U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM

24 posts, read 65,445 times

Advertisements

Last week my computer died. I called dell to ask for help. The first thing they did was charge me $49.00 to speak with a dell rep. I paid it and found out I may need a new video card. The said I could try buying and external hard drive to save my game files. I said okay and gave my credit card number and paid for next day service. I came home from work the next day to find a fedex call tag saying I was not home and I need to pick it up at the Fedex pickup store. I have a call tag number. I called fedex to find out what happened and they could not locate the door tag number in their system. They said maybe the driver didn't scan it yet and to call back tomorrow. I called them back the next day and gave the door tag number and they still could not find it. I decided to go to the fedex pickup store anyway and it will be there. I went there and the guy at the counter said he could not find it in his system and told me to use the courtesy phone to call fedex. I am standing in a fedex store, why do I need to call customer service. He said that they have a different computer system. I told the customer service person on the phone that the counter man needs a customer number. she asked me why I was calling her when I am in a fedex pickup store. I told her that's what the guy said. She asked me to get the counter man on the phone and he said he was not allowed to talk to customer service. I gave up cursed them out and left.
The next day I got another call tag because again I was at work. I had a new door tag and I went back to the fedex store. At the fedex store the counter said said the package was under a different name and she can't release it to me. I verified where it came from and had my id with me but she still could not release it. Again I drove home empty handed and more steamed. I now called dell to cancel the whole thing and send it back. I was on the phone for two hours and I talked to every department I could. I spoke with customer service twice, technical support 3 times, out of warranty department 2 times, xps department once, out of warranty xps department once and a manager once so far. I have given order numbers, tracking numbers, service call tags, fedex door tags, control numbers my address and name well over 5 times and I am now waiting for a manager to call me back. It will be a miracle if he calls me back. They keep telling me that someone elses name is on the order and they can't find me. I told them that they found me pretty easy when they charged my credit card. I told them to please send the package back and refund me my amount. That's all I want, I will never do business with dell ever again. I offer advice to anyone dealing with this because I can't be the only one. Please write down every number you can that they give you and get every name and extension you can. It seems without any numbers, they are helpless and it also seems like they can not read information from computer to computer because I told my story over and over. I would like to thank anyone who read my entire post and I'm sorry if this kind of thing was posted before. I just wanted to rant about this and warn other people and if I didn't write my anger out, I would probably thrown my computer accross the room. I of course would by a new one, but not from dell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 27,152,053 times
So I gather your computer is not under warranty? You should have gone to a local repair shop. Nor does it sound like Dell is the problem, but your local FedEx facility.

As far a reading your entire posts, paragraphs would help..... a lot

Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM

40,519 posts, read 70,099,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
So I gather your computer is not under warranty? You should have gone to a local repair shop. Nor does it sound like Dell is the problem, but your local FedEx facility.

As far a reading your entire posts, paragraphs would help..... a lot
I can read it just fine on my Dell widescreen monitor, powered by my Dell XPS desktop.
On my Dell 2208 monitor at the office, powered by another Dell XPS, it will really pop.

Now, on my Dell E1705, @ 1600x1200, or something, I need to magnify a little to make out the font sometimes.
I could print it on one of my three Dell printers, but just don't feel the need....

And, all in all, paragraphs are definitely a great help.

And, Dell service can make me a little buggy too....

Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I can read it just fine on my Dell widescreen monitor, powered by my Dell XPS desktop.
On my Dell 2208 monitor at the office, powered by another Dell XPS, it will really pop.

Now, on my Dell E1705, @ 1600x1200, or something, I need to magnify a little to make out the font sometimes.
I could print it on one of my three Dell printers, but just don't feel the need....

And, all in all, paragraphs are definitely a great help.

And, Dell service can make me a little buggy too....
Was there a point in this, as I clearly missed it.

My last Dell service request to get a replacement power pack for a laptop, took about 5 minutes on the phone and an cute little gal in a FedEx truck delivered it the next afternoon.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Was there a point in this, as I clearly missed it.
"And, all in all, paragraphs are definitely a great help." I didn't think it was a 'rock your world' point, but I agree with you that paragraphs would have helped.

No real point involved. Gee. The thread is a rant. I was laughing to myself how much stuff I have from Dell, and how generally it has worked just fine for me so far.
Going "Buggy?" That's when the tech in India won't hang up until you tell him you are happy with the call.

Quote:
My last Dell service request to get a replacement power pack for a laptop, took about 5 minutes on the phone and an cute little gal in a FedEx truck delivered it the next afternoon.
I do have a great photo of a new $600 printer left in my driveway 15 feet from the house by FedEx ground, after a swapout by Dell.
Don't know if there was a cute driver involved or not.

And I am just a little miffed that I missed the fact that there is no driver for Vista 64 bit, and I can't use that printer now with my W7 64 bit machines. But that is as much on me for poor due diligence.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I do have a great photo of a new $600 printer left in my driveway 15 feet from the house by FedEx ground, after a swapout by Dell.
Don't know if there was a cute driver involved or not.
But again you are throwing rocks at Dell, when Fedex didn't perform to your expectations. Maybe it is your neighborhood, or your dogs, or something. Most drivers run the same route all the time, so they know the territory.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM

28,778 posts, read 44,789,351 times
Bad Dell, bad!

Not.

Dell did exactly what Dell was supposed to do: They figured out what the problem was and resolved it. They then sent you the hardware required to fix your computer. I'm not sure what the "copy the files to an external drive" was all about. For a graphics card replacement? I think I have that right. Your post is almost impossible to read without paragraphs. Did you miss that class in school?

And we have no idea what Dell sent you. A graphics card because you "might" need one. An external drive to copy your game files to because????

Fed Ex (I never use them if I can avoid it) did exactly what I would expect them to do. They screwed up.

The problem here is that you are ranting and raving against Dell when the rant should be about Fed Ex. That coupled with the fact that you called Dell instead of a local fix it shop about a computer that was (apparently) out of warranty says a lot about your thought process.

Next time come here first and we might save you a bunch of money, time and frustration...

But might still pick on you. We seem to do that a lot around here.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

15,301 posts, read 13,705,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
..... But might still pick on you. We seem to do that a lot around here.
Maybe that's why I like coming here.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,015 times
didn't dell put the wrong name on the package? that's one problem.....either way prebuilt PC's are the suck!

Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
But again you are throwing rocks at Dell, when Fedex didn't perform to your expectations. Maybe it is your neighborhood, or your dogs, or something. Most drivers run the same route all the time, so they know the territory.
??? I really don't get it...

I'm not throwing rocks at ANYONE.
I have all that Dell stuff. I shop Dell, and I buy Dell, and I regularly recommend Dell for value, and made it clear that FedEx left the printer in the drive. I figured it was just too heavy for the FedEx driver to handle, and it was abandoned. Boxed up the 5100cn goes over 80 pounds, IIRC.

Kudos to Dell for replacing the DOA printer so quickly and without hesitation in the first place.
And I even bought it refurbed through some 3rd party on EBay. I was surprised at how little hassle I had getting it replaced by Dell.

A little jab at off-shore support wasn't meant as a huge rock.
Off-shore support certainly won't keep me from buying from Dell again. It represents the global world in which we live today, and is better some days than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers