Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

My computer has been infected with the Trojan virus. I have already bought a decent spyware/virus remover in webroot spysweeper w/ virus protect but i'm still feeling the effects of the Trojans and they keep coming back. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Turn off System Restore, reboot in Safe Mode and run your scan. After the scan is done turn System Restore back on and reboot.

See if it stays clean.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 PM

605 posts, read 866,673 times
So when system restore is on - are you more prone to these pests or when system restore is off?

Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
So when system restore is on - are you more prone to these pests or when system restore is off?
No, you want to kept system restore on. Having system restore on will make no difference in whether your computer becomes infected with malware or not.

Since system restore points are often created by the OS or by certain software programs, if you have malware on your computer it will also be included in whatever system restore point that was created when the malware was active. However, malware cannot reactivate itself just by being in a system restore point. The user can inadvertently reactivate the malware if they use a "bad" restore point to restore their system.

I think it's normally better to wait until a system is clean and then "flush" the older restore points.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Having System Restore on or off has nothing at all to do with being prone to acquiring these programs. Always leave System Restore ON unless you are trying get rid of one that keeps coming back after you thought your Anti-whatever program got rid of it.

As I noted in my initial post, after you turn off restore and run your program, turn restore back on and reboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No, you want to kept system restore on. Having system restore on will make no difference in whether your computer becomes infected with malware or not.

Since system restore points are often created by the OS or by certain software programs, if you have malware on your computer it will also be included in whatever system restore point that was created when the malware was active. However, malware cannot reactivate itself just by being in a system restore point. The user can inadvertently reactivate the malware if they use a "bad" restore point to restore their system.

I think it's normally better to wait until a system is clean and then "flush" the older restore points.
Actually there are quite a few Trojans and other programs that rely on you keeping restore on (and thus saving those restore points that contain said nasty) while you try to rid yourself of them. As soon as you clean off all their junk it gets put right back on because the trigger files are in the restore. If you research this you will find countless references to going through this process to get rid of some types of malware.

OP: Keep in mind that you don't have to follow my advice.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,799 times
Default Computer Trojans

Can anyone help me to remove a ton of virus on my computer or would it easier to crash it ? I need help with either !!!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
Do you have any anti-virus protection on the computer at all?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:06 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Start with AVG (free.grisoft.com). Let it scan your PC at least twice.

Then move on to Spybot Search and Destroy. Same thing.

Then get MalwareBytes... Same thing.

Repeat ad nauseum until the system is clean.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
for sure hold on 1 minute.

down load this and run it like yesterday

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Old 10-20-2009, 02:19 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
First you need to clean off things in the virus category (virus, trojan, worm, etc.). Do that with AVG Free. Repeat . Reboot. Whatever it prompts you to do. If it won't come clean, run it in Safe Mode. After AVG is done, move on to Malwarebytes to clean off several different forms of malware, such as adware or spyware.

Then made sure you have a popup blocker enabled, pay attention to what you click on, keep AVG up to date and run Malwarebytes occassionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers