U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:19 PM

4,972 posts, read 11,277,098 times

Advertisements

We just got our first ever laptop. I've noticed cooling stands for laptops and was wondering if they're really necessary? Do these stands really improve laptop performance as stated on the packaging?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,857,545 times
IMO they just make it easier for the computer to cool itself - the fan and cooling system should be able to cool the computer sufficiently on its own.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
IMO they just make it easier for the computer to cool itself - the fan and cooling system should be able to cool the computer sufficiently on its own.
Thanks, Sayantsi!

Old 09-06-2009, 12:23 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,857,545 times
Just be mindful about using the laptop on soft surfaces, like on a blanket on your lap - if the intake and exhaust pors on the laptop body get blocked, the laptop won't be able to cool itself well enough - any hard surface can be used to remedy this.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:44 PM

28,782 posts, read 45,022,884 times
I have noticed that as my laptop gets older the fan runs more. I keep it cleaned so I think age can be a factor. I did add an inexpensive cooler and the laptop fan runs a lot less. I agree with sayantsi about not needing a cooler for a new laptop, but pay attention in a few years...

We did put one under our Tivo.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:36 PM

10,885 posts, read 20,490,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have noticed that as my laptop gets older the fan runs more. I keep it cleaned so I think age can be a factor. I did add an inexpensive cooler and the laptop fan runs a lot less. I agree with sayantsi about not needing a cooler for a new laptop, but pay attention in a few years...

We did put one under our Tivo.
Probably time to strip that sucker down and clean the cooling fins, after a year or more they can get pretty clogged up inside.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,694,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
We just got our first ever laptop. I've noticed cooling stands for laptops and was wondering if they're really necessary? Do these stands really improve laptop performance as stated on the packaging?
This is the laptop stand that I bought for my wife's laptop. It's 100% metal that acts as a heat sink that has plenty of holes in it to dump the excess heat. Wife uses her lap top for hours (plugged into the wall) everyday and the lap top stays nice and cool , never more that barely warm, all the time. It's also nice that there is no fans or other stuff to break on this stand.

Amazon.com: Rolodex 82444 Laptop Stand, Adjustable, Ventilated, Cord Organizer, Supports 15-Lbs.: Office Products

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input very much!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM

436 posts, read 862,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
The problem with laptops is the run hot with all those components crammed ito a small package and heat is a major killer of electronics it shortens their life span and laptops juat have more problems, so anything you can do to keep it cool, do it, heat is a killer.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 27,266,597 times
I was running Spinrite to repair a drive with some bad spots. This program works the HD hard for hours and hours. Spinrite monitors drive temp and will suspend if the drive gets too hot. Never had a problem in desktops, but I was repairing a friends laptop and it would stop due to a too hot drive in about 2 hours.

I had a laptop cooler which I hooked up and the drive stayed a good 15 -20 degrees cooler and Spinrite ran to completion, repairing the system. So yes they do work, but for normal operation should not be needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers