I get an "Access denied - you do not have these rights" to do anything! I'm using XP Home Ed on my old computer, the new one has XP Pro. Why, oh WHY won't it let me copy files, or do a 'save as'? If I have to use CDs it will make me crazy. I'll have to insert hundreds of files into each other, then find the ones I want again, and save each document separately. Since when does anyone need rights to use a flash drive? I thought it was essentially the same as using a disk, only it gets plugged into a USB port instead.

***pulling my hair out***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
How big are the files you're trying to copy to it? What happens if you right click in the flash drive in Explorer and choose New..text document?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Are you sure it's not one of the U3 (or similar) flash drives that creates a virtual CD-ROM device and you're not trying to save files to that drive instead of the one intended for storage?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are you sure it's not one of the U3 (or similar) flash drives that creates a virtual CD-ROM device and you're not trying to save files to that drive instead of the one intended for storage?
No, these are regular flash drives. A couple are a year and a half old, but they've been in storage. The files are WordPerfect documents, not all that big - mostly anywhere from 3-30 pages, because I have to use a large font size. I didn't even know there was a virtual CD thingie - there wasn't anything like that available when I got these, or at least I didn't see any. My computer refers to them as 'USB mass storage devices.' One would think if the computer recognizes them, it could deal with them. The guy who built my computer used a flash drive to re-install some of my old programs when he added a second hard drive, so I know it can read them. I also have USB mouse, keyboard, and 3 1/2" external disk drive. No problems whatsoever with them, and they are plugged into the same hub.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Is it possible that these drives were formatted NTFS on another machine, then had the permissions modified? That could explain why you can't write to them. Every flash drive I've seen has come formatted FAT32 from the factory but who knows what happened after that.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that these drives were formatted NTFS on another machine, then had the permissions modified? That could explain why you can't write to them. Every flash drive I've seen has come formatted FAT32 from the factory but who knows what happened after that.
I don't think so. I got them all on ebay, all American-made from American sellers - and it took some effort to find ones that weren't from Hong Kong, believe me. Only one wasn't in it's original packing, and according to the seller it had never been used - was a graduation thing from some MBA program in CA, a combination ballpoint pen/flash drive. All the rest were in factory packaging.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM

I googled it and it looks like it could be a setting in the registry. On the link below, there's instructions for editing the registry.

USB Flash Drive Write protection - TechSpot OpenBoards

Old 08-29-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I googled it and it looks like it could be a setting in the registry. On the link below, there's instructions for editing the registry.

USB Flash Drive Write protection - TechSpot OpenBoards
Thanks. I saved the link, and I'll try it tomorrow when I'm not so likely to drop kick the monitor into the middle of next week from sheer frustration>

Old 08-29-2009, 06:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
You might try reformatting them on the XP Home machine to FAT32.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:53 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Easiest way to get files from old computer to new computer is to pull the hard drive from the old computer and put it in a hard drive case, like these:
Cheap Hard Drive Case, External Hard Drive Cases for USB, Firewire & Portable HD Case Needs at Geeks.com
Or my personal favorite which is just the cable and the electric supply and works with any type of drive:
USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter 2020
Just hook it up to the USB/firewire port and transfer files.
Or use the hard drive case and just keep the hard drive in it and use the files when you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers